Best 91+ Cherokee to buy... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 11-08-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Best 91+ Cherokee to buy...

So im in the jeep market. Ive always like Cherokees, especially since they are so versatile. I want one that can handle snow, occasional 4x4ing, get good gas mileage, carry all of my crap, and be super reliable/easy to work on. You have a year in mind? let me know.

Personally im partial to '97 and later Cherokee sport models with the 4.0 and 4wd. I think its mostly due to their styling, but the earlier 90 models are still nice. How do the 90's Cherokees compare? BTW I cant stand Grand Cherokees, so dont mention them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

nothing???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright...55 views and nothing? At least say something. Maybe tell me the models/years to stay away from.

post #4 of 35 Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

You said good gas mileage hahahaha. Not in a jeep.

97+ if your going for looks, other then that get a 95. already has the upgraded brakes, but it isnt obd2, so less BS to worry about

Thanks Chris!
post #5 of 35 Old 11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
PismoXJ99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the best year cherokee by far is a 99. You've got the upgraded intake, dont have the low pinion front axle and coil on plug ignition system like the 00 and 01. The cabin has upgraded noise reduction, Along with plenty more features. I've owned 6 xjs. And out of all of them, the 99 is far better than any other year.
post #6 of 35 Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBanditx View Post
You said good gas mileage hahahaha. Not in a jeep.

97+ if your going for looks, other then that get a 95. already has the upgraded brakes, but it isnt obd2, so less BS to worry about
Nice. Im actually looking at a 95 right now. Whats upgraded regarding the brakes? Just larger rotors, or discs all around? Btw whats wrong with having OBDII on these rigs? Would it not be nicer to have for troubleshooting?

PS thank you for being the first to respond in...days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoXJ99 View Post
the best year cherokee by far is a 99. You've got the upgraded intake, dont have the low pinion front axle and coil on plug ignition system like the 00 and 01. The cabin has upgraded noise reduction, Along with plenty more features. I've owned 6 xjs. And out of all of them, the 99 is far better than any other year.
Dont the 99's also have the more restrictive heads though? Would that same intake fit on earlier models? I agree in that iwould like the higher pinion and the quieter cabin, so ill keep that in mind for sure. Whats so bad about he coil on plug setup? Just out of curiosity which pre-97 model would you pick if you had to?

Again thanks for your response.

post #7 of 35 Old 11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I dont like obd2 on anything, its a headache where you have to fix everything to stock spec or you get stupid codes and cel's

As for brakes, better master cyl and booster than the 94 and older jeeps.

Thanks Chris!
post #8 of 35 Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
theducksguts
1998 XJ Cherokee 

96 and 99 are great years. I hear what xBanditx is saying about the OBDII, it is annoying.

I had the opportunity to pick up a 92 XJ Larado last summer for 1800 (147K) Should have jumped on it.

Check out my
post #9 of 35 Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 PM
PismoXJ99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I cant complain about OBII. I've never had a problem with it and honestly i'd prefer it. I like being able to plug in a scan tool and find out exactly why my engine isn't running right. It's a luxury every car should have, and sure does save a lot of time troubleshooting. If i was going to pick a pre 97 it would be a 96
post #10 of 35 Old 11-11-2009, 08:28 PM
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I cant complain about OBII. I've never had a problem with it and honestly i'd prefer it. I like being able to plug in a scan tool and find out exactly why my engine isn't running right. It's a luxury every car should have, and sure does save a lot of time troubleshooting. If i was going to pick a pre 97 it would be a 96
its where you live.

In NY, 95 and older dosent have to be plugged into the computer for inspection. This means we can do whatever we want for mods (read as put a big block chevy in anything) and it will pass inspection, where in a 96+ car, it could have a code light for a slight vacume leak, and you'd have to fix it or fail inspection

Thanks Chris!
post #11 of 35 Old 11-12-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys i ran across this Jeep. Normally i would just pounce on this, but it is out of state and i would have to fix it locally within a few days. Is this a common problem on Jeeps and how long do you think it would take me to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks for the help thus far guys.

1997 Jeep Cherokee Black with Silver interior 4X4 with 118,000 miles. This Jeep is in good shape but has some sort of problem with it blowing the crankshaft position sensor. Maybe it needs a factory sensor. I bought a couple of cheapies, the truck starts runs fine for about 10 miles then blows the sensor. Good truck with plenty of life left if you can figure out the problem.

post #12 of 35 Old 11-12-2009, 01:59 PM
PismoXJ99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bandit View Post
its where you live.

In NY, 95 and older dosent have to be plugged into the computer for inspection. This means we can do whatever we want for mods (read as put a big block chevy in anything) and it will pass inspection, where in a 96+ car, it could have a code light for a slight vacume leak, and you'd have to fix it or fail inspection
wanna know a very simply and free way to fix the CEL when its time to pass smog? Pull the instrument cluster and pull the bulb out. Thats what i did with the airbag light when i installed a gt grant steering wheel in my 99, worked like a charm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerX3 View Post
Hey guys i ran across this Jeep. Normally i would just pounce on this, but it is out of state and i would have to fix it locally within a few days. Is this a common problem on Jeeps and how long do you think it would take me to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks for the help thus far guys.

1997 Jeep Cherokee Black with Silver interior 4X4 with 118,000 miles. This Jeep is in good shape but has some sort of problem with it blowing the crankshaft position sensor. Maybe it needs a factory sensor. I bought a couple of cheapies, the truck starts runs fine for about 10 miles then blows the sensor. Good truck with plenty of life left if you can figure out the problem.
thats strange, def sounds like an electrical problem. I'm guessing a high input voltage to the CPS. What exactly do you mean by blows the sensor?
post #13 of 35 Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

thats strange, def sounds like an electrical problem. I'm guessing a high input voltage to the CPS. What exactly do you mean by blows the sensor?
Yea, thats what i dont get as well. The italics writing is his ad that i found. i have yet to get a hold of him, but im hoping that he is just a bad mechanic and didnt install it correctly. I was also reading in another thread here where a guy had to pull his battery cable for a bit and reset the ECU. Another guy had to pull his cam sensor(s) in order for it to work correctly. What do you think?

BTW he wants less than $1k for the Jeep.

post #14 of 35 Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 PM
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
wanna know a very simply and free way to fix the CEL when its time to pass smog? Pull the instrument cluster and pull the bulb out. Thats what i did with the airbag light when i installed a gt grant steering wheel in my 99, worked like a charm
The airbag light isnt part of inspection, and pulling the bulb dosent mean anything when they plug an obd2 car into the computer in a state that does obd2 inspections.

Thanks Chris!
post #15 of 35 Old 11-13-2009, 01:58 AM
PismoXJ99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerX3 View Post
Yea, thats what i dont get as well. The italics writing is his ad that i found. i have yet to get a hold of him, but im hoping that he is just a bad mechanic and didnt install it correctly. I was also reading in another thread here where a guy had to pull his battery cable for a bit and reset the ECU. Another guy had to pull his cam sensor(s) in order for it to work correctly. What do you think?

BTW he wants less than $1k for the Jeep.
less than a grand for a 4x4 with only 118,000 miles on it!? you would be a fool to not buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bandit View Post
The airbag light isnt part of inspection, and pulling the bulb dosent mean anything when they plug an obd2 car into the computer in a state that does obd2 inspections.
i know the airbag light isnt part of it, it was just an example. I didnt know they plug it in though. I still would rather want a 99 though :-P hehe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.