Buying '95 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buying '95 YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
casesjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 2
Buying '95 YJ

Hello everyone,

Ive owned TJ's before but never a YJ. Im going to go look at a 95 4cylinder with 80k miles. They want $4500 for it.

Can anyone let me know of anything to look for in particular with the '95 or with YJ's in general? Is that a fair price?

Any help would be pretty cool.

Case

casesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB, Alberta
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by casesjeep
Hello everyone,

Ive owned TJ's before but never a YJ. Im going to go look at a 95 4cylinder with 80k miles. They want $4500 for it.

Can anyone let me know of anything to look for in particular with the '95 or with YJ's in general? Is that a fair price?

Any help would be pretty cool.

Case
4500$!!!!?? What's done to it?
Look for frame rust! That's a major one. Can be very costly.
Check the leaf springs for sag.
Start the jeep and let it run until it warms up, that's when most, not all, most, issues start.
Test drive the jeep, and not just around the block, get it to a highway speed, where it is legal to do so. This is where a lot of suspension and steering problems occur. As well as power loss problems.
Make sure the 4wd engages, and not just the light, sometimes the light won't work but the 4wd will. Make sure the front wheels engage! If the light doesn't come on, and the wheels engage, cheap fix. Also, check 4lo.
Do you know the key trick? Cycle the key to on and off position three times, stopping on the on position, on the third cycle. Eg: on, off, on, off, on. Don't start the jeep while doing this, just go to the accessory on position. One away from start.
Count the light flashes. The check engine light will flash. 12, 33 and 55 are normal. If it has AC, then 33 should not appear.
The flashes will appear like so (- --) =12 (--- ---) = 33 (----- -----) =55.
And keep in mind, it will have an ax-5 transmission behind the engine. Do yourself a favour and read up on it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
casesjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 2
Thank you sir

The jeep is stock, and here in AZ that is how much used cars are going for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
4500$!!!!?? What's done to it?
Look for frame rust! That's a major one. Can be very costly.
Check the leaf springs for sag.
Start the jeep and let it run until it warms up, that's when most, not all, most, issues start.
Test drive the jeep, and not just around the block, get it to a highway speed, where it is legal to do so. This is where a lot of suspension and steering problems occur. As well as power loss problems.
Make sure the 4wd engages, and not just the light, sometimes the light won't work but the 4wd will. Make sure the front wheels engage! If the light doesn't come on, and the wheels engage, cheap fix. Also, check 4lo.
Do you know the key trick? Cycle the key to on and off position three times, stopping on the on position, on the third cycle. Eg: on, off, on, off, on. Don't start the jeep while doing this, just go to the accessory on position. One away from start.
Count the light flashes. The check engine light will flash. 12, 33 and 55 are normal. If it has AC, then 33 should not appear.
The flashes will appear like so (- --) =12 (--- ---) = 33 (----- -----) =55.
And keep in mind, it will have an ax-5 transmission behind the engine. Do yourself a favour and read up on it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
casesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB, Alberta
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by casesjeep
Thank you sir

The jeep is stock, and here in AZ that is how much used cars are going for...
Ouch, that's a Canadian price. Depending on the shape of the jeep. I paid 3500 for mine and it was almost mint.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
WDNewman
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Mississippi, Mississippi
Posts: 542
Actually, If there is no rust (anywhere) I would consider that a fair price. Bigbossed gave some good advice on what to look for.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.