auto or 5spd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > auto or 5spd

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
ManofSteel
1997 XJ Cherokee 

auto or 5spd

im keeping my eyes open for a decent jeep for a good price and was just curious as to how the transmissions are in them.

ive been mainly looking at cherokees but have checked out a few wranglers and cjs.

ill be using it as a weekend warrier type truck, light mudding and trail riding, nothing extreme.

how are the auto's and the manuals in these vehilces tho. which is better, stronger, etc.

ManofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

This is a more widely argued topic than tire preferences. Here's my 2 cents: If your Jeep will be a daily driver or driven often in nasty traffic or a lot of stop and go I'd say get an auto. If the Jeep is an off-road only, get an auto. BUT, manual transmissions are better overall for things like better torque, pop-starting, repairing, etc. My first CJ7 was factory automatic and I loved it in Los Angeles traffic and off-roading. In this CJ7, I'm running stick with a finger/hand throttle. That way, if I go off-road and need that "third foot" - I use my index finger to give her gas while my feet tackle the clutch and brake. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
default_user
It's a Roobicon

ease of maintenance is the biggest advantage of a manual tranny...but, like CopperCJ7 said, an auto can make daily driving and off-roading easier and more pleasurable. 4 Lo on a manual Rubicon is almost, but not quite, like have an auto tranny. I have had very few third foot issues in 4 Lo.
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
ManofSteel
1997 XJ Cherokee 

driving a stick in traffic is not a problem for me. im just trying to determine which would be better overall, as far as strength and other things.

but what u were saying, obviously an automatic would be easier to deal with while off roading.
Unread 05-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
XWind
2007 JK Wrangler 

All driving preferences aside, I would get a manual. Easier in the long run for maintenance and like another poster said you can pop start if the starter goes. It also help improve mileage.
XWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I DD my jeep in the city & my wife can't drive a stick. So I got the auto, I'm too lazy to drive a manual anyways... but they are more fun!
Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I can't drive a standard, but i am going to get a manual Jeep and have my dad teach me. Driving an auto is boring!
Unread 05-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
schatenjager
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I may just be blowing smoke but I want to actually drive my Jeep. Having a stick shift really gives me the feeling that i'm controlling everything that it's doing. I've had automatics and it just felt like too much, I don't know, automation for me.

That aside, a manual transmission lets you control how fast the engine is turning in relation to the vehicle that you just can't do with an auto. I've had far too many transmission issues with my wife's van that wouldn't have been a problem with a stick. You're just at the mercy of the transmission...

As for strength, etc....I don't really think there's that much of a major difference between the two for most driving. I would guess that the hydraulic nature of an auto would put less stress on the internal transmission parts but I can't prove that. I've never had an issue with my transmission and while I"ve heard of clutch breakage from others, I've routinely got clutches past the 150,000 mile mark without having to replace them...
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Stick is the way to go in my opinion. I do not really get people that have an auto wrangler, with a stick I can control the thing and get it to do what I want it to do not what a computer says. With bigger tires I would prefer a stick because the auto was designed with a certain size tire and with a standard I can change my driving habits based on what I am running. If you want to feel in control get a standard!

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
ManofSteel
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ok, then my next question would be this:

for those of you that have owned and driven both offroad, is it that difficult to drive a standard off road? I know how to drive a stick, however, my experience has been limited to on road in a car. I have driven a standard truck, but never off road (so i am familar with how the clutches in cars and trucks are different).
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
Clamwacker
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ManOfSteel, it's not really that difficult. After you stall four or five times trying to climb up a hill, you'll get the hang of it. I spent last summer driving my buddy's Cherokee, and it gets to be pretty easy after a while. On really bumpy stuff or steep hills it does sometimes feel like you need a third foot, though. I haven't had the opportunity to try one with a hand throttle, but it sounds pretty fun.
Clamwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.