Advice on first wrangler purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Advice on first wrangler purchase

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
sbollin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Advice on first wrangler purchase

Tomorrow I'm going to check out two wrangler's. This would be my first time purchasing a jeep. I've been driving Saab's for the past couple years and am quite tired of their expensive problems. Always wanted a wrangler now I finally have a little saved up for a used one. There are two at a dealership here. Any advice on what I should look for. And are these a fair asking price.Thanks in advance. Here are the links for the two. http://www.abwautos.com/2005-Jeep-Wr...-06770/5031872
http://www.abwautos.com/2006-Jeep-Wr...-06770/4980718

sbollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

On the 2005 the only red flag that I can see is the diamond plate rust covers on the front and rear corners. I would check very very carefully underneath for both frame and tub rust, which is the killer of jeeps, especially in your part of the world. Neither jeep looks to be modded to death, which is a big plus. However just by looking at the pictures the 2006 would be the one I would be interested in. No obvious rust cover up. Stock as far as I can see which is a big plus. A more basic model, with fewer miles. Do a Carfax check on the one you decide on, as well as a very through rust inspection. Keep us posted on how you come out.
Unread 05-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
sbollin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great thanks. Yeah I've read about rust problems that'll be the first thing I check. Didn't realize the plate covers were to hide rust. Figured that was for styling.
Unread 05-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbollin View Post
I've been driving Saab's for the past couple years and am quite tired of their expensive problems.
unless you can turn a wrench. A jeep is rather expensive to repair as well and drive. As much as people want a Jeep, does want justify the need.

Rust that you see is not were you need to look. Frame and tube to frame as well as just what you see, the panels. as much as 4.0 is well known to have a long life. Miles are miles on anything.
Unread 05-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
sbollin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Decided on the 05. Checked for rust and the bottom was pretty much rust free and very clean. Looked under the faux diamond plating and there was no rust either. The adhesive was loose so I peeled it away. Very good power while on the test drive and nothing out of the ordinary that i could tell from the short drive. I have 30 days if any problems should arise. As far as expensive repairs, I've always fixed my own vehicles so I'm mechanically inclined somewhat 😉 I have 4 Saab's I'm always getting some random code thrown or odd noise, I'm forever fixing something. But from the looks of it at least everything in the engine bay seems more accessible then the super tight saab engines. I have to be a hand contortionist to get anything done. Picking it up Monday. Winters should be a lot easier to navigate now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.