Buying a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying a YJ

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
YJSteveD
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Buying a YJ

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for a few weeks (Since I've been searching for a wrangler) and it's got me all excited about buying one. I'd be using it as a daily driver. Wouldn't be taking it offroad too much.
I finally found what I think is a good one, just want your guys' opinion.
It's a blue '95 YJ wrangler for $3600. 4cyl 5speed, a lot of it looks stock. It's got an aftermarket radio and soundbar, and it comes with a black soft top that looks like it's in good condition.
The doors have locks on them that work, which I guess is rare according to the "You know you drive a YJ when..." thread (Reached page 300 last night!). It's got a rust spot on the rear fender, the windshield frame, and a rust hole on the front fender. It's got a solid frame, about 60% tread left on the tires (Stock sized tires), and it's got 106k miles. It's got no lift. It has a rip in the drivers seat which is no problem. The interior could use a good cleaning, but that's no problem either.
Here's the link... http://www.vernonlavignemotors.com/1..._140785229.veh
What do you guys think? Should I get it? Should I talk them down on the price?
Thanks!

YJSteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You are going to hate owning an underpowered four cylinder. Save an extra grand and find a six cylinder.
Duck Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
subungal
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wow. underpowered 4. i have one and often wonder why people put them down?. pulled a 14 foot boat through the mountains without issue, and did not crawl up any of the hills. also saves me a ton of $$$ at the pumps as a daily driver. They're bomb proof and you can get over 300,000 klm on them if taken care of. They'll run at 3000 rpm all day. Yes , if you are going to put the big lift on it and the 37 IROK tires , then i suppose you need a six to get it moving. I've read, with interest how if you don't lift it, you are a noob???? what a joke! Not everyone wants to raise their jeep 4.5 inches and put the huge tires on it. if you do, thats fine. i like the look. but its not for me. i set up my jeep for overlanding. not bogging, or crawling. small lift, good tires, and you can go anywhere! the willy's that won the war was a 4 went everwhere- none were lifted or had huge tires. you want a 4 banger yj steve? buy it. have fun! don't let people scare you off. i love mine and haven't been anywhere that i wished i had a six.
subungal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Scarabotti95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subungal View Post
wow. underpowered 4. i have one and often wonder why people put them down?. pulled a 14 foot boat through the mountains without issue, and did not crawl up any of the hills. also saves me a ton of $$$ at the pumps as a daily driver. They're bomb proof and you can get over 300,000 klm on them if taken care of. They'll run at 3000 rpm all day. Yes , if you are going to put the big lift on it and the 37 IROK tires , then i suppose you need a six to get it moving. I've read, with interest how if you don't lift it, you are a noob???? what a joke! Not everyone wants to raise their jeep 4.5 inches and put the huge tires on it. if you do, thats fine. i like the look. but its not for me. i set up my jeep for overlanding. not bogging, or crawling. small lift, good tires, and you can go anywhere! the willy's that won the war was a 4 went everwhere- none were lifted or had huge tires. you want a 4 banger yj steve? buy it. have fun! don't let people scare you off. i love mine and haven't been anywhere that i wished i had a six.
agreed. Having a 2.5 w/ 4:10's, 45-50 and still in 4th gear is comfy for the 6'' of lift and 33's i have on it
Scarabotti95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
YJSteveD
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, guys!
My dad told me not to get the 4 cyl, but after reading up on it, it seems pretty reliable and has more than enough power for what I'm gonna be doing. Which is basically just driving on the street.
A few questions, though. Is it enough power to put a winch on it and get someone out of the snow? I'm not exactly planning on it, but it's just an idea I've had in my head. And what are sway bars, and why is everyone taking them off?
One more. Would stock tires with no lift be alright for extremely light offroading? Like through a small field, or something like that. My buddy has a ton of land, mostly flat with a few hills, and I know one day I'm just gonna look at it and not be able to resist trying it out. And if I was to get a lift, what's a good price range to spend on it? Including tires.
I'm new to everything about jeeps and 4 wheel drive, I've owned sedans since I've started driving haha.
Anyways, thanks a ton for the replies. I should have the wrangler by Monday, maybe Tuesday. So if I've got a high enough post count, I'll post up some pictures!
Unread 11-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
LarryGrant
2008 JK Wrangler 

guess I dont get the winch question? you dont power the winch with the motor. it is electric. and when pulling someone with a winch you will be sitting still and letting the winch pull not the jeep. Going thru a field even in a stock jeep with stock tires should be no problem. and prices for a lift tires and everything could be 1000-10000. you cant just lift a jeep and toss 37s on it and be good. then you will have to get a slip yolk eliminator, deeper gears and your stock axles wont stand a chance. your best bet is start slow and work up and do a ton of research before doing anything. My 05 is stock except for 31 inch tires on it. will it rub off road sure it will. do I take it off road. NOPE! (yeah yeah yeah flame me if ya want). It is fun for me just to run easy trails and fire roads. anyways good luck and have fun.
LarryGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
YJSteveD
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
guess I dont get the winch question? you dont power the winch with the motor. it is electric. and when pulling someone with a winch you will be sitting still and letting the winch pull not the jeep. Going thru a field even in a stock jeep with stock tires should be no problem. and prices for a lift tires and everything could be 1000-10000. you cant just lift a jeep and toss 37s on it and be good. then you will have to get a slip yolk eliminator, deeper gears and your stock axles wont stand a chance. your best bet is start slow and work up and do a ton of research before doing anything. My 05 is stock except for 31 inch tires on it. will it rub off road sure it will. do I take it off road. NOPE! (yeah yeah yeah flame me if ya want). It is fun for me just to run easy trails and fire roads. anyways good luck and have fun.
Oh, I thought it was connected to the motor or something. Sorry I'm totally new with this, learning new things every day!
So here's my plan. First off, I need to buy a hard top. After that, I'm gonna start saving up for a winch. Hopefully I'll be able to get one by mid January. Then I'll save up for a good lift with tires. I'd like to get that done during the summer, maybe late spring. Between the winch and the lift, I'm sure I'm gonna come up with new things I want to do, so there might be a delay with the lift.
Thanks for the help!

Tags
1995 , buying advice , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.