Barn find 1976 CJ7 with the intention of a full resoration. What would you pay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Barn find 1976 CJ7 with the intention of a full resoration. What would you pay?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 09-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
cboyd1215

Barn find 1976 CJ7 with the intention of a full resoration. What would you pay?

A friend of mine has a 1976 CJ7 Renegade for sale and we are having trouble coming up with a price for me to buy it. It has 52,480 original miles, straight six 258 cubic inch motor, 4x4, a runk bumper system, warn 8,000lb winch, a set of rims and a hard top that comes with it. It was pulled into a barn in good working order over 20 years ago and has not been driven since. The owner has turned it over occasionally over the years. The interior is need of attention and there is some rust around the front fenders. The condition of the rest of the jeep is unknown due to the length of time it has been sitting.

Edit: the jeep has not been started for many years and I do not know the condition of the motor

I have restored cars before so I know what variables go into a project like this. I do not know enough about jeeps to even give an offer. My intention is a frame off restoration to return this to its former glory. Let me know what you think a fair price for this jeep would be.

Here are some pictures to help out as much as possible.
http://cboyd1215.imgur.com/

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Edit: Bought the JEEP for $1800. Thanks for all of the advice guys and I will keep everyone posted!

Last edited by cboyd1215; 11-26-2013 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Update
cboyd1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It has an Offy intake, headers, a Warn 8274, AND a BBQ grill?

JUMP ON IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

the 8274 is worth $500 by itself, i say minimum $1500
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
cboyd1215

Thanks for your input so far
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Good luck with the restoration if you buy. I bought a '79 CJ-7 in February to use as a hunting vehicle... and I have now completed a mechanical restoration of the vehicle. I have rebuilt the transmission, transfer case, etc., etc. I'm up to at least $15,000 in it now - and the Jeep I bought ran the day I purchased it. Maybe I'm too picky? I have it up for sale now... if it doesn't, then I will enjoy hunting in it.

Anyway, if you don't know the condition of the motor - would you plan on rebuilding, or converting it? Just something to consider when trying to figure out the end result of your project.

By no means am I an expert, but after my experience, I would count on everything being broken!

With that said, I would tend to agree that $1,000 - $1,500 would be reasonable. Check the frame and tub for rust. As long as they are o.k., you can consider yourself buying the body and count on fixing everything else
mhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
cboyd1215

I am planning on rebuilding everything and keeping it as original as possible. My goal is to keep the restoration as low cost as possible. The frame and everything else is in fairly good shape. I have a lot of experience rebuilding cars so I figured a number like your $15,000 dollars is not to far off. Thanks for the feed back and wish me luck.
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Good luck with the rebuild. I'm sure you will find all of the Jeep sites to try and find odd parts. That's part of the fun of an old CJ!

If you know anyone down south that's looking for one, feel free to give my info!
mhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

I am planning on rebuilding everything and keeping it as original as possible.

that where you screwing up, only replace the parts that are worn out or broken. you see people that have 50k rebuild, its because they replace everything, cheaper buy a new one. if its not broken don't ***** with it.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
cboyd1215

Sorry I guess I was misunderstood. My intention is to use everything original and rebuild what I had to. I like the restoration of it, there is no fun in buying everything new. But I figured by the time I had new tires, a new interior, paint and body work, rebuilding the engine with all new seals and all the miscellaneous work I would have $10-$15k in the jeep. Frame and everything is in good shape.
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Adam013085

You will have at least 10-15 in it, probably more, I would say if you do it right. Never done a restore before but from what I read they are quite pricey. Plus you have to think of all expected expenses you did not account for along the way.
Adam013085 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
MightyLampshade

1979 CJ7 

If I'm incorrect I'm sure I'll be straightened out shortly but something I'd work into your consideration is that I believe the 1976 was a bit of a mutt year. Some parts will be harder to come by and some measurements may not line up exactly. I'm not saying this to dissuade you - I just wanted to mention it. I'd go as high as 2K if the frame and the body tub are in solid condition because in Ohio it can be hard to find clean parts.
1979 Golden Eagle Rebuild
MightyLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.