Buying a Jeep - which one (of all there ever were)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying a Jeep - which one (of all there ever were)?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 02-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
onecalledjimbo

Buying a Jeep - which one (of all there ever were)?

I am looking to buy a Jeep Wrangler or CJ-5/7, all years considered. Very broad, I know, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Price: sub $10,000 for a TJ/YJ, sub $5,000 for a CJ-5/7

I'm looking for a reliable daily driver (to high school) - something that won't be breaking down often or absolutely terrible on the roads. I really don't care about comfort, but I don't want to be constantly weaving on the highway.

That sounds like a Wrangler, I know, but I'm still considering the CJs because of their utter simplicity.

What should I look for? What should I steer away from? How many miles are too many on a Jeep? What is a Jeep like to live with? What would I be getting myself into?

I'm not afraid to work on one, but I don't have the equipment to do internal engine work or anything that requires pulling the engine.

I'd like to be able to tow (small) things (dirt bikes), but that is not of utmost priority.

As Jeep owners talking to a potential Jeep owner, what advice do you offer? My father would like to make a well-informed decision.

Thank you,

Jamie

onecalledjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Mike4ya
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecalledjimbo View Post
I am looking to buy a Jeep Wrangler or CJ-5/7, all years considered. Very broad, I know, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Price: sub $10,000 for a TJ/YJ, sub $5,000 for a CJ-5/7

I'm looking for a reliable daily driver (to high school) - something that won't be breaking down often or absolutely terrible on the roads. I really don't care about comfort, but I don't want to be constantly weaving on the highway.
Get a TJ or YJ, CJ's are great, but the older a vehicle gets, the most wore out all the parts will be. You may find yourself putting more money into keeping it running than in your gas tank.

That sounds like a Wrangler, I know, but I'm still considering the CJs because of their utter simplicity.

What should I look for? What should I steer away from? How many miles are too many on a Jeep? What is a Jeep like to live with? What would I be getting myself into?

If you've got the budget, be VERY picky. I'm going to speak for TJs as I dont know everything about YJs). Try and find one with a D44 rear axle, as this will be much beefier to withstand bigger tires and heavier offroading. A D35 came standard on early model TJs, but the 44 was an upgraded option, so they ARE out they, you just have to look.

Miles are all dependent on use. Many 4.0s are known to last 300k+ miles with proper maintenance and care. So try and find one preferably stock, and as clean as possible inside/outside/underneath(check for rust)--This way you know it hasn't been put through serious offroading. Less abuse helps for a longer life. It's also not a bad idea to research the model/year you're looking for, find out recommended oils/maintenance/etc, and ask the seller about them. If they don't know or answer incorrectly, you know that they haven't paid close attention to the care of their Jeep. (If you can get service records that are regular and account for an extended history, this also is a good sign.)

I'm not afraid to work on one, but I don't have the equipment to do internal engine work or anything that requires pulling the engine.

If you're picky and do your research, this should be a problem. Unless you want to drop in a Hemi

I'd like to be able to tow (small) things (dirt bikes), but that is not of utmost priority. Get the 4.0 Inline6. Standard Wrangler (not unlimited) have a towing capacity of 2,000lbs, which should be plenty to carry a trailer with a few bikes or 4wheelers on it. The 2.5 only has a tow rating of 1,000lbs, which could suffice, but personally I wouldn't want to put the 4banger through that sort of struggle. The 4.0 also has a higher resale rate. Also if you're looking at the LJs (2-door Unlimiteds) they have a tow rating of about 3,500lbs (due to the extended wheelbase, and only come with a Dana44 rear axle.)

As Jeep owners talking to a potential Jeep owner, what advice do you offer? My father would like to make a well-informed decision.

Good luck on your purchase and like I said, be very picky and you will be happier in the long run. And watch prices, many people will try and get WAY too much out of their Wrangler than what they're worth, so don't just pay any dime people are asking. Find out what the going rate is through Craigslist around your area, and check KellyBlueBook. Unfortunately KBB doesn't apply to Wranglers around Atlanta (KBB-5k/sells for 7k) ...but many other places it does.

Thank you,

Jamie
There's a lot more I could tell you, but I dont want to seem like I'm rambling. Just search through threads on the forum and you will learn a lot more than you would think. And this was a quick type, so forgive me if I made any typos!

Mike4ya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.