Buying a Jeep 2,400miles Away - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying a Jeep 2,400miles Away

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Sac2013

Buying a Jeep 2,400miles Away

I found a great untouched, all factory LJ Rubicon in California. Still has factory Wrangler M/T spare(unused) with highway tires on it, not even A/Ts so I know it has been a city Jeep. Where it gets interesting is I live Louisiana... My thinking is fly to buy it & drive it home. Stopping at Lake Tahoe & Moab for some wheeling and then head back home. If the weather allows, would love to hit some trails in CO. I'm figuring $450 for flight, $780 for fuel(13 fill ups), $1,000 for hotels & $500 for food/misc items. Would I be crazy or does that sound like an awesome road trip?

Unread 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
pinaplebob

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a lot of fun, if I had the money I would do it.
pinaplebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
ccb_dan

Dude, that sounds EPIC! If I had the time and $$ I'd love to do something like that!
ccb_dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

long as you have the time and money sounds like fun to me. out west south west you can find some very rust free jeeps.

But even a well kept never seen a dirt road Jeep might still need some TLC. I would be a bit leary heading out to run the Con with a horse with no name, that you do not really know. you would want at least a good set of at/mt tires/ another jeeper to run with. airdown able, tools camping gear. from tahoe you could just head down cadillac hill to the springs/sluice area and hang out then get out and back to tahoe. we used to live there we did that alot if not going to camp.
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Sac2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinaplebob View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun, if I had the money I would do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb_dan View Post
Dude, that sounds EPIC! If I had the time and $$ I'd love to do something like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
long as you have the time and money sounds like fun to me. out west south west you can find some very rust free jeeps.

But even a well kept never seen a dirt road Jeep might still need some TLC. I would be a bit leary heading out to run the Con with a horse with no name, that you do not really know. you would want at least a good set of at/mt tires/ another jeeper to run with. airdown able, tools camping gear. from tahoe you could just head down cadillac hill to the springs/sluice area and hang out then get out and back to tahoe. we used to live there we did that alot if not going to camp.
I have the time and money. Will be going on timeoff for 3 weeks this weekend. I don't plan on doing any camping, just some light trails to take in the views and say I've been there. If the plan does get set in stone, sure I can find some local Jeepers to meet up with.
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
455TorqUnlim
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good road trip. Compare that to about $1k to ship it open trailer, or $2k enclosed. I am older and have more money than time, whereas when I was younger I had more time than money. Shipping mine, Cali to Indiana.
455TorqUnlim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Man, be sure you have an alternative plan. If you get out to CA and the Rubicon is a piece of junk you would be stuck. Either have an alternative jeep to look at or a return plane ticket ready. If it is your dream jeep, then go for it. But be ready for anything.
Unread 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
ForumKing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome road trip! You only live once, so make the best of it.
ForumKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Sac2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455TorqUnlim View Post
Good road trip. Compare that to about $1k to ship it open trailer, or $2k enclosed. I am older and have more money than time, whereas when I was younger I had more time than money. Shipping mine, Cali to Indiana.
Got a quote for $1,800 to ship it. I can fly & drive straight back for less that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
Man, be sure you have an alternative plan. If you get out to CA and the Rubicon is a piece of junk you would be stuck. Either have an alternative jeep to look at or a return plane ticket ready. If it is your dream jeep, then go for it. But be ready for anything.
From all the pictures it look amazing. 1 owner Jeep, nothing reported on the CarFax. It is def my dream Jeep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumKing View Post
Awesome road trip! You only live once, so make the best of it.
Exactly!
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
bobjp

Sounds like a great idea. I plan to do this with a vehicle someday.

I know you said you aren't camping, but that's what I would do. You don't need much gear to camp, and what you can't take with you on the plane you could pick up once you get out there. It would be more fun and a lot cheaper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.