Advice For New Model Buyers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Advice For New Model Buyers

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 05-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Advice For New Model Buyers

Traditionally, the Memorial Day weekend is a good period to find a deal on a new vehicle. This may be true for some vehicles, but I found it difficult to get a good deal on a 2009 Rubicon in the large city where I live.

There is an unprecedented situation right now where inventory is very low, dealer incentives have disappeared, and Chrysler is going through restructuring. With factory production halted, sales personnel have little reason to sell Wranglers below MSRP. At two dealerships I was told that sales of the 2-door Wrangler have tripled in the past year and sales of 4-door Wranglers have increased quite significantly.

Given these circumstances, I was unable to find a fully loaded Rubicon with the options I wanted. The salesmen searched the local area within a radius of several hundred miles. Not much is available. I myself confirmed this online when I used several ZIP Codes to search for Rubicons at various points around the U.S.

Here is a timeline that I was given during my dealer visits...

June 9-15 -- Struggling dealerships will be closed. Their inventory will be distributed to other locations. There are not a lot of Wranglers. Don't expect an inventory deluge and lower prices. Most dealers will receive very few Wranglers, if any at all.

Factories will be restarted to complete assembly of vehicles that were ordered but left unfinished weeks ago. Some vehicles have little chance of being sold at a profit because the 2009 model year is going to end soon. These partially assembled vehicles will be crushed instead of having their assembly completed!

After the current orders are filled factories will be idled again. No additional 2009 vehicles will be produced, only the ones already ordered by dealers. New orders for 2009 vehicles are no longer being accepted.

June 15 - July 7 -- Factories reconfigured for production of 2010 models.

July 7 - July 15 -- Dealers begin to place orders for 2010 models.

Late August - early September -- Delivery of 2010 vehicles begins.

So what should you do if you want a 2009? Visit your local dealer. If you cannot get a significant discount off MSRP, then do not buy. Later in the year dealers will be more inclined to clear their remaining inventory. The next best time to look for a deal is the July 4th weekend. By then the factory production of 2010 models will have begun. I plan to wait for the 2010 vehicles.

Expect few or no incentives for next year's models. Chrysler will be less inclined than usual to hand out incentives because they will be under pressure to show profitability after restructuring.

Last edited by 2010Rubicon; 05-24-2009 at 03:58 PM..
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
UTAH

Must be a regional thing. We're overloaded here on the lots with JKs. The dealers are still taking $6 to $8 thousand off sticker to move the '09s (depending on model and options).

Bill
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

In your area Utah has very few Rubicons just like everywhere else in the USA. According to the Jeep website there are only 11 Rubicons within 200 miles of Salt Lake City -- and those 11 are spread across 4 dealers. The lower priced models, such as the X, are somewhat more plentiful. Of course, if Utah has been hit hard by the recession, then everything goes at the fire sale.

I don't want an X model. My interests are more high end near $35K for a fully loaded vehicle.

One of the salesmen I spoke with told me there is an oversupply of trucks in my area. That dealer is selling them for only $300 over invoice.
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Your new here, however this has been covered in several other posts. Basically the time to buy ended May 5. You may still be able to get a really good deal but it's going to take work and stock levels are dropping. Also Wranglers tend to sale better in the summer.

Good Luck

Where is Auto TX

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater View Post
Where is Auto TX
southwest side of texarkana.

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
limpoe

Buying a new Wrangler soon need advice

Hi,

I know there's already a lot of these questions but I think every case is different since every Jeep is different.

I am buying a Jeep Wrangler in the next days and I have a $25,000CAN budget considering that I'll become my wife's and mine primary vehicule.
I have been looking at the options and it comes to this:

- Wrangler X 2009, basic, A/C, manual, Freedom Top.
Price: $25,000

- Wrangler Sahara or Rubicon 2007 - 2008, you know more than me what they come with, hard top, let's say 35,000km average, etc.
Price: $20,000 - $25,000

I am not doing Off Road for now, so it's normal city use considering that I live in Montreal and winters are hard.

I have been reading about today's situation with 2009 Jeeps and how incentives are not very good for these months and that's why I'm doubting about a new car but I don't know if an used is a good option.

I am excited to finally BE active on this forum and not read-only.

I'll appreciate any comments, advice, and opinions.
limpoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Antenna_X
2010 JK Wrangler 

here is a Rubi from a member here in WA for a great price:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=20
Antenna_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
rangermatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

As a former car salesman I can tell you that almost any dealer will sell a car at invoice if you commit to buying now. What's the invoice? Just ask and most likely they'll show it to you. You might have to ask a few times and be firm but they almost always will. Take 3% of the total MSRP (their holdback, not the same for all brands) off of the invoice price and start negotiations from there. e.g. $30,000 sticker price, invoice is $28,000 holdback would be $900. Start at $27,100 and don't go much above $28,300.

Don't let them close you on payments, they are what they are. Some dealers will bump the payments $20-30 on their initial offer so when you say they're to high they drop it $20-30 without giving up profit. Shop around before hand for the best rate you can get. Tell the dealer you will use their financing if they can meet or beat that rate. They make some money if they arrange the financing and will be more willing to deal. e.g. rate is 5%, the dealer can buy that rate at 4.5% and make the .5% difference. This is a deal they get for bringing volume to the bank. If you pay 5% to your bank or 5% to their bank the payment is the same. They'll most likely want to run your credit. If you really want to buy let them. It shows you're serious and makes them more likely to deal. If you're really just looking don't, it serves no purpose.

If a trade is involved tell them you want to see discount and trade value separate. Understand tho that if you buy at or below invoice you won't get much more than what your trade is selling for at local auctions. Throw out kbb value. They get their values based on what dealers "show" for trades. i.e. a trade is worth $4,000 and discount is $1,000 kbb will show trade value at $5,000. What you want is the $4,000 trade value and an even bigger discount. It may be worth it to sell the trade privately, take into account the hassle and time and decide if it's worth it to you.

When you agree on price and they send you into the F&I office stay alert. I personally have had a dealer take my trade out of the deal (an $800 junker). The bottom line was $848 more than what I figured (pa sales tax is 6%). When I brought it up they insisted the numbers were right. I showed them the math and they back pedaled like crazy. What kills me is I told them I was in the business. Formula is: (selling price - trade value) += subtotal, subtotal * sales tax + subtotal + tags, notary fees, etc... I wanted an extended warranty and told them I want it at cost to make up for their "oversight". If you too want an extended warranty (although it's iffy with chrysler products right now) tell them you'll pay no more than 20% over their cost. It's negotiable just like the price of the car. Again ask to see their cost. They need to make something or else why sell it? 20% is fair.

If they don't take your deal try again at the end of the month. All dealers have a monthly quota. In my experience you can get near the same deal on the 1st of the month as the last day of the month. Also, make sure the salesman understands his job is to sell you the deal and sell the deal to the tower at the same time. If you don't buy he doesn't get paid.

Sorry for the long reply just wanted to put this info out there. I once saved a co-worker over $2k over the phone using these same tactics. There's some more little tips I can give you, pm me if you're interested.
rangermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
rangermatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Realized my formula wasn't very clear, here it is again:
Selling price- Trade value = Subtotal

Subtotal * sales tax + Subtotal + tags + notary fees + misc = Bottom Line
rangermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
limpoe

Thank you guys for your replies.

I have decided (mainly because of my wife) that I am getting a new Wrangler. I am also considering to buy a new Sahara. Is either the Wrangler completely basic or the Sahara, it will all depends on the look of the car. I am going there to see them and if I feel that the Sahara is really worth it I'll go for it.

Now, dealerships....
I have an appointment with a dealership on Friday, the sales person seems to be very nice (again my wife talked to him and he was the only decent that took time to explain her details). I told him I wanted to buy that day and that I wanted a better discount than $1,000 and that if I get the Sahara, even more. He said that it is something that we can only check in person after giving me the whole "service is the most important deal" speach.

My plan is to get the dealership to give me his best price and I know a friend that knows very well the owner of a dealership and told me that once I have the best dealership price, he will compare with his friend (apparently they have good deals between dealerships).

I will certaintly take more advice concerning the Sales because they don't look ilke they are going to give me any $500 extra as discount, I don't know if it's a Canadian thing. I was also considering asking for free accessories, like the Sunrider top free on the Sahara or the RME edition on the X for free. Is this something that they do?

I also forgot to mention that I am paying CASH, is that a good thing to get more options and a better deal?

I'll send you a PM Rangermatt but I think it's better to post it here so that other newbies can see it to. What do you think?

Thanks again,

M.R.

Last edited by limpoe; 05-30-2009 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: Corrections
Unread 05-30-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
limpoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antenna_X View Post
here is a Rubi from a member here in WA for a great price:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=20
Thanks for your reply but this is in Vancouver. I am in Montreal, it's almost like traveling to China to pick it up.
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #12
distantdog
2004 WJ 

There's a dealer around here whos got two 09 Black Rubicons, loaded. One is $37K sticker, the other $35K.

I figure their asking price will probably be something like $32K?

I'm thinking of throwing out an offer of around $28? and going from there. Maybe they'll laugh, but I figure its a good starting point? Seems like I've heard of people getting that price lately...

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Just curious.

SOLD: 2001 TJ Sport
distantdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
limpoe

Just to follow up with my topic.

They are offering me a Sahara 2009 2dr with another set of Winter tires, Manual Transmission, Switch killer and Sherlock at $31,000 tx included.

What do you think?

This is in Montreal, Canada.

Every day closer to my Jeep!!!
Unread 06-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpoe View Post
Just to follow up with my topic.

They are offering me a Sahara 2009 2dr with another set of Winter tires, Manual Transmission, Switch killer and Sherlock at $31,000 tx included.

What do you think?

This is in Montreal, Canada.

Every day closer to my Jeep!!!
WTF is switch killer and sherlock?

Also, WTF is Canada?

SOLD: 2001 TJ Sport
distantdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.