About to make an offer on a 84 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > About to make an offer on a 84 CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
jvbull86

About to make an offer on a 84 CJ7

Hey everyone,

Im about to settle down on an offer with a guy on this CJ7 and i want to know what you all think before I go any further. He bought the jeep from his friend that did all the work to it and doesnt know much about it, rarely even drove it.

Here is the craigslist link.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/4325093235.html

Its missing the lower portion of the bellhouse cover to the flywheel, and who knows how long its been like that. Ive been told that alot of people do that on lifted CJs to line up the starter and that its fine.

Whats your opinion and whats a fair price?

jvbull86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
jvbull86

well he already deleted the post because I commited to buying it. but is it ok for that flywheel housing to be off on the bottom? its a I-6 258 to a 5 speed manual trans
Unread 02-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No. Mine was missing when I got my jeep and the first thing I did was find one online at a salvage yard, bought it for $35 (with shipping) and had a man put it on for me while he was replacing the timing chain. You can go without a cover until you get into mud, dirt, sand or high grass. At that point your flywheel area gets packed with crud. I have never heard the line "lots of people do that" concerning leaving off a flywheel inspection cover. I wonder if lots of people also leave off the valve cover so that they can adjust the valves!?
Wish you had not committed to this jeep until you had received at least a few answers from owners on this forum.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Tough to give you advice without much more info -like the actual ad

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
jvbull86

I had the add up there but he removed the add once i commited to it. I figured it wasnt right to have that off, I just hope the whole tranny doesnt have to be replaced. Hes asking 4500 and with that cover being off and seeing old mud under the jeep im going to use that to talk him down to 3800 so even then i feel like im getting a steal on it without insulting the man
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
jvbull86

Here is a view of the fly wheel

All new floorpans were welded in but you can see the install was a bit of a slop job from underneath

does anyone have access to run a vin and get me a history on this?

looking at front driveshaft to the transfer case

not a good pic but i was trying to capture the slight glaze of oil down the side of the 4.2 I-6

some shot of the standard steering linkage that is connected to a YJ steering box and no steering stabilizer

Sorry i know the pictures suck. I have tried to highlight all the bad but i should of taken some good shots of it too.

Any more info you guys can give would be nice. I havent bought it yet, just gave him my word so no backing out now i just gotta figure out an offer to start him with.
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Doesn't look terrible from the limited pics. Does it have the stock plastic valve cover? If so, that is most likely where the oil on the engine is leaking from. Couple hundred bucks for a new aluminum one, and a few hours will clear that up. What gears does it have? How's the interior? Spring lift? Size/brand? YJ half doors and top? Any rust? No flares, do you have to pass inspection? And how's the wiring? Do all the lights, guages and switches work?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
jvbull86

Sorry i couldnt get any more pics. All the gauges/lights work. NO RUST! it had a frame off restoration back in 09 so i wouldnt have to tackle on any body restorations for this upcoming season at least. the steering was sloppy and the transmission felt rough when starting out. from what i can see is that he did a spring over axle lift and put on the 33's. updating the driveshafts, steering, gears, ect. for that lift and bigger wheels didnt seem to have been addressed by the person that did the work. Also noted by the transfer case seeming to have been dropped an inch to 2 inches. Im tagging this vehicle as historic so I dont have to go through inspection and stuff since it will just be a weekend/trail rig.

Hope this helps,
keep the info coming!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.