Buying new: Buy the Ext. Warranty or Not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying new: Buy the Ext. Warranty or Not?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
RacerAV
2014 J-Series Truck 

Buying new: Buy the Ext. Warranty or Not?

I bought my 2014 JKUR a month ago, love it. I regret buying the warranty, 7/100k. Do I need it? Will I void it by modding anyway? If I kept it stock for years, sure, keep it. But I'll have new wheels and tires, new suspension, intake, exhaust, bumpers, skids, interior bits.

I don't plan on getting into much more than that. But even with those things, the warranty can be voided on almost any other thing on the Jeep no? I know it's dealership dependent but I'd rather not waste the money now. I can cancel and get that money off my loan amount now. Over $2k. Looking at my loan balance hurts my feelings. Where'd the freakin $4k down pmt. go??? haha...

I do plan on keeping THIS vehicle for a while, unlike most others I've had in the past. But still, with mods, doesn't seem like a value to me.

Thanks!

RacerAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As a buyer of many, many vehicles over the last 50 years, and with kinfolk in the management end of car dealerships, please let me make this one observation. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy an extended warranty. In the first place, all new vehicles come with their own warranty. So for a period of three or more years, depending on the make, your extended warranty won't even be usable. Still you have paid for it. Then, as you said, modifications will void warranty, so if you are worried about warranties do not modify. You can do some research, but almost all new vehicles will operate relatively trouble free for five years or so. The average length of time buyers keep a new vehicle is about five years. Most extended warranties will never be used. That is why they are such massive money makers for the dealerships and the companies offering this product. Get your money back.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My opinion of extended warranties, whether on a vehicle or tv or washing machine are not a good deal for the consumer.

They are a money maker upsale for the dealers, etc.

Think about it, if they were designed to save the consumer money, then it would cost them money !!
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The main reason to buy it is psychological. Mathematically they make money (same with all insurance). But if it makes you feel more comfortable knowing that for spending a fixed amount you don't have to worry about a bigger amount... that's your choice.

BTW a co-worker bought the warranty on a late model Lexus and they wound up rebuilding the transmission twice at no charge.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
RacerAV
2014 J-Series Truck 

Did they rebuild that Lexus before the factory warranty ended?

I have plenty of time to cancel. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one on the fence with service contracts and warranties.
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just another thought. Extended Warranties are for sale at anytime. Why on earth would you buy one now? I get mail weekly wanting me to buy extended warranties. Why would I spend money today to buy insurance that would not be usable for three years or so? Also $2,000 seems to me an excessive amount. How many miles does it "extend" the warranty for? How much would that warranty cost you if you bought it on your own? If you MUST have an extended warranty, wait until you need it, then shop around and get the best price you can from a reputable agency of your choice. You don't have to buy an extended warranty when you are in the finance office, buying your car. You can purchase an extended warranty any time before the standard factory warranty runs out. In fact, this gives you the extra time to shop for the best price. You probably will learn some things from this article from "Car and Driver".

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...g-else-feature
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman
Just another thought. Extended Warranties are for sale at anytime. Why on earth would you buy one now? I get mail weekly wanting me to buy extended warranties. Why would I spend money today to buy insurance that would not be usable for three years or so? Also $2,000 seems to me an excessive amount. How many miles does it "extend" the warranty for? How much would that warranty cost you if you bought it on your own? If you MUST have an extended warranty, wait until you need it, then shop around and get the best price you can from a reputable agency of your choice. You don't have to buy an extended warranty when you are in the finance office, buying your car. You can purchase an extended warranty any time before the standard factory warranty runs out. In fact, this gives you the extra time to shop for the best price. You probably will learn some things from this article from "Car and Driver".

Warranties cost less at the time of purchase. The longer a person waits and the more miles you put on the vehicle the more expensive it becomes. Why would you wait?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post
Warranties cost less at the time of purchase. The longer a person waits and the more miles you put on the vehicle the more expensive it becomes. Why would you wait?

You would wait because the new vehicle comes with a factory warranty. Why drop 2 grand now for something you would not use for three years? Keep your money. When and if you do buy one, get with a lawyer and go over the small print. Thats where they get you. These "extended warranty" companies have one of the highest reported incidences of consumer fraud by the BBB.
Unread 10-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
RacerAV
2014 J-Series Truck 

I should be more specific. I already bought a warranty. From Mopar. At the Dealership. When I bought the Jeep. I over paid for it. But I can get my money back. Well, off the principal of the loan.
I am more so wondering if I should do that. As in, will I need a warranty going out to 7 years/100k miles? Will it be void by my common mods anyway?
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerAV View Post
I should be more specific. I already bought a warranty. From Mopar. At the Dealership. When I bought the Jeep. I over paid for it. But I can get my money back. Well, off the principal of the loan.
I am more so wondering if I should do that. As in, will I need a warranty going out to 7 years/100k miles? Will it be void by my common mods anyway?
Should you get your money back?: YES

Do you need a 7 year 100K Warranty? NO. Most people trade or sell before that time.

Will it be voided by modifications?: PROBABLY. The fine print on these things is renown and full of legalese.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
gunut
2013 JK Wrangler 

most likely voided unless you have the dealer do your mods.....
gunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
As a buyer of many, many vehicles over the last 50 years, and with kinfolk in the management end of car dealerships, please let me make this one observation. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy an extended warranty. In the first place, all new vehicles come with their own warranty. So for a period of three or more years, depending on the make, your extended warranty won't even be usable. Still you have paid for it. Then, as you said, modifications will void warranty, so if you are worried about warranties do not modify. You can do some research, but almost all new vehicles will operate relatively trouble free for five years or so. The average length of time buyers keep a new vehicle is about five years. Most extended warranties will never be used. That is why they are such massive money makers for the dealerships and the companies offering this product. Get your money back.
OP, pretty much everything in this post is either wrong, or opinionated. take what he said with a grain of salt
Quote:

why? because...
Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post

bingo. the cost of extended service contracts are based upon the age and mileage of the vehicle. you can certainly wait to get a warranty that will end at the same point as it would have if you bought it new, it'll just cost you twice as much.
Quote:
You would wait because the new vehicle comes with a factory warranty. Why drop 2 grand now for something you would not use for three years? Keep your money. When and if you do buy one, get with a lawyer and go over the small print. Thats where they get you. These "extended warranty" companies have one of the highest reported incidences of consumer fraud by the BBB.
it sounds like you've been burned by an aftermarket warranty company before. most dealers sell factory extended service contracts now, which is what it sounds like the OP purchased.
Quote:
Should you get your money back?: YES
you have yet to explain why he MUST get a refund. only YOUR misguided opinionated statements as to why YOU wouldn't get one.
Quote:
Do you need a 7 year 100K Warranty? NO. Most people trade or sell before that time.
most people? did you even bother to ask the OP how long he plans on keeping his car? no. this may be his retirement car. or he may plan on taking it back in three years and upgrading. you have no idea. and jeeps tend to have longer ownership experiences than the normal car manufacturer anyway.
Quote:
Will it be voided by modifications?: PROBABLY. The fine print on these things is renown and full of legalese.
no, modifying your vehicle in any way (other than turning it into a limo, which all warranties specifically state) will not void any warranty. period.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I try and tell them...No need to listen to me. I just been selling them since they have had square headlights...what do I know I guess...

Unread 10-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

See following post.

Last edited by WDNewman; 10-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: more information
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

After spending some time trying to sort out the vindictive narrative of the response by IRSmart, I checked out his profile and found the answer to all of my questions. Mr. IRSmart is according to his profile: "A Chrysler certified car salesman for 6 years now." So the guy is a 27 year old car salesman. He SELLS the 'extended care warranties' that this discussion was about, so naturally anyone who thinks that his warranty is a ripoff is a fool. Of course everyone knows how intelligent a person can become in 27 years.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.