Buying new: Buy the Ext. Warranty or Not? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying new: Buy the Ext. Warranty or Not?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
222Doc
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 4,360
Only because we are talking about Jeep. it may well pay for its self. just say the cost of a head failure. once out of the standard warranty? how much is that? I know the labor is like 12.5 hours for one head alone. if they go at 20-40-60k? it would seem cheep at 2k. its not like it has not happened many times

__________________
http://parker4wheelers.tripod.com/index.html
http://www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #17
WDNewman
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Mississippi, Mississippi
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Only because we are talking about Jeep. it may well pay for its self. just say the cost of a head failure. once out of the standard warranty? how much is that? I know the labor is like 12.5 hours for one head alone. if they go at 20-40-60k? it would seem cheep at 2k. its not like it has not happened many times
Well, of course you are absolutely correct. Insurance is a great thing when you need it. I had a very close friend who was a President of a large re-insurance company who advised me on buying insurance. He told me to never buy whole life insurance, only term. He told me to always go for the highest deductible available. In his words, insure YOURSELF with the dollars you save by putting the money you save in the bank instead of sending it to a insurance company. And always avoid the "special" insurance that is pushed on you at a checkout line or the sales office of a furniture store, or the cashier at a home products store or the managers office of a car dealership. These plans are high commission/high profit items, which are why they pushed heavily in these types of places. The seller pockets a large percentage of whatever you pay. If you must have this type of insurance (and some people must or they can't sleep at night), then buy from the company directly.

But don't take my word for it. After all, I am misinformed and bias. Go to these websites and become informed. Research and information are your best weapons to keep from being ripped off.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...ying-guide.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...over/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...ches/index.htm

http://www.angieslist.com/articles/c...se-caution.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500200_162-3156565.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...093000148.html

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto...ranties-1.aspx

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20021007a.asp

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/worth-bu...230000603.html

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-your-car.html
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #18
R U STUCK
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: , Tyrone, Pa.
Posts: 2,929
Well, hell then this ^^^^ has to be true. It's on the Internet.....Bonjour

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
2004 TJ Rocky Mountain, 4" Fabtech, Engine Mods, Sitting on 35"s
I Sell Jeeps To All You Peeps...
Email me for your next Jeep..bridgescars4sale@comcast.net
R U STUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
gogogooch
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DC
Posts: 275
I bought the Maxcare Lifetime warranty on mine - I actually did overpay a bit but with the lifetime powertrain coverage along with this Im hoping to keep my out of pocket expenses to $100 for the 10-15 years I plan on keeping my Jeep.

The key to this conversation that no one but the OP can answer is how long will you keep it? If you dont think you'll own it past 4 years then def get your money back, but 7 years who knows.
gogogooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
WDNewman
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Mississippi, Mississippi
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post
Well, hell then this ^^^^ has to be true. It's on the Internet.....Bonjour

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
You will note that all this information is from respected sources, NOT the dreaded "internet". This is from consumer reports:

You might be tempted to buy an extended warranty on your next laptop or dishwasher or a service contract for your new car. But chances are what you spend will be money down the drain.

Retailers push hard to get you to buy extended warranties or service plans because they're cash cows for them: Stores keep 50 percent or more of what they charge for warranties. That's much more than they can make selling actual products.

Extended warranties are notoriously bad deals because:

Some repairs are covered by the standard manufacturer warranty that comes with the product.
Products seldom break within the extended-warranty window--after the standard warranty has expired but within the typical two to three years of purchase--our data show.
When electronics and appliances do break, the repairs, on average, cost not much more on average than an extended warranty.
We've long found extended warranties to be a bad deal for you and advise against buying them. Note that you might want to consider an extended warranty for a repair-prone brand, provided that the warranty is inexpensive and comprehensive and the cost of repairs tends to be high.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #21
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
After spending some time trying to sort out the vindictive narrative of the response by IRSmart, I checked out his profile and found the answer to all of my questions. Mr. IRSmart is according to his profile: "A Chrysler certified car salesman for 6 years now." So the guy is a 27 year old car salesman. He SELLS the 'extended care warranties' that this discussion was about, so naturally anyone who thinks that his warranty is a ripoff is a fool. Of course everyone knows how intelligent a person can become in 27 years.
riiiiight, so based off of my age alone, you can guess that everything I say is absolutely incorrect. you can try to pick apart everything I said, but the fact is that the difference between the two posts that we made is that yours was riddled with your own personal opinion, not necessarily the opinion of the general public, and little fact, and the fact that was in there was based off of misinformation. mine, on the other hand, is based on first-hand experience, knowledge into the warranties, coverages, deductibles, and claims, and experience with the product. you posted the facts that you thought you knew, I showed why you were wrong. i can post fifteen links to random websites that prove my point, too. but the difference is, i don't have to do that to defend my point. you can try and take a stab at my character all you want, but it looks like at 27, could it be that I have more knowledge and experience in this field than you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
You will note that all this information is from respected sources, NOT the dreaded "internet". This is from consumer reports:

You might be tempted to buy an extended warranty on your next laptop or dishwasher or a service contract for your new car. But chances are what you spend will be money down the drain.

Retailers push hard to get you to buy extended warranties or service plans because they're cash cows for them: Stores keep 50 percent or more of what they charge for warranties. That's much more than they can make selling actual products.

Extended warranties are notoriously bad deals because:

Some repairs are covered by the standard manufacturer warranty that comes with the product.
Products seldom break within the extended-warranty window--after the standard warranty has expired but within the typical two to three years of purchase--our data show.
When electronics and appliances do break, the repairs, on average, cost not much more on average than an extended warranty.
We've long found extended warranties to be a bad deal for you and advise against buying them. Note that you might want to consider an extended warranty for a repair-prone brand, provided that the warranty is inexpensive and comprehensive and the cost of repairs tends to be high.
what a crock of garbage if we had 50% or more markup in our extended service contracts, then we would be millionaires. and how do you explain this one, Nostradamus? with most of our warranties, if you don't use them, you get 100% of your money back. not a pro-rated amount, all of it. still a waste? but you're right, it's on consumer reports, so it has to be gold. you know, consumer reports, the same website that gives glowing reviews to the Volkswagen routaan, god's gift to minivans, and absolutely slams the Chrysler town and country and dodge grand caravan. they're about as trustworthy as the guy on the corner. but I forgot, you didn't get that information from "the dreaded internet." that's odd, those links look like "the internet" to me
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
RacerAV
Registered User
2014 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 12
Would it be crazy to keep this thread on track with replies containing your own opinion backed by facts with little to no insulting attacks on others? Refute evidence sure, with better evidence. Disagree with opinion sure, with another opinion. But let's keep the flaming down yeah?
RacerAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerAV View Post
Would it be crazy to keep this thread on track with replies containing your own opinion backed by facts with little to no insulting attacks on others? Refute evidence sure, with better evidence. Disagree with opinion sure, with another opinion. But let's keep the flaming down yeah?
I don't disagree at all, that's pretty much what I did.

bottom line OP, it's a case-by-case basis. an extended warranty is not for everyone. but it IS for some people. any place saying that EVERYONE needs a warranty, or that they're ALL bad would raise a red flag for me. each person's situation is different. you just need to weigh in your own pros and cons and decide if it's right for you. anyone telling you that you need to return it for a refund while knowing absolutely nothing about your personal situation probably won't bring much insight to the table.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #24
WDNewman
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Mississippi, Mississippi
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
I don't disagree at all, that's pretty much what I did.

bottom line OP, it's a case-by-case basis. an extended warranty is not for everyone. but it IS for some people. any place saying that EVERYONE needs a warranty, or that they're ALL bad would raise a red flag for me. each person's situation is different. you just need to weigh in your own pros and cons and decide if it's right for you. anyone telling you that you need to return it for a refund while knowing absolutely nothing about your personal situation probably won't bring much insight to the table.
And with this I agree 100%.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
715racing
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: lititz, Pa
Posts: 156
I sold Jeeps for 35 years, and owned the Dealership for 10 of those years. I just bought a '13 Rubicon, and got the Chrysler Maximum Care warranty. Why? Because it is backed by Chrysler, NOT an aftermarket company. Also, I got it at cost, not retail. I have never talked to a fellow dealer that will not discount the Chrysler warranties. Sure, they make some money from the sale...they'd be foolish not to. BUT, it isn't necessarily a cash cow for the dealership. Tell the dealer you will give them $150.00 over their cost. They will show you actual cost, and you can verify that lots of places. Win/win for everybody.

I saw where someone stated that modifications will not void a warranty. Well, yes AND no. Put a supercharger on your Jeep, then try to get ANY driveline warranty. Unless the dealer is a good friend, and doesn't mind "shading" the truth, you are out of luck. Now, with the same supercharger, if the power windows quit, that is a different matter all-together. Said supercharger doesn't affect the operation of the windows, so the warranty is still in effect.

Lots of variables in play here. Intelligent discussion is a good thing. Name calling and insults do no good.

Rob
__________________
P-51 Dolly...when you are out of Mustangs, you are out of fighters.
715racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #26
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 715racing View Post
I saw where someone stated that modifications will not void a warranty. Well, yes AND no. Put a supercharger on your Jeep, then try to get ANY driveline warranty. Unless the dealer is a good friend, and doesn't mind "shading" the truth, you are out of luck. Now, with the same supercharger, if the power windows quit, that is a different matter all-together. Said supercharger doesn't affect the operation of the windows, so the warranty is still in effect.
right, but that's the difference between having a warranty voided and being denied a claim. put a procharger on your car and bring it in for a slipping transmission, they're going to tell you to pound sand. but that doesn't mean your warranty is voided, it just means that they aren't going to accept the claim. your warranty is still in effect. according to the warranty booklet, and this is off the top of my head, the only thing that completely voids a warranty is a frame modification, such as limo service, or putting the car into police or taxi service.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
715racing
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: lititz, Pa
Posts: 156
We are saying the same thing, just in different ways. You are correct; the entire warranty will not be voided, just the part you need.

Disconnecting, tampering with or altering your odometer will also void the entire warranty. Be very careful with tall tire installation...if that slows down the odometer, can that be considered "altering" it?
__________________
P-51 Dolly...when you are out of Mustangs, you are out of fighters.
715racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
R U STUCK
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: , Tyrone, Pa.
Posts: 2,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by 715racing
We are saying the same thing, just in different ways. You are correct; the entire warranty will not be voided, just the part you need.

Disconnecting, tampering with or altering your odometer will also void the entire warranty. Be very careful with tall tire installation...if that slows down the odometer, can that be considered "altering" it?
Which also brings back the problem of programmers. I have seen this actually happen at my dealership. Vehicle gets traded, owner sneaks programmer off. Vehicle is left in limp mode. We fought with the customer to bring the programmer back so we could do a " Used Car Check". And then we found out that the last dealer that serviced it Red Flagged the warranty. It was set too high and ran too rich. It blew the motor.

Warranty now voided. We can't do any warranty work on it. The customer had enough band-aids on it to trade it. Under Chrysler rules, a Warranty can be voided with a programmer also.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
2004 TJ Rocky Mountain, 4" Fabtech, Engine Mods, Sitting on 35"s
I Sell Jeeps To All You Peeps...
Email me for your next Jeep..bridgescars4sale@comcast.net
R U STUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
715racing
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: lititz, Pa
Posts: 156
I see you are from Tyrone...do you work at Courtesy or Alexander?
__________________
P-51 Dolly...when you are out of Mustangs, you are out of fighters.
715racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
R U STUCK
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: , Tyrone, Pa.
Posts: 2,929
Edit
__________________
2004 TJ Rocky Mountain, 4" Fabtech, Engine Mods, Sitting on 35"s
I Sell Jeeps To All You Peeps...
Email me for your next Jeep..bridgescars4sale@comcast.net
R U STUCK is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.