Buying out of state and driving home? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying out of state and driving home?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Buying out of state and driving home?

Hey folks. I'm hoping I can find some people with experience doing this.. Have you ever purchased a vehicle from out of state and driven it home?

After months of searching, I found the perfect Jeep. The only problem is its over 200 miles away in another state.

Now I have no issue getting there.. The flight is cheap.. taking a train or bus is even cheaper.

Do I go to my DMV or one in the state that I'm purchasing in?

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks so much fellow Jeepers!

cherox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
joeydominick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here in PA both parties need to sign title before it leaves state and it must be notorized. Like 10 dollars here
joeydominick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Reluctant
2013 JK Wrangler 

I bought a car in DE and drove home to PA. Only thing was there's no sales tax in DE and 6% in PA. Just when I thought I was getting away w/something they had to tear up the contract and re-print w/PA sales tax
Reluctant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Adam013085

From my understanding you pay sales tax on a vehicle in the state you reside in. As far as transporting it, in Illinois you must have plates before you are on public roads, other states may be different.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In MA you need:
1 a valid plate/registration that is in your name
2. the title of the new vehicle
3. bill of sale for the vehicle.

You are then allowed to drive that vehicle for 7 days from the date on the bill of sale.
What state are you buying from?
What other states are you traveling through to get it home?

I know Maine allows the setup/paperwork outlined above because I recently bought a truck up there and drove it home. I checked with the Maine state police
drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Thank you for the replies. The Jeep is for sale in New Jersey. I haven't looked at directions thoroughly yet but I believe we'll pass through New York to get home. If I buy the Jeep, I am under the impression that the temp tag from New Jersey will be illegal in MA. Hopefully I'm reading that wrong.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you certain you can even get temp tags in NJ? Are you buying private party or from a dealer? They may not issue them to a non-resident..but i have never dealt with them before so IDK. If not, maybe NJ is okay with the Mass method of transferring tags that I mentioned above.

If the issue you run in to is MA not honoring those tags then the easy solution is drive right to the MA border and pull over, put on your MA tag and drive the rest of the way home. (again make sure you have Bill of sale and Title with you). As far as your route, the most direct way (at least to the Boston area) is through NY, CT and RI then finally in to MA. It may make sense in this case though, to take a longer route home to avoid legal issues in those states. The best advice I can give is:

1) make sure you can get temp tags in NJ
2) call the DMV and/or state police dept of each state and get their take on driving through
3) choose your route based on the responses from #2

orrrr... just put your MA tags on it and drive really carefully home and don't get pulled over
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I did this same thing when I bought my TJ. I live in TX, found a TJ in NC. Agreed on the deal. Got the VIN and mileage from the private seller, went to TX DMV and got a 30 day temp tag for about $25. Got temp insurance coverage from my agent. Got a cheap 1-way ticket to NC. Did the deal on the seller's kitchen table. Drove my "new" TJ home 17 hours, 1100 miles, 6 states, the next day. Over the next couple weeks got the whole thing insured, inspected. tagged/titled as a TX vehicle.

Not hard or costly at all. Would do it again if need be.

Go to your state's DMV and find out what paperwork is needed, every state is different.
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

According to Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 90, Section 2: Just use your MA tags as outlined by state law for the "Registration Grace Period" and you're fine.

Source: http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/21426.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA RMV
#17.
Do I have to purchase a vehicle in
Massachusetts to take advantage of this
law?

A: No. The law does not require you to purchase a vehicle in Massachusetts. If you comply with this law the car you purchase will be considered to be legally registered in Massachusetts and may be driven in Massachusetts. Each state allows validly registered vehicles from each other state to op-
erate on its roadways. To help ensure that police officers in other states recognize that the vehicle you purchase is considered legally registered in Massachusetts, make sure you carry the documents identified in the Answers
to Questions No. 12 or 15 (as applicable.) You should also carry a copy of the law (see page 4) if you intend driving through other states
Happy travels. Make sure to post up some pics
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
TexDex

Your vehicle is legal or not based on YOUR state of residence, not the states you drive thru, so check with your local DMV. Tell them you are buying a vehicle out of state and bringing it back and they will tell you what paperwork you need. Some states will issue you a temp tag, others allow you to post the bill of sale in the back window and use it for your temp registration for a certain period.
Be sure to get insurance, tho....
TexDex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I work at a car dealership. I have picked up people at the airport and all. What we do is give them 30 day temp tags and they would pay there state taxes in there state. They would also have to pass there own inspection and emissions in there state
WNUNEZJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.