Car fax reported damage on LJ I was considering buying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Car fax reported damage on LJ I was considering buying

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Car fax reported damage on LJ I was considering buying

I was looking into buying an LJ and took it for a test drive. It seemed to be in a good shape although I found the steering somewhat light.

I was pretty happy about it and thinking about the deal I could make with it for my JK until I ran car fax.

It says structural damage reported 3/6/12

Another entry says accident / damage reported 3/6/12

Later in the report it says 3/6/12 Damage Report Damaged reported after accident or other incident. Damage to right front. Structural damage reported.

On 4/24/12 there is a two wheel alignment performed.

After that I see a few title updates within a few months of each other then on 7/15/13 it went to auction.

It appears to have spent most of its life in California but now is in Lafayette Louisiana at a used car dealer. The mileage is 98,624.

Here is a link to it.

http://zbestcars.com/Used-2004-Jeep-...LA/vd/15893941

It looks better in person than in pictures and runs fine. Other than the feeling somewhat light, I guess since I am used to my JK on 35's, it drove fine.

My intention was to trade my built JK for it and end up with $10K in my pocket. I paid cash for my JK new on the lot in July 2007, so I am not trying to pay it off or something. It's just several problems have cropped up with it and I don't want to deal with it anymore, especially since some of it is computer problems that the dealer cannot even fix.

I thought I was all set to buy this LJ and make the deal, with the only negotiation being how much money I end up with at the end of the day.

Now, with this car fax, I don't feel so good about it. I was wondering if there was a way I could find out how severe the damage was from the wreck. No air bag deployment was reported, so that to me seems like it could not have been that bad of a wreck.

What do you guys think? Any idea how to find out the details of the wreck and the damage caused?

When I talk to them tomorrow about it, I am going to ask about bringing it to the Jeep dealer or my favorite off road shop to get checked out to make sure that the repairs from the wreck were completely fixed and they didn't just slap shiny new paint on without fixing everything correctly.

Unread 11-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

At that price I wouldn't go near it after hearing the CarFax.
Too fishy and remember that a CarFax rarely has the whole story.
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
nwiTJdave

I would be worried still regardless of what your shop says. If its too good to be true, it probably is. If you could get it for around 7-8k then it may be worth it but with potential frame damage, I would personally steer clear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Indy

Carfax makes really expensive toilet paper that doesn't work very well imo. But 12k for an 04 is a bit much.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's worth having a shop take a look at it, it may be ok. A good shop will be able to tell if it was repaired poorly, hit hard enough to be questionable, or just had cosmetic damage. "Structural Damage" is vague on Carfax as my old Civic had a carfax report with it but it was because a police report was filed. The girl that owned it before me slid off the road into a snow pile in the winter and it resulted in a few scrapes/dings and a missing passenger mirror, nothing major though.

If it turns out ok, I definitely use that information as a bargining chip in the negotiation though.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I were you I would have the Alignment Checked before even thinking of purchasing as well as having the entire Jeep gone over by a reputable Technician.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I found another LJ to look at about three and a half hours away.

I really don't care for the looks of an LJ but they are more practical than a TJ. The main thing is the towing capacity of an LJ is more which comes into play with my enclosed motorcycle trailer. My 4 door JK handles it easily and I am getting rid of it due to numerous problems, some of which the cause has yet to be determined therefore cannot be fixed. That's why I am looking at LJ's. In this process, I found a nice TJ but the towing factor worries me, hence the search for the right LJ continues.
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I found another LJ to look at about three and a half hours away.

I really don't care for the looks of an LJ but they are more practical than a TJ. The main thing is the towing capacity of an LJ is more which comes into play with my enclosed motorcycle trailer. My 4 door JK handles it easily and I am getting rid of it due to numerous problems, some of which the cause has yet to be determined therefore cannot be fixed. That's why I am looking at LJ's. In this process, I found a nice TJ but the towing factor worries me, hence the search for the right LJ continues.
I pull trailers with my LJ with no problems, depending on the size of course. I pull a little 10' trailer no problem. I have pulled my boat with it, but I would not recommend that. 20' wake boat.
and BTW, my LJ is for sale, not sure what price range you are looking at though.
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Gabe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is the title clear or salvage?

Something like that goes for over $15k around here. Could be some minor fender damage that had to be reported if the owner fixed it through insurance.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=12&Log=0

Get the frame checked out, make sure it's straight.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
rcrupper
2007 JK Wrangler 

Tell me details on the jk. I might be Interested as it sits. Perfect candidate for an engine swap.
rcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Traded the 2007 in on a 2014 today. I got a decent deal on the sale and they gave me $18K on the trade in. Part of the deal involves swapping all my stuff over from the old Jeep to the new one.
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

6-7000 $ is as much as I would want to be in that after the car fax. If you get it, or have another jeep. Join LouisianaOffroad.com. It is the local forum for our state.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.