Best 91+ Cherokee to buy... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoXJ99 View Post
less than a grand for a 4x4 with only 118,000 miles on it!? you would be a fool to not buy it.
That doesnt answer my question. I would be a bigger fool for buying it and not being able to transport it back to my state because of some major problem that it has that i cannot fix in my alloted time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 Old 11-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Warhawk77
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerX3 View Post
That doesnt answer my question. I would be a bigger fool for buying it and not being able to transport it back to my state because of some major problem that it has that i cannot fix in my alloted time.

I would buy it.

Worst case you can't fix it on the spot, rent a car dolly from U-Haul for $100 or less and pull it home. Then fix it on your own time
post #18 of 35 Old 11-14-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well the guy never returned my phone call and now his ad has been taken down. On to the next jeep...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 35 Old 11-14-2009, 08:15 AM
cheapjeeps85
1999 TJ Wrangler 

some times is cps gap from the fly wheel my friend showed me a cool trick for that
post #20 of 35 Old 11-16-2009, 09:35 PM
lyleorszulak807
1988 XJ Cherokee 

saw that same ad on craigslist too! lol Ive been looking for another cherokee since I rolled mine and there are plenty of them out there for around 1k that are in good running condition.

88 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L - RE 5.5" springs | Teraflex shackels in the rear | RE1660 HD track bar with drop bracket | Rock Krawler adj UCA/LCA
ROLLED & TOTALED! 89 XJ 4.0L Renix AW4 | Rustys Air intake kit Steering Box reinforcement bar Bomb proof Motor Mounts | RE HD Track Bar, drop down Bracket, support brace | Cobra 75sxt CB | 33x12.5x15 MTR's on Crager soft 8 | Teraflex and 5.5" RE HD springs | yada yada...[/CENTER]
post #21 of 35 Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleorszulak807 View Post
saw that same ad on craigslist too! lol Ive been looking for another cherokee since I rolled mine and there are plenty of them out there for around 1k that are in good running condition.
Palmdale? You need to stop looking where im looking. Keep down south

post #22 of 35 Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not to turn this into a twitter page, but ill be heading out to look at a 98' today. Looks to only have 135k miles on it and a slight dent in the fender. hes asking $1800 obo for it. So is 98 a good enough year?

post #23 of 35 Old 11-22-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ha, did not buy. Apparently the previous owner decided to take it to moab and bust every fender, rip open the tailgate, break the rear glass and bust out most of the front end. The jeep was in bad shape. I hate when people lie to you over the phone and expect you to buy into their, "oh i have a friend who said it only costs...maybe he can fix it for you". What a waste of my morning.

post #24 of 35 Old 11-26-2009, 10:49 AM
PismoXJ99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerX3 View Post
Ha, did not buy. Apparently the previous owner decided to take it to moab and bust every fender, rip open the tailgate, break the rear glass and bust out most of the front end. The jeep was in bad shape. I hate when people lie to you over the phone and expect you to buy into their, "oh i have a friend who said it only costs...maybe he can fix it for you". What a waste of my morning.
haha that same exact thing happened to me when i bought my 99 on CL. I drove 200 miles to LA to get the thing cuz he only want $1990 and said the jeep was in pristine condition, not a scratch on it and no mechanical issues. I show up and the left fender was dented along with scratches all over the front end, and the CE light was on lol. I bought the thing anyways cause thats a steal of a deal for an XJ around here. I offered him 1800 and he took it. I ended up doing the jeep 2500 conversion so the front end is all pretty again along with new plug wires fixed the CE light. Long story short, FALSE ADVERTISEMENT lol
post #25 of 35 Old 11-29-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoXJ99 View Post
haha that same exact thing happened to me when i bought my 99 on CL. I drove 200 miles to LA to get the thing cuz he only want $1990 and said the jeep was in pristine condition, not a scratch on it and no mechanical issues. I show up and the left fender was dented along with scratches all over the front end, and the CE light was on lol. I bought the thing anyways cause thats a steal of a deal for an XJ around here. I offered him 1800 and he took it. I ended up doing the jeep 2500 conversion so the front end is all pretty again along with new plug wires fixed the CE light. Long story short, FALSE ADVERTISEMENT lol
Yea, sucks huh? At least yours was somewhat what you expected. Mine was a whole different story...lol.

On a positive note I finally bought an XJ. I only picked it up because it was such a steal. I was really in a cruch and the guy bit on my offer. Here is a pic of her.
ksl.com - KSL Car Classifieds
Its a 98 limited with all the goodies including 4x4 of course. Has 144k miles and looks to have been pampered its whole life. I love everything about this Jeep. Ill have to post a new thread when i get some pics compiled. So what do you guys think?

BTW how rare are the Limited trims?

post #26 of 35 Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think they are fairly rare on the 97+ Cherokees. I see lots of earlier Limited models driving around, but very few newer ones around or coming up for sale. Not sure why that is exactly, but I am guessing that after the Grand Cherokee came out most buyers who wanted luxury in their Jeep bought that instead. Most of the Limited's I see are late 80's early 90's.

-My business, being self-employed rocks.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
post #27 of 35 Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdarx View Post
I think they are fairly rare on the 97+ Cherokees. I see lots of earlier Limited models driving around, but very few newer ones around or coming up for sale. Not sure why that is exactly, but I am guessing that after the Grand Cherokee came out most buyers who wanted luxury in their Jeep bought that instead. Most of the Limited's I see are late 80's early 90's.
I agree. There seems to be much fewer from what i have ever noticed. Do we have a production # list where we can cross reference year by trim and accessories? You have a good point about the grand cherokees as well. Too bad they didnt hold their value.

post #28 of 35 Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
theducksguts
1998 XJ Cherokee 

did you buy anything yet?

Check out my
post #29 of 35 Old 12-01-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
did you buy anything yet?
I think i answered this earlier, but yes i did. I got a 98 Cherokee limited with 145k. The shocker is that it has been babied all of its life and has no mods done to it. I do like the added options the Limited version has. I am a fan.

Here are some pics...

post #30 of 35 Old 12-02-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No replies? I must have done something wrong...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.