Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Considering buying a 2000 Cherokee Sport

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  shouston75 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing a 2000 Cherokee Sport. It looks very clean and has an Auto transmission. Have not had a chance to test drive yet.

What do I need to look at when considering this vehicle?

If in good condition is this vehicle worth $5k?

Thanks!

If I do get this vehicle I will be at these forums a lot! They look very informative!

#2 ·
With the engine running in nuetral (ebrake on) check the trans fluid level and smell. If it smells burnt, thank him for showing up and leave.

If it smells fine, put it in park and with the engine running, crawl around under the engine. Look at the oil pan and where it meets up with the trans. Check the axle pinions and look for wetness around the seals. Turn off engine and look in the overflow tank for discolored coolant. Pull the dipstick and make sure the oil is not milky looking.

Get it out on the highway and get it hot. Then it lots of stop and go traffic to get the temp as hot as it will go. Try to keep the heater off. Keep an eye on eth temp gauage and make sure it does not get much hotter than 210*. At that point, turn it off and then start it up again.

I woudl consider getting a reasonably cheap OBDII scanner if you plan on getting any vehicle that is 96 or newer. Plug it in and check for tripped codes.

Price is dictated by milage and vehicle condition.

#4 ·
ya 5000 for a clean 2000 with decent mileage(100-150,000) is good
check for rust on the inside bottom of the doors.
check for oil leaks usually valave covers always seam to leak(6 out of 7 i looked at did)
rear main seals sometimes pinion seals sometimes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.