Buying a TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying a TJ

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
jasond7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Buying a TJ

I've never had a jeep before and this is also going to be my first time buying a used car also. I'm just curious about what sort of things I should be looking/listening for when I go to test drive these. I'm looking at late 90's early 00's models sub $9000. This is mostly just going to be a daily driving vehicle. I suppose I should insert here that I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of cars, but given a detailed guide I can figure out how to do most things (I was able to replace the blower motor resister on a different vehicle without too much fuss).

If the tips and advice you guys give here seem above my head I was also thinking of just taking it to a Jeep dealership/mechanic and have them some general diagnostics on it before I buy. Anything specific I should ask them to do. I've gone through the buyer's guide for the TJs and there looks to be a wealth of information there for any future issues I may have. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

jasond7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
JimWoods
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Considering all that you said: first time car buyer, spending 9000$ or less, not much mechanical experience with autos - I ask a friend, parents, or any1 u know to help u purchase this jeep. You need to make sure the jeep is mechanically ok and you don't want to get rip off in the purchase.- title, cash, title transfer, fees, all sort things could happen when u buy a car from individual or dealer.
JimWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.