Buy or Pass?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Buy or Pass??

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Buy or Pass??

So I've been searching Craigslist for YJ's and I had planned on buying one after the holidays but I came across this YJ and in the pics it seems to be in good condition and the price is right. Obviously a 6cyl would be preferred but I've seen others on here make the most out of their 4cyls, so I'm sure I could make it work.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4197178896.html

Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for when looking to purchase this Jeep? What, if any, are common problems associated with this Jeep year/engine/drivetrain? Assuming an ideal situation and the Jeep has no major mechanical problems, should I buy or pass?

Thanks for any help! This will potentially be my first vehicle purchase on my own!

Unread 11-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check the frame thoroughly, motor mounts, steering box mounts and rear shackle mounts. Other than that it's a jeep.. every part can be expected to fall off or break at one point. Live in fear.
TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rust, rust and more rust. Any rust anywhere is not good. Check carefully underneath the vehicle and under that carpet.

Contrary to opinion, I have enjoyed my 2.5. Don't expect interstate cruising, but no problem around college station or east texas.

Jeep looks good. Apparently it does NOT have a full soft top so I am guessing that it has a hard top somewhere. It has been lifted but not excessively so. The 31" tires will make the 4 cylinder work even harder. Front seats need replacing, as is the case with a lot of YJ's.

Price is OK if everything checks out.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.