Buying out of state and driving home? -
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 241
Buying out of state and driving home?

Hey folks. I'm hoping I can find some people with experience doing this.. Have you ever purchased a vehicle from out of state and driven it home?

After months of searching, I found the perfect Jeep. The only problem is its over 200 miles away in another state.

Now I have no issue getting there.. The flight is cheap.. taking a train or bus is even cheaper.

Do I go to my DMV or one in the state that I'm purchasing in?

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks so much fellow Jeepers!

cherox is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: lATROBE
Posts: 676
Here in PA both parties need to sign title before it leaves state and it must be notorized. Like 10 dollars here
joeydominick is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 65
I bought a car in DE and drove home to PA. Only thing was there's no sales tax in DE and 6% in PA. Just when I thought I was getting away w/something they had to tear up the contract and re-print w/PA sales tax
Reluctant is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Carbondale, IL
Posts: 1,665
From my understanding you pay sales tax on a vehicle in the state you reside in. As far as transporting it, in Illinois you must have plates before you are on public roads, other states may be different.
Adam013085 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South East
Posts: 75
In MA you need:
1 a valid plate/registration that is in your name
2. the title of the new vehicle
3. bill of sale for the vehicle.

You are then allowed to drive that vehicle for 7 days from the date on the bill of sale.
What state are you buying from?
What other states are you traveling through to get it home?

I know Maine allows the setup/paperwork outlined above because I recently bought a truck up there and drove it home. I checked with the Maine state police
drewabril is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 241
Thank you for the replies. The Jeep is for sale in New Jersey. I haven't looked at directions thoroughly yet but I believe we'll pass through New York to get home. If I buy the Jeep, I am under the impression that the temp tag from New Jersey will be illegal in MA. Hopefully I'm reading that wrong.
cherox is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South East
Posts: 75
Are you certain you can even get temp tags in NJ? Are you buying private party or from a dealer? They may not issue them to a non-resident..but i have never dealt with them before so IDK. If not, maybe NJ is okay with the Mass method of transferring tags that I mentioned above.

If the issue you run in to is MA not honoring those tags then the easy solution is drive right to the MA border and pull over, put on your MA tag and drive the rest of the way home. (again make sure you have Bill of sale and Title with you). As far as your route, the most direct way (at least to the Boston area) is through NY, CT and RI then finally in to MA. It may make sense in this case though, to take a longer route home to avoid legal issues in those states. The best advice I can give is:

1) make sure you can get temp tags in NJ
2) call the DMV and/or state police dept of each state and get their take on driving through
3) choose your route based on the responses from #2

orrrr... just put your MA tags on it and drive really carefully home and don't get pulled over
drewabril is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 8,006
I did this same thing when I bought my TJ. I live in TX, found a TJ in NC. Agreed on the deal. Got the VIN and mileage from the private seller, went to TX DMV and got a 30 day temp tag for about $25. Got temp insurance coverage from my agent. Got a cheap 1-way ticket to NC. Did the deal on the seller's kitchen table. Drove my "new" TJ home 17 hours, 1100 miles, 6 states, the next day. Over the next couple weeks got the whole thing insured, inspected. tagged/titled as a TX vehicle.

Not hard or costly at all. Would do it again if need be.

Go to your state's DMV and find out what paperwork is needed, every state is different.

denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South East
Posts: 75
According to Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 90, Section 2: Just use your MA tags as outlined by state law for the "Registration Grace Period" and you're fine.


Originally Posted by MA RMV
Do I have to purchase a vehicle in
Massachusetts to take advantage of this

A: No. The law does not require you to purchase a vehicle in Massachusetts. If you comply with this law the car you purchase will be considered to be legally registered in Massachusetts and may be driven in Massachusetts. Each state allows validly registered vehicles from each other state to op-
erate on its roadways. To help ensure that police officers in other states recognize that the vehicle you purchase is considered legally registered in Massachusetts, make sure you carry the documents identified in the Answers
to Questions No. 12 or 15 (as applicable.) You should also carry a copy of the law (see page 4) if you intend driving through other states
Happy travels. Make sure to post up some pics
drewabril is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tyler
Posts: 4
Your vehicle is legal or not based on YOUR state of residence, not the states you drive thru, so check with your local DMV. Tell them you are buying a vehicle out of state and bringing it back and they will tell you what paperwork you need. Some states will issue you a temp tag, others allow you to post the bill of sale in the back window and use it for your temp registration for a certain period.
Be sure to get insurance, tho....
TexDex is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 247
I work at a car dealership. I have picked up people at the airport and all. What we do is give them 30 day temp tags and they would pay there state taxes in there state. They would also have to pass there own inspection and emissions in there state
WNUNEZJR is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome