Buying my first XJ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying my first XJ!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 07-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
on_holidays

Buying my first XJ!

I'm finally ready to buy my first Cherokee & I've narrowed it down to two. One is a '99, classic sport w/ 126k. 6-cylinder, tinted windows, & very stock. Dealership is asking $3995.
The other is a 2001, has a 3in lift kit (which I would be adding to the other Jeep anyway), 150k, clean title. I'm still waiting to get more information, as of now I don't know if it's a 4 or 6-cyl. The owner is asking $4k.

So I'd like to know, is there a significant difference between the '99 & '01 models? Is one known to be better than the other? & what should I look for, as far as potential problems each might have. Common spots for rust, brake issues, etc.

I've been searching for the right Cherokee for months, so I really hope one of these two works out.

Thanks for your help!

on_holidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
rsurran

2005 WK 

2001 Possible Head Issue

I have 2000 XJ which has the 0331 head. The forums are full of posts on these heads that came on 00 and 01 XJ's. If I had it to do over I would go with another year XJ. Most guys think the 98 XJ was a pretty good year. Check the 2001 to see if it has 0331 head or some other. Look on the manifold side of the head for the head number.
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
silver60th
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The 2001 will have the 0331 head unless it has already cracked and been replaced. However, the chances of the head cracking aren't as great as Jeepforum makes them out to be. Make sure that the cooling system is kept up to par and the jeep doesn't overheat, and you should be golden.

Now, that being said...the 2001 Jeeps have some peculiarities that should be noted.
2001:
Coil rail instead of distributor
Low pinion D30 instead of high pinion
Very small chance of 0331 crack
Misfire on cylinder 3 code is thrown on heat soak due to faulty injector shielding (if not corrected)

I would suggest the 1998. And that's coming from someone who owns a 2001. The 98 will have the slightly stronger HP D30 and no 0331 casting. Simply put, they seem to be more durable and easier to work on.

Plus, don't know how you feel about someone else's junk, but I don't like Jeeps that come with lift kits. It's hit or miss on who installed it, what kit it is, how it's aging....I would much rather deal with my own stuff.

2001 XJ 4dr, 3'' lift, LP D30 & Ford 8.8 w/limited slip, 4.10's
Front OEM skid and rear gas tank skid, rock rails
silver60th is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999 , 2001 , cherokee

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.