buying....any suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > buying....any suggestions?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
pferrell

buying....any suggestions?

I am currently looking at 2 jeeps, the adds are posted below. I looking for help on if the price is right for the jeep.

1. Jeep is 94 yj wrangler 2.5 four cylinder 5 speed manual trans. 4x4 does not run needs work but it's still a jeep
I drove it daily for a year after I bought it and it overheated on me and shut down. I believe the head gasket is bad but a Chevy v8 would fix that. 33x12.5r15 wide climber tires and 4" offset rims make it a little taller but a lot wider and a lot more stable. Best top brand soft top and half doors. Only one tear in passenger wind, all windows are a tint shade plastic except the door tops great project needs a lot $1200

2.I have a lifted jeep wrangler on nice 35s there on 15 inch craiger rims has a 4 cylinder 5 speed the tack says 217k miles I got it on trade for a trail rig but I don't need it now it shakes bad about 40mph do to the tractor like tires I think it has bad gas or fould plugs it spit and sputters has a clean frame has one rust hole on rear drivers side of the frame where the shackle mounts easy fix I aint messing with it the top is off of a cj7 and e doors are for a soft top so they dont fit right but still work and the ignistion has a wire loose will stat by key bt not shut off by the key i have alot of extra parts hood grile stearing parts all the dash peices and a soft top bracket will trade for a 4x4 or car or a bike or 1500 cash

pferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
lordryan93gt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

what year is the second one ?
I'm thinking the second one is probably going to be a better deal if you can get him down lower. and by the sounds of it, you would still be able to drive around with it, while you buy upgrades. only thing to look at for the second one, would be to check the gearing when test driving. I'm sure them 35" tires took a toll on the stock 35 axle. but then just check the normal. chassis rust, leaks, hidden tub rust if there is still carpet covering it. good luck..
lordryan93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
pferrell

it's an 87, I have images on my desktop not sure exactly how to post them on here.....What would be a good counter offer?
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

750. He probably wouldn't take anything close to that, but it'd get the ball rolling in the getting close direction.

The first one sounds like a better deal- easy to sort out the issues of why it overheated as you put a motor in it, seems like a more street-driven/better-kept-together truck.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You don't tell us what your plans are for either of these jeeps but unless you are a mechanic with all necessary tools and just need the jeeps for parts I would leave both of these alone. On number 2 the PO certainly didn't know (or maybe didn't care) what he was doing and that the 2.5 liter does not need to be mated with 35" tires. Not too good for the tranny either. 217k miles. Rust hole near a shackle mount that could point to unseen "rust holes" all over the frame. Shakes "bad" about 40MPH.

No way.

First one says it all with "project needs a lot". They always need more, sometimes much more, than thought at the time of purchase.

But again... what are you planning to do with it? If your goal is to make a reliable jeep out of it, I would save up some money and buy a solid, well running, no problem, no rust unit to start with. You should be able to do that for less than $3500 dollars. You would spend much more than that just getting either one of these junkers running.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
pferrell

Thank You WDNewman.....I am looking for a good reliable jeep that I can drive and fix as I go...slowly. I have a limited budget and thought maybe a fixer upper would be the way to go. But I guess in the long run having to put unforeseen extra cash into a vehicle to make it reliable is not a good idea. I really didn't think of that....guess I was relying on the add to be accurate. I appreciate the input you have all provided!
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferrell View Post
Thank You WDNewman.....I am looking for a good reliable jeep that I can drive and fix as I go...slowly. I have a limited budget and thought maybe a fixer upper would be the way to go. But I guess in the long run having to put unforeseen extra cash into a vehicle to make it reliable is not a good idea. I really didn't think of that....guess I was relying on the add to be accurate. I appreciate the input you have all provided!
You are more than welcome. If you need any other info I can help you with, feel free to PM me.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.