CJ7 going to look tomorrow need opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > CJ7 going to look tomorrow need opinions

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
bldams123
1986 CJ7 

CJ7 going to look tomorrow need opinions

Im going to look at an 85 cj7 tomorrow. 258 straight six i think it has a t18 from the pics but i really cant tell and the owner doesnt know. It is a 4 speed.dont know how many miles are on motor but its supposed to run good only issues that i know of right now are a small valve cover leak (they already have a new valve cover they just havnt put it on yet). My main concern from the pics that the owner sent me is rust. he says that theres no rust on the frame. havnt seen any pictures of underneath the tub. the doors are pretty much shot atleast it looks that way. Hes asking 6000 it has diamond plate on the rocker panels and rear that are more than likely are hiding rust. I guess i want to know that assuming that a little surface rust on the body is the only problem what do you think its worth. Heres some pics. http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/bld304/library/
and thanks

bldams123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
bldams123
1986 CJ7 

oh and stock axels with 2.5" lift and 33" tires that are supposed to be like new
bldams123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In Huntsville there is no reason to buy a jeep with rust anywhere. You can bet that the diamond plate is covering rust. You can also bet theres going to be more rust out of sight than visible. The mileage is unknown. For 6k you should expect a unit that needs only some cosmetic work.

If you are good with tools and welding equipment, I would offer no more than $3k. If you are not inclined to mechanics I suggest you walk away from this one.

As an aside, when I was looking to buy Craigslist had a CJ7 for $6k I went to look at. It had minor rust, but the major thing was that it would not shift into gear because of a bad clutch. The owner who claimed that "it was working perfectly yesterday", told me that "this is a collectors item and cannot be expected to drive daily". I told him until he fixed the clutch so that I could at least drive it, I could not be expected to even make an offer. I asked him to call me when the clutch was fixed, but he never did.
Beware of "collectors items". They are just vehicles and there is no shortage of them out there. Don't settle.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
buying , cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.