Buying new vs used jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying new vs used jeep

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Buying new vs used jeep

I'm sure this has been asked before but Ive been looking to buy a 4 dr wrangler for a while now! just been saving money to put a pretty good size down payment! I was originally going to buy like a 2008 for 20g and prob put 10 grand down thinking that was all I could afford but looking online it says a 2014 unlimited is about 28000 if I saved a few extra grand in the next couple months don't you guys think that's the way to go? Or am I reading the prices wrong? it looks to good to be true that a 2008 was going to cost me minimum 20000 and for not to much more I can get a brand new one?!

wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

not sure on new prices but they do all hold their resale value really well. That also depends on what options you might want. You can get what you want for a used JK, but for the new price you might not get some of the things you might be looking for. If you are not picky I would certainly go for a new one for that price (make sure it is a 4wd, if that is what you are looking for). New motor alone might sway me.
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

Jeeps hold their value really well. That was what convinced me to buy newer when I got mine because there wasn't really much of a savings there. At the same time are you going to be comfortable with minor damage to a new vehicle? Just something to think about.
Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Psycho-X-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

A vehicle depreciates quite a bit as soon as you drive it off the lot. Find a used one with a couple thousand miles on it. A teenager that gets a jeep and tears it up is certainly gonna put a good bit of mileage on it before he has to give it up due to abuse... But a little old lady who doesn't like the bumpy ride of a jeep will trade it in right away! You can get a fully loaded used Jeep for the same price as a stripped down new one. Just my .02
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Depreciation caused by the used title is large on any vehicle. Anything after that is to the Jeep's benefit.

Don't forget that there are fees and extras when buying new. That 28k Jeep might end up costing you more..

Try looking for a dealership that's selling a used Jeep. Can usually talk them down lower than you would on a private sale, and get some things thrown in on top.
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
zjilahi
2014 JK Wrangler 

Try to go with a newer one, since they got the new 3.6 motor in em.
zjilahi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

With Jeeps being such high resell, why tempt fate and get one that is used. Chances are it will be a off-lease vehicle and will have had the worst 20,000-40,000 miles it will ever see already put on it by someone who never maintained it, drove it like they stole it, and GOD knows what else. For a few $1000 more why not get a new one?
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before but Ive been looking to buy a 4 dr wrangler for a while now! just been saving money to put a pretty good size down payment! I was originally going to buy like a 2008 for 20g and prob put 10 grand down thinking that was all I could afford but looking online it says a 2014 unlimited is about 28000 if I saved a few extra grand in the next couple months don't you guys think that's the way to go? Or am I reading the prices wrong? it looks to good to be true that a 2008 was going to cost me minimum 20000 and for not to much more I can get a brand new one?!
Save ur m9ney and finance the whole jeep. Put ur 10k in a HIMMA account

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
inspmark
2011 JK Wrangler 

I bought a used JK, also thinking I couldn't afford new. Definitely buyers remorse, as payment on new was not much more. As others said, better motor, etc, but you also get a factory warranty. I think the 5 yr/ 100k drive train is gone with the first owner. In 3 months I have $1700 in repairs, after the dealer had to rebuild the tranny due to popping out of gear.
inspmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

I went through this same dilemma when I decided to add a Jeep to vehicles I drive. I thought I would buy used and prior to a JK but the more I researched the more I discovered Jeeps depreciate slowly [due to demand being so strong and supply being limited]. I had decided I'm always going to have a Jeep so resale wasn't a factor to me. You've already narrowed your search to 4dr JKs [try throwing all Wranglers in the mix and do the opportunities really widen ]. I discovered that Jeeps depreciate about $1k a year on average. A 10 yr old Jeep will be about $10k less than a new Jeep. It may have a bunch of after market good stuff on it, adding a bit of value, it may be beat to shreds [not knocking much value off of it]. You'll be buying mileage, and possible headaches, used.

I decided to buy new.

What I did, and what I recommend, first read and read about 4dr JKs [since that is your target] and what options you want for it. Join Tread Lightly to lock in the discount. With the options you want, price how much it would be to buy new with the stuff you want Chrysler to put on it.

Opinions differ but it seems to me that the general consensus is the 3.6 engine is at least as good as and perhaps better than the 3.8 [another reason to look at '12 and newer] and few dispute that the new auto tranny's are better [again '12 and newer].

I don't believe the amount you save between recent/used and new will be less than the value you'll lose buying recent/used v. new. You don't have to compromise w/ options on new, you have a warranty, you'll pay a few thousand more for a more valuable vehicle: in a few years whatever you buy is going to depreciate at about the same $1k a year.

YMMV

John
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
murfysflaw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I was also planning on used a few years ago when I bought mine, but ultimately decided on new as the price difference really wasn't that great for what i wanted. I also used the Tread Lightly discount and at the time got 0% financing, so it was kinda a no brainer.
murfysflaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspmark View Post
I bought a used JK, also thinking I couldn't afford new. Definitely buyers remorse, as payment on new was not much more. As others said, better motor, etc, but you also get a factory warranty. I think the 5 yr/ 100k drive train is gone with the first owner. In 3 months I have $1700 in repairs, after the dealer had to rebuild the tranny due to popping out of gear.
The NSG 370 is the worst standard Jeep transmission has ever used a brand new one in a crate is super expensive. I have seen it act up in the 05 and 06 TJ/LJ's and some of the JK's 07-present. Most seem to pop out of first gear at some time or another or have shift fork problems. I had a buddy with a LJ that ended up just selling because the warranty had ran out and they still couldn’t fix that slush box tranny. I'm amazed Chrysler still even uses it and can legally call it a tranny. To me the better manual was the NVG3550 it was a five speed and the 5th gear was a decent overdrive. Sometimes I think Chrysler just dreams about things and thinks it’s something to go with just because Jimbo said so. I'm not going to bash any 3.6L's because I haven't seen it first hand but, will say most I have talked to still have problems here and there with them. They are essentially throw away engines when its time. Really can't rebuild them because the head is part of the header exhaust and the sleeves are cast aluminum which can't be bored or honed. Aside from the NSG 370 I think you really can't go wrong with a well maintained pre 12 JK especially if you can get a decent deal on one. I will venture to say that the 3.8L while not used anymore is still Chrysler's flagship V6 to date even though it isn't the latest and greatest. Just my two cents and we all know aside the 3.8L or 3.3L the sister engine any other Chrysler's V6s were junk just look at the 3.5L and 2.7L most gave up the ghost at 100k or under either thrown connecting rod or sludge fest city/head gasket problems. It might not be saying much but it is for Chrysler's quality lol.
Unread 12-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Can you work with them at all on the price of a brand new one?!
wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

You might be able too. Just depends on the dealer.
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Save your money until you can make a cash buy. Go into the dealer and knock 10-15% off a new model, or 15%-20% off last years model if they still have one on the lot. They will jump on it. If they don't move on to the next dealership. Cash buyers always pay less than guys who have to pay on time or who have trade-ins.

Good luck.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.