Advice on buying XJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-26-2017, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
ethaning-7

Advice on buying XJ

Hi all,
So I am 16, just got my license in November, my parents gave me a little bit of help to buy my first car, which ended up being an '02 Nissan Pathfinder. Maybe lasted 2 months before it died on me, ended up having to sell it to a mechanic (the ECU was bad and I didn't have money to fix it). So I got my parent's old minivan, which I have been driving for the past few months (yuck). Anyways, I've finally got a couple grand saved up to buy my own car and I really want a Jeep XJ. I have started looking on Craigslist to avoid overpriced dealerships and extra fees. The only thing I'm a little worried about is how high mileage is on almost all of them, I definitely can't afford to buy another money pit like the Pathfinder. From what i've researched, the inline 6 is one of the best engines ever made, so it should last for a long time as long as it was taken care of. Just looking for some advice on things to look for, mostly to give me (and my parents, who are understandably wary of me buying another car) some peace of mind that I'm not wasting more money. Me and my dad are pretty handy with doing little maintenance stuff, (brake pads, we've done an IACV; I don't mind that kind of stuff, just can't handle a big-money fix. Anyways, thoughts? Advice? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-26-2017, 06:59 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Any XJ out there will be older than you and have high mileage. The odds of finding one in the price range you're talking about that doesn't need a lot of work are pretty slim.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 4 Old 05-26-2017, 11:12 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
jeep <and> money pits are synonyms. J.E.E.P.: Just empty every pocket.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

And there's a lot of room to get busy in a mini van. Just saying.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited

Tags
cherokee , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.