Buying a WJ help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying a WJ help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
neonzion
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Buying a WJ help!

Hello, this is my first post here. I have an 89 XJ with a 4.0L and my parents have 2 Cadillac's. Times are tough so they want to trade both for a WJ. Now I know there are hundreds of threads all over the internet on 4.0 vs 4.7 but here it is from a different perspective. Im 19, and I have experience with the 4.0, and just that engine. Considering i would have to do EVERYTHING to their WJ, would I be able to handle the extra difficulties and learning the 4.7 would present. Or should i stick to the 4.0 that I know very well? They are planning on lifting 2-4 inches and getting new rims/tires up to 32s. I want the best gas mileage, the least amount of work, the cheapest, and overall simplest. I've spents HOURS reading 4.0 vs 4.7 but for an inexperienced teenager like me with my parents trusting me fully on this decision and all work, is the 4.7 still a no-brainer like many say?

Thanks!

neonzion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Adam013085

You won't get good gas mileage with any jeep especially once you start putting on lift tires etc.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
neonzion
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i didnt want good gas mileage, i want the best in this situation. i dont want 17mpg on a 4.0 with stock suspension and stock tires if i could get 18 mpg on a lifted 4.7 on 32s (just as an example)
neonzion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
GCMatt
2001 WJ 

I test drove both 4.0 and 4.7 WJs with the stock tires. Now, I freely admit that my right foot carries about 80% of my body weight, but I felt the 4.0 was a little out of its league with the bulk of the WJ. I felt much better about the 4.7. Adding a lift and bigger tires isn't going to make that any better, even with re-gearing. The WJ is not a light vehicle, and my opinion is that the 4.0 isn't up to it, even though it is a fantastic motor. The 4.7 has more torque than its horsepower rating would lead you to believe. The 4.7 HO is even better, if you can find one of those. That will help keep it driveable if you put bigger tires on.

Depending on what they/you want out of the 4x4 system, you can also get the 4.7 with QuadraDrive, which seems to be thought of as the better choice by people that know what they are doing. Not available on the 4.0.

Gas mileage-wise, you're probably not going to see anything like 17 or 18mpg with bigger tires, either way. With my heavy foot, I run about 14-15 in city driving and can hit 18 on a long interstate run with no traffic and short distance from the gas station to the highway, IF I'm willing to settle for 65. My buddy squeezed 20 out of the same freeway trip in the same vehicle, when I let him borrow it, but I have no clue how he does it. I suspect he just runs 60mph. That is a stock WJ, 4.7 with QuadraDrive and a set of Bridgestone Duellers.

Since it wasn't mentioned, your parents are getting rid of both their vehicles and getting a single WJ, which they intend to lift. Presumably that means they intend to offroad it, since they shouldn't need a lift in the city (and lift + bigger tires increases operating costs, which seems to be important to them). It is generally considered a bad idea to offroad your daily driver. Because what do you do when you break an axle or blow something up? If that is their intention, it might be wise to keep around one of their vehicles to take care of daily driver duties.
GCMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.