Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Buying a Wrangler... I hope

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  kenmel 
#1 ·
Well I'm 17 years old and I owned one jeep so far but I just sold it. My jeep was a 1995 4 cyc. The reason why I sold it is to get a wrangler with the 4.0l. I would like to get a lifted jeep with at least 33's. I feel that it would be better to buy already built to save me money and I lack in the experience to build one. I'm looking to get another jeep i have around $5,000 cash I don't know which year to get. My question is should I save more money to get the TJ or just settle with a nice YJ. So please help me out I'm a new jeeper and inexperienced.

#5 ·
I wont be able to make payments because I cant take out a loan only 17. I'm going to buy it with cash once i get it if I choose to wait. How much would a 4.0l tj cost with around 100k miles with a lift and tires? If it is to much I guess I'm going with a yj.

#10 ·
I think a TJ is worth the effort. Get the second job and save some more $'s but keep looking for a TJ. There are clean good deals out there, but you have to really look for them. The key is to be PATIENT!...certainly not an easy think for a 17 year old ...or most anyone else for that matter.

The other thing to thnik about is this. Yes you can save money by buying a TJ that is already built.. BUT.. if it is not built right you can be buying a lot of expensive headaches to fix...sadly there are a lot of mickey moused rigs out there so " Do Your Homework ", while you are saving a few more bucks to buy the right TJ, so that you will recognize the good from the junk.
Lastly... often times it is worth the extra effort to learn how to do things right yourself beause no one will ever care or treat you rig as well as you will. Good luck.

Bill J.

#13 ·
I have owned both YJ and TJ 4cyl and 6cyl. Save for the TJ. Your best bet would be shop around your home town. Anything online or around this site will cost you more than your cash. I found a 1999 TJ 4.0l with 119000 great condition for $2500 stock. They are out there you just need to shop around.

Good Luck

#16 ·
When do you turn 18? Save untill then and then you will have a nice downpayment and you can finance the rest and get a much newer one. You may still have a hard time getting financed though without a cosigner having 0 credit history to your name, but the large downpayment can only help, and you have to build credit somehow anyway.

#18 ·
Im in the same dilema ur in. Im 16 and have a 89 yj 4 cly and want to sell it and get a 4.0 6cly. I have about the same price range as you do, 4-6k. Ive done some researching and shopping and found that you can find a clean, low mileage, lifted yj priced less than a stock tj, most of the time. but like some of the other ppl said, there are deals out there, so search around(craigslist). ive found that tjs are just a more modern jeep and i think thats y ppl like them so much. but if ur interested in a yj, search for a 91 and up model, bc 87-90 6cly were carbuerated. Another thing to consider when looking at prices is to see if the jeep comes with a top and doors. good luck:)

#20 ·
I'd buy a last year yj (95) for I believe it was honestly the most reliable year (for all jeeps in general) But thats just me :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.