Buying my first XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying my first XJ

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
phloozy

Buying my first XJ

Hi all. I am buying my first XJ and I could use some guidance to make sure I don't dig myself into a whole. The purpose for buying an XJ is that my family needs a car that can handle the winter and outdoorsy type trips. My wife will be the main user for winter commuting so I need something that wont put her on the side of the road.

The XJ I am looking at is a 1996 Cherokee Sport with only 98k miles. I will see it in person tomorrow but the seller says there is no body damage or rust what so ever. He also claims to have taken great care of the car and that there are 0 mechanical issues (I have to go on his word for now). The price is listed at $4000 but I plan to say firm at $3500. Is this a fair price for a well kept low mileage XJ? Anything I should look out for when I see the car? If i see no issues what are common things at this time that I will need to worry about?

Thank you all for the help, I hope to be back in the Jeep family soon (used to own a JK)

phloozy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure to check for rust, especially in the floors and underneath. Surface rust isn't a major issue but should be taken care of before it causes problems (good rust inhibitor paint and/or a wire wheel works well for this) but rust holes are usually signs of a major issue and if there is rot you can see there is likely more that you can't.

Aside from that 91-99 XJs are pretty reliable, make sure to check the normal used car stuff (fluid levels/condition, condition of hoses, belts, suspension components, weird noises/vibrations, etc.).

Be aware that 96 is a "transition year" ("old" body style but with OBDII) and there are some year specific parts which can be difficult to find replacements for (in some cases you will have to settle for a used or remanufactured part instead of new). I wouldn't rule out a 96 as long it was in good condition otherwise but it is something to be aware of.

The price doesn't seem too bad, XJs with less than 100k mi tend to command relatively high prices (though not nearly as bad as low-mileage TJs).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
phloozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Make sure to check for rust, especially in the floors and underneath.

Aside from that 91-99 XJs are pretty reliable, make sure to check the normal used car stuff (fluid levels/condition, condition of hoses, belts, suspension components, weird noises/vibrations, etc.).

Be aware that 96 is a "transition year" ("old" body style but with OBDII) and there are some year specific parts which can be difficult to find replacements for (in some cases you will have to settle for a used or remanufactured part instead of new). I wouldn't rule out a 96 as long it was in good condition otherwise but it is something to be aware of.

The price doesn't seem too bad, XJs with less than 100k mi tend to command relatively high prices (though not nearly as bad as low-mileage TJs).
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will check all of that tomorrow. Are you saying 4k isnt so bad or 3.5k? I dont want to insult him with a low ball offer (I know how annoying selling a car can be so I try to be fair) or am I being to generous at 3.5k and should offer less?
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloozy View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will check all of that tomorrow. Are you saying 4k isnt so bad or 3.5k? I dont want to insult him with a low ball offer (I know how annoying selling a car can be so I try to be fair) or am I being to generous at 3.5k and should offer less?
$4k isn't too bad (assuming it is in excellent condition like the seller states) but I'd probably offer $3k or $3.5K and negotiate from there if necessary(most sellers aren't going to expect you to offer exactly what they are asking and list a price higher than they will actually take, unless they specifically state the price is firm in the ad), offering $3k and then "splitting the difference" at $3.5K if they don't take it wouldn't be a bad strategy. I doubt anyone would see a $3k or $3.5K offer as an "insult" (if they do you probably don't want to deal with that person anyway), offering $1k or something like that would probably be perceived as an "insult" by most (unless the vehicle is in poor condition).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
phloozy

Going to look today, any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

See if the ac works on it. The majority of xj's I've seen the ac doesn't work and is usually an expensive fix. Check the tires as well good tires aren't cheap.

$3500 doesn't sound bad if it's in good shape and everything is in working order.
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Man, I am originally from Bucks County and now in North Jersey and I wish I could find an XJ with that kind of mileage for that price. Most of the ones up this way at that price have 125k+ and need work. That sounds like a steal even at 4k.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.