CJ buying tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > CJ buying tips?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG4th of July Military Discount! (Active: July 2 - 16, 2014)Currie RockJock Products!!

Unread 12-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

CJ buying tips?

Okay, so I'm considering buying this old CJ I found a few streets over from me.

Don't tell Melissa. Or else she will do this to me-->

Anyhow, not sure what year it is, but it has a chevy 350 conversion, and a snowplow mount on it (which would definitely come off). I've stopped to look at it, and it's in decent shape, there's definitely body-rot going on, but I'm not looking for a beauty queen, just something I can leave the top off of all summer without worrying about. lol and the way I see it, holes in the floorboards are just like REALLY BIG drain holes. Since my fiance keeps stealing the JK, and since I really miss my TJ, and since I've sold my '69 Charger and my Camaro, I need a new project . . . My JK is the fifth Jeep I've owned, but never a CJ.

So, to the CJ guys . . . what sort of stuff should I be looking out for in particular?

RED JEEP CLUB #602
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Petescj
1978 CJ5 

Look over the frame really good. Up around the rear wheels and look for cracks around the steering box and where the plow was mounted. What year is it and is it a Cj-7 or a Cj-5? How are you going to be using it? Rockcrawler , weekend warrior or daily driver?
Petescj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure on the year/model. Haven't actually talked to the guy yet, just stopped to look at it. It's been sitting in the same spot for almost a year, so I'm hoping I can low-ball whatever he's asking for it.

Like I said, it's in decent shape; the interior doesn't have any giant holes through the floorpan, the sheetmetal is all straight, there is some rust at the bottom of the fenders and quarters, but nothing too bad.

I'm just looking for a simple rig to play with. Maybe throw some 31s or 33s on it eventually, mild lift. take the hard-top and full doors off, toss them. Find a bikini top and half doors, and have something to cruise around in on days off, sling some mud without worrying about a brand-new interior, take it down the tight trails without worrying about tree scrapes on brand-new paint . . . your basic "trail beater".

Which we all know will evolve into D44s, lockers, new gears, 37" tires, new tub and rebuilding the smallblock, etcetera . . . . stupid projects. Never finished.

RED JEEP CLUB #602
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
Petescj
1978 CJ5 

If you go with 33s Id upgrade to one piece axles in the rear. When your under there checking the frame also look at all the "ears" connecting to the frame and body mounts. They have a tendency to rust out. From what youve explained seem like it has the typical Cj rust. I usually tend to check out all the things that would need repaired that I cant do myself such as any welding. Take it for a ride and feel out the steering and brakes. Look for any hacked in or rat nest wiring as this can be a nightmare as well. When you find out what year it is we'll tell you the specs of what it has. Good luck
Petescj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.