Automatic Jeep - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Automatic Jeep

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 05-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #61
DeafJeep

That would have been cool to live in that era. Congratulations on 50+ years of marriage. God Bless

DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #62
DeafJeep

Have been doing some research on restoring a CJ-7 someday ...

Which to choose among the many variations? For performance-minded Chuchua, it's no contest: "The best CJ ever built was the 1972 through 1976 with the V-8 and [full-time] Quad-Trac [4WD]." He notes the automatic models are more tractable offroad and thus easier to drive, and he likes the V-8's power.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1946-1986-jeep-cj8.htm
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #63
DeafJeep

Hi Doc, I went with your advice to buy the TJ when I have the money ready.

I can always save up for restoring a CJ-7 someday.
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #64
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think the Lj version of the TJ or as it is called a Tj unlimited. more room for gear and the familly. They are at the best price point for the money and the 4.0 6I is about bullet proof as it gets. Just no matter where you get one be on the look out for RUST under the body at all mounting points, the frame. Like we have talked about, the ones that lived in the south west are going to much better in the rust issues. But you never know. They best ones for axles and such will be Rubi's. but they tend to be high on the used market as a TJu rubi are more rare. The sahara rubis are the most rare and numbered if i recall.
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #65
DeafJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I think the Lj version of the TJ or as it is called a Tj unlimited. more room for gear and the familly. They are at the best price point for the money and the 4.0 6I is about bullet proof as it gets. Just no matter where you get one be on the look out for RUST under the body at all mounting points, the frame. Like we have talked about, the ones that lived in the south west are going to much better in the rust issues. But you never know. They best ones for axles and such will be Rubi's. but they tend to be high on the used market as a TJu rubi are more rare. The sahara rubis are the most rare and numbered if i recall.
I probably will move to sunny Texas in the near future if Goodwill re-locates me for work. Waiting to see what happens.
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #66
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

would be a real change from PA to Tex. I have thought about it my self. The wife would go in a Ny minute. she has friends there.

But the wheeling here is so good and we are rather close to most of the great wheeling areas: Az, Cali, Utah, Co,Nm. from my place i can draw concentric circles starting out say 1/50/100/200 on up to 600miles and be about anywhere in half a day to a few minutes and be on anything from a 1-5. Heading out to Big bear Ca. next weekend for a three day wheeling trip. so no wheeling this weekend, web wheeling here lol. I think went about every weekend in thast few months weather was perfect, getting warm now 104 today. we do not call it hot till its about 118+. about when tires start to melt.
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #67
DeafJeep

Have fun Doc next weekend and the sun will do you wonders for your health. Most people in the Northeast are sun deprived. I miss the Texas sun & used to swim at Galveston beach with my family when I was a boy. When I get married, I would like my family to enjoy the beach swimming the Jeep riding in the Texas sun.

Thank you Doc for the advice on the LJ/TJ and did not know the tires melt at about 118+ No wonder, that explains the tire blow-outs all over the Texan highways especially at night when the strong wind blows the shredded tire pieces on the side into the road if go too fast at night so you do not want to come across shredded tires especially at night to keep safe on the road.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #68
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafJeep View Post
Have fun Doc next weekend and the sun will do you wonders for your health. Most people in the Northeast are sun deprived. I miss the Texas sun & used to swim at Galveston beach with my family when I was a boy. When I get married, I would like my family to enjoy the beach swimming the Jeep riding in the Texas sun.

Thank you Doc for the advice on the LJ/TJ and did not know the tires melt at about 118+ No wonder, that explains the tire blow-outs all over the Texan highways especially at night when the strong wind blows the shredded tire pieces on the side into the road if go too fast at night so you do not want to come across shredded tires especially at night to keep safe on the road.
Thats in the shade too. I have seen it here 128*. 118-120 is normal summer temps. I am so looking forward to the High elevation of Big Bear and the Pines. Oh and wheeling, in the mountains
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #69
DeafJeep

That one would be neat for a Jeep restoration project someday using wood.

1963 Willys CJ-5 Jeep

Unread 05-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #70
DeafJeep

A couple nice ones ...

Unread 05-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #71
DeafJeep

Jeep Grilles 1940-2001

How to tell the difference ...

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/PosterGrilles.html
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #72
DeafJeep

Hi Doc, I have been reading the Jeep TJ section but not been posting there because I do not have a TJ yet.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #73
DeafJeep

This is mega-cool !!!

The City of Toledo, Ohio is finally getting serious about building a Jeep Museum and an associated Off-Road Trail Park for all jeepers to flock to.

More Information Here: http://ow.ly/l23YB
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #74
DeafJeep

The CJ-7 was produced from 1976 until 1986. The CJ-7 is basically a stretched CJ-5. An extra 10" was added behind the front seats to make the CJ-7 a 91" wheel base vehicle vs. the CJ-5s 81". The extra 10" allowed AMC to offer an automatic transmission for the first time in a CJ. A CJ-7 tub can be identified by the shape of the door opening, the opening is square where as the CJ-5 has a curving door opening. The Wrangler (YJ) tub has the same dimensions as the CJ-7 and can be used on a CJ-7 with some modifications.

The CJ-7 also was available with a hard top and doors from the factory. Hard tops and doors were available for earlier models, but not from the factory.

A new fully boxed frame was available for CJs from '76-'86 and although the welds are ugly, the frame is stronger than frames used in previous CJs. The frame was widened in the rear and the springs were moved farther out to make the CJs more stable on the road, unfortunately this mildly reduces the articulation of the rear axle. Other features such as sway bars and steering stablizers were added around this time to increase handling. Another change in 1982 was made to make the CJs more stable, wider axles were used. There are some differences in shock mounting, but "wide track" axles are compatible with '76-'81 "narrow track" CJs and visa-versa.
1980 marked the end of the Great Transmission Era. The '80-'86 CJs used medium and light duty transmissions compared to the heavy duty transmissions available in the late 70s.

1980 marked the return of the I4 CJ with the introduction of the GM 151 engine. 1981 was the last year for the V8 in a CJ from the factory. The 304 V8 was no longer an option from the factory, only the six cylinder and four cylinder engines were available after '81.

Several different trim package were available for the CJ-7s over the years including the Laredo and Jamboree packages. These are typically just trim packages though, they don't add much to the value of the vehicle.

Drive Train

Engine

The CJ-7 was originally offered with the 232 I6 as the stock engine and the 258 and 304 as an optional engines. In the late 70s, the 232 was dropped and the 258 became the stock engine. In 1980, the GM 151 I4 I4 engine was stock and the 258 and 304 were optional. The last year for the 304 was 1981. The GM 151 was replaced with the AMC 150 I4 in 1984.
Transmission

From '76-'79 the T-150 3 speed was the stock transmission and the T-18 4 speed with granny low was optional. During this time, the GM TH400 3 speed automatic was also available. After 1980, the heavy duty transmissions were no longer used. The SR-4 and T-176 were used with the I4 and I6. The T-176 was used with the 304. After 1981, the T-4, T-176, and T-5 5 speed were used. From 1980-1986, the TF999 was used with the I6 and V8 and the TF904 was used with the I4.
Transfer Case

The Dana 20 was used from '76-'79 and the Dana 300 was used from '80-'86.
Front Axle

The Dana 30 was always used in the CJ-7.
Rear Axle

Some odd models of the CJ-7 used the Dana 44, but the normal axle was the AMC 20.

http://www.jeeptech.com/models/cj-7.htm
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #75
DeafJeep

In 1976, as America celebrated its 200th birthday and the Jeep vehicle its 35th birthday, AMC introduced the seventh generation of the civilian Jeep, the CJ-7. For the first time, the CJ-7 offered an optional molded plastic top and steel doors. Both the 93.5-inch wheelbase CJ-7 and 83.5-inch wheelbase CJ-5 models were built until 1983 when demand for the CJ-7 left AMC no choice but to discontinue the CJ-5 and concentrate on the CJ-7 and Scrambler.

A direct descendant to the Jeep CJ, the new 1987 Jeep Wrangler improved upon the legendary design. And the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) was introduced for 1984, becoming one of the most popular Jeep vehicles ever.

http://www.hrja.org/jeep.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.