Bought my first Wrangler today! Good buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Bought my first Wrangler today! Good buy?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Jamo33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bought my first Wrangler today! Good buy?

Actually, I know the answer to my question, it's yes. I don't think I could have possibly found a cleaner used vehicle, and the fact that it's a Wrangler just shocks the heck out of me.

I currently own a 2000 XJ, but have wanted a Wrangler for some time. I made up my mind on a TJ and started my hunt. It only took about a month, but the right one turned up. It's a 2002, X, 4.0l, Auto, Hard Top only, Black on Black, lifted (don't know how much), 33" x 12.5", 26,000 miles, MINT freakin' condition. It has the husky floor liners, and I swear they must have been in since day one, because I don't think a human shoe has EVER touched the carpet. I also don't think anyone has ever been in the back seat. It's absolutely perfect inside and for the most part outside. The plastic is still rich dark gray, not faded a bit, there is NO rust (except four rusted screws for the fuel fill. There is a very small dent on the hood where the previous owner said some girl sat on the hood in his garage and mushed it in a bit.

It has just about every option, I assume, available that year. It has the Jeep trunk (which I hear is rare), the subwoofer in console, premium hard top with defrost and wiper, premium sound bar, tinted glass, etc. It's very nice, and I'm very happy. My wife loves it too, which is a plus. Can't wait till Monday for a few days of perfect weather, so I can get that top off. I went out and got the T-40 today as well as some car wash supplies and a smell good for the cup holder I did, like last time, a ton of research on here before my buy, and it helped a lot. Thanks guys!

Jamo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Never listed the price you paid, cannot tell you if it was a good buy or not otherwise. Looks clean as you say -- although mod'd enough to the point I'd lose interest.

looks good though, hopefully you enjoy it

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Jamo33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Never listed the price you paid, cannot tell you if it was a good buy or not otherwise. Looks clean as you say -- although mod'd enough to the point I'd lose interest.

looks good though, hopefully you enjoy it
Duh, I got carried away I guess. I paid $13,000. I would have bought it in complete stock form as well, the fact that it had over $1500 in wheels and tires was just a bonus.
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would say that's about average where I live.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

good deal for the mileage on it

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not too shabby, I would say the better end of average price. Looks good, and thats all that matters!
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
evoGibson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

paid about 3k more than i would have, but it is clean
Unread 08-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
elkameno59
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In a stinkin heartbeat I would have bought it for 13K. The junk out my way needs a can of gas and a match. I'm still looking for my first Jeep '03-'06. Prices are so stupid ; example '06 X 75K miles - inch of crud under dash and under carpet --11,950.00 they are not kidding!! or a '05 56K miles beat to death clutch and the oil was like solid waste- 15,900. You got a deal dont care anymore on years or miles, 03-06 is my target. Less than 15K miles per year and taken care of.. got Jeep???
elkameno59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkameno59 View Post
In a stinkin heartbeat I would have bought it for 13K. The junk out my way needs a can of gas and a match. I'm still looking for my first Jeep '03-'06. Prices are so stupid ; example '06 X 75K miles - inch of crud under dash and under carpet --11,950.00 they are not kidding!! or a '05 56K miles beat to death clutch and the oil was like solid waste- 15,900. You got a deal dont care anymore on years or miles, 03-06 is my target. Less than 15K miles per year and taken care of.. got Jeep???
less than 15k, good luck with that coming up let alone not wheeled.

Unread 08-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
smithencrazy
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkameno59 View Post
I live in WNY and it is horrible trying to find any deal. I am loooking myself and am just waiting.
smithencrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Kiser10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is a very good deal!

I bought mine in early July for $14,000. It has a 3" teraflex lift and moabs. I was looking for an I6 but came acorss this 4 Cylinder '05 with 40,000 miles and mint condition. I couldn't pass it up. Bought it off of a guy in Westerville.
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
Jamo33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiser10 View Post
That is a very good deal!

I bought mine in early July for $14,000. It has a 3" teraflex lift and moabs. I was looking for an I6 but came acorss this 4 Cylinder '05 with 40,000 miles and mint condition. I couldn't pass it up. Bought it off of a guy in Westerville.
I'm up in Cuyahoga Falls, near Akron. I got mine off a guy in Wadsworth.

Took the top off today and went for a nice ride, LOVIN' IT! Have a 24 hour shift at the FD tomorrow so I'll likely spend the majority of it staring at the Jeep. It could use Sirius, so maybe I'll put that in tomorrow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.