JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Buying Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/)
-   -   Buying my first jeep (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/buying-my-first-jeep-1263623/)

DrChilliWillie 09-11-2011 11:12 AM

Buying my first jeep

I am going to buy my first jeep after i sell the car I have now(taking longer than expected). I will have about 7000 to spend on it. I am not sure if I should buy a stock one or one that is already built up? If I buy one that is stock I would like to buy one for like 3000 to 4000 grand so that i will have money left over to upgrade it. Or i could spend the 7000 on one that is already built up. Also what is a good mileage that will last me a few years at least? And what is a good year?

The kind of upgrades i would want to get would be a 4inch lift, 35s, ARB air lockers or Detroit lockers

and i would like it to be a manual.

Please help

Will

brownbagg 09-11-2011 11:31 AM

you sure do have alot of request but you left out the most important thing that could ruin your dream

6 cylinder.

sandplasma 09-16-2011 08:14 AM

Since noone has replied yet, I'll give it a shot but know that I'm a noob and I'm still looking for my own jeep. From the research I've done its somewhat expensive to build one up yourself if you dont plan on doing the work. You'd probably be better off buying a built one..however you wont know how it was treated, if it was taken offroad, and it may not be to your liking as much.

Anything under or around 100k miles appears to be considered good as long as its not rusting like a mofo. Years..it depends but you'll probably want a TJ which runs from 1997-2003 I believe. Anything after 1997 should be good.

Sawicki4wd 09-22-2011 10:06 AM

If is going to be your dd I'd start with stock. Most mods you can do your self. If you buy one lifted don't pay much more then a stock one. The only thing that adds value is bigger tires and rims. Use kbb it's your best friend.

njfreekshow 09-22-2011 06:51 PM

with the upgrades you meantioned, youre looking for at a wrangler correct? depending your area, to get a TJ which range from 97-06 (rubis came out in 03 and thats when stuff changed around on them) you might be about to get a 97-99 for hopefully no more then $6000. i know in NJ youre lucky to find a 97 for $5000.

now if you want a Cherokee (XJ) then id suggest anything over 97 and if you could find a 99 youll be golden since 00-01 is when the 4.0s had issues. i would suggest going stock and building the jeep up to your liking, plus youll know what was done. you never know if the job was done properly or redneckish. upgrades are definately more expensive but doing it yourself is so worth it in the end. i lifted my jeep 3.5" suspension with the help of my dad, and im happy i did it myself and not have someone else.

good luck with your search

DrChilliWillie 09-25-2011 09:07 PM

Thanks guys for the help, i just bought a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Its and I6 4.0L Manual and completely stock and never been off road until last weekend when I got it. I am very excited to start upgrading it to my liking.

Thanks Will

sandplasma 09-26-2011 07:35 AM

Woah thats awesome man :) I'm excited for you. How much did you pay with how many miles? I'm still looking for one myself so it would be nice to see how the market is. Post some pics!

DrChilliWillie 09-27-2011 12:31 PM

It has 111000 miles on it. I payed $6800 for it the kelly blue book was $8400 and it came with a hard top and a new soft top so I thought it was a good deal.
and the only thing it needs is a new radiator which I am ordering.

Good luck in finding your jeep, hope you find something good

Will

The time now is 07:21 PM.