Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best Jeep for the snow?

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  erdoc 
#1 ·
I currently own a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I've never taken it off road. I just bought it to carry my testicles around but my wife won't let me drive it because she's always driving it and I can't make her let me drive it because she's Mexican and carries a knife. Regardless, we may be moving to northern California which gets tons of snow. It will be critical that I get to work in the snow. There is no such thing as "It's snowing, I can't get there." Here is my question.

Which goes better in deep snow, a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon or Grand Cherokee Overland or Summit?

Thanks in advance.

#18 ·
Grew up near there. That might be overstating things a bit.

Lived the last ten years over 9,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies.

That's snow.

Regardless, as mentioned the ties are what matter most.

4 wheel go /= 4 wheel stop, and stop is far more important than go.

Bridgestone Bilizzaks, hands down.

Modern traction control will also be important for someone moving from Florida.

#6 ·
Safety wise a Grand Cherokee is superior to any Wrangler. True snow tires is a good idea. They can be equiped with studs if need be. Bridgestone Blizzaks is a good snow tire. Usually these tires should be taken off during the summer months. They are soft and don?t wear very well.

#21 ·
Actually General Altimax Arctic are best. You can stud them. They one the Arctic challenge hands down (Northern Sweeden - Arctic circle - Ice and snow endurance test). The only snow tires I use. I've never been stuck in my highlander. Put a set on may daughter's little Vibe. She lives in northern Michigan and laughs as she passes all the high end 4-wheel drive vehicles that slide off the road in heavy snows and ice.

#8 ·
I have both and they both are good in the snow with the right tires. The GC is a bit better because it's a long wheelbase and heavier than my 2 Dr JK.

I don't hesitate to take either one.

#9 ·
If you're not a hard core off-roader, the grand Cherokee, with QDII, is going to make those crusty off-roaders look stupid going up the mountain. You'll drive around with crap loads of traction and no jerking or banging that off-road 4WD tends to show.

In the snow, on open paved roads, all terrain, or dedicated snow tires are best. Studded snow tires are rarely justified, but they do work. All terrains on a stock GC with QDII are going to drive around all the stuck dorks, and pull them out.

#13 ·
Driver knowledge is just as if not a tad more important than snow tires. Whichever vehicle/tires you choose don't assume you are invincible. Practice driving in an empty parking lot. Learn how your vehicle acts in different situations, especially sudden maneuvers to avoid bad drivers in snow. And please remember 4X4, snow tires etc help you get going and stay going but they don't do much for stopping.

#16 ·
I wanted to describe the Grand Cherokee snow driving a little more. I have a 2014 F150 with 4 wheel drive (e-lock rear, but don't use it on ice unless I'm stuck) and nice snow rated tires. Last winter, I had the grand Cherokee with crappy street tires (my new lift and tires hadn't arrived), and it was much better to drive on snow and ice than the F150. Once I got good tires, it was even better. It was way better than the CJ-5 I used to have studded tires on in the winter, too. It's far more stable, changes lanes better, and much harder to have the rear end step around.

With the F150, any time I hit spots of good traction, I'd have to switch out of 4WD or listen to and feel the binding when I turn. Then I'd hit a little spot of snow and either not shift back, or wait for it to shift. So, I'm constantly screwing with it unless the snow is uniformly distributed (it rarely is around here).

With the QD2, I never felt or heard any binding, and always had crazy good traction, most notably stable when I turn and accelerate. It was even less prone to stepping the rear out like my F150 does when I punch it and turn. It's just seamlessly operating the lockers from open all wheel drive to a full lock on all 4 wheels, and I never feel it.

I still love my F150, and tend to drive it on snow anyway because it's bigger and people watch the hell out. It also has great HID headlights, so if I'm driving in the dark, it gets the nod over the GC.

#17 ·
I will ditto what others are saying we have a 16 Cherokee along with my Rubi and a big crew cab Duramax. The Cherokee is better than both the others until the snow gets over 3-4", the the smaller tires and limited clearance hurt it. Anything deeper and the Duramax weighing at 8k is just a beast in the snow, plus heavy ranch hand steel bumpers front a rear make me feel better if things go sideways.

#19 ·
?...... I can't make her let me drive it because she's Mexican and carries a knife.......
I have to say that this is one of the best comments I've ever read on any forum!:laugh2:

As to your original question the Grand Cherokee hands down with good winter tires. We've driven through 2 feet of snow when Suburbans and full size pick up trucks we're getting stuck.
We're taking ours up to NH for Christmas where they already have about 10" on the ground and are expecting more...

#20 ·
I can't believe I never chimed in on this first time through. Let me now.

Which goes better in deep snow, a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon or Grand Cherokee Overland or Summit?

Thanks in advance.
We own both a 12 WK2 Limited with QTII and a 16 JKU Sahara w/ 6-speed and Trac-Lok rear. Both with the V6 Pentastar which we love.

The answer depends on how you define "better".

The WK2 with full time 4wd and Select-Trac set to snow is extremely sure footed and has never failed us even in say a blizzard when we wanted to get to or from the ski mountain or if momma needed to get to the hospital to take care of tiny babies.

The JKU is part time and with the Trac-Lok rear you need to watch power applications in a curve on snow and ice. As such it's not work to drive in snow, and much more fun.

My choice is the JKU both for the fun factor and the control of a manual, but ALSO because if push comes to shove I'm certain the JKU will keep going when the WK2 has been stopped.

I think this from their comparative performances in deep/loose sugar sand in beaches and dunes. Where the WK2 struggles, the BLD's working full bore trying to scrape up some traction the JKU walks through without breaking a sweat.

Now with a version of Select-Trac available on the 2018 JLU Sahara I would guess it would be better than both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.