About to buy a Wrangler, but which one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > About to buy a Wrangler, but which one?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 05-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
BobbySwiz
2009 JK Wrangler 

About to buy a Wrangler, but which one?

I am looking into buying a jeep wrangler. I like both the TJ's and the new JK Model aswell. I can go either way honestly. If i get a TJ it's gonna be an 06', and if i go JK maybe 08' or hold off till 09'.

My question is, which is better? I don't offroad really at all, the beach, but that is nothing hardcore. I want to compare engines. Which is better? I know the JK's have only been out for a couple of years, but how does the new 3.8L engine compare to the older Inline 6?

Anyone who has knowledge on this subject, your help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

BobbySwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't plan to offroad, might as well go with the JK. It's the fav of the soccer moms and nothing crawls the mall better.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
MEnginerd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I could have easily gotten a JK, but liked the looks of the TJ better. Well actually the LJ to fufill my scrambler lust from when i was younger.

There are some nice things on the JK suspension, like the shock and other bracket placements but if you aren't gonna wheel it that won't really matter. JK will cost a lot more to modify, if that matters to you.

Test drive them both...

-Brent
- 06 LJ Rubicon 34" LTB's / 33" MTZs, OME Springs/Shocks, RE FTB, JKS RTB & 1.25BL, Brown Dog MML, Fabtech F Bump, Warn M8000 on AtoZ plate, ORF R Bumper & Rack, AR CAI, Banks Catback, Hi-Lift, Midland 75-822, Dual MF1050 Comp, Clayton Skids, Kilby Gas Skid
- 94 Firebird Formula, 02 Softail Deuce, 86 GSXR750
- RIP 97 TJ, 83 CJ7, 87 TType
MEnginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
If you don't plan to offroad, might as well go with the JK. It's the fav of the soccer moms and nothing crawls the mall better.
and the interior is purdy too.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I cant agree with you more. The weight (porker) and the design (trying to look like a hummer) seem to appeal to the soccer moms. Stick with the TJ- the last wrangler, IMO.
zband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
aszalan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySwiz View Post
I know the JK's have only been out for a couple of years, but how does the new 3.8L engine compare to the older Inline 6?

Anyone who has knowledge on this subject, your help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
the 4.0L inline 6 has been a good engine for the TJ. the V6 in the JK is basically a minivan engine.
aszalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
island hopper
1999 WJ 

Go with the TJ....also get the Dana 44 rear and 30 in front. I drove a new JK, but I found a used TJ I liked much more that only had 22,000 miles and all documented maintenance....and I saved almost $10,000
island hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

4.0L is old design, outdated and inefficient. Yet it seem to be very reliable and has garnered quite a following. 190 hp @ 4,600 rpm and 235 ft-lbs of torque @ 3,200 rpm

The 3.8L originally was in the Dodge Caravan and 215 (5000 rpm) HP and 245 (4000) ft-lbs of torque. The version that is used in the JK has been re-adjusted to 205 hp and 240 ft/lbs of torque- probably because it is a high reving engine. Its not a bad engine, but like I said earlier Jeep (IMO screwed up) buy making the JK heavier, thus negating any advantages to this engine.
zband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you're in the TJ forum, you're going to get a biased opinion.

personally, I say get an LJ

you'll have the D44 and a better ride, plus more space for beach goodies.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #10
lucy4227
2004 TJ Wrangler 

there are so many reasons why I perfer the TJ over the new JKs other than the fact that I have a TJ. The I6 a breeze to work on, if you are into doing maintance yourself, the engine is "bulletproof". You can also get a better deal on a used TJ than a newer body style JK. Just like any other vehicle when a new body style comes out the price of the older body style will be negotiated easier. Whatever you decide do yourself a favor and get the Dana 44, or even better yet get a rubicon. If want to lift it and get bigger tires down the road even just "just for looks" it comes with 4.10 gears and it will save you money on gears and such. Besides you never know if you will get the wheelin bug after you get a jeep, and you will already have a lot of upgrades that some of us are still working on getting.
lucy4227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
minileprechaun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Go for an LJ .. if I could do it again, that's what I'd get. Enough room for a backseat and junk in the trunk!
minileprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Drive both. Pick the one you like best. It's a personal preference thing as they are both good off-roaders and both have their pluses and minuses.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
Wheels4

i've recently test driven the 08 4dr and an 06 unlimited... both felt as if they had the same amount of power to me. both were manuals. i've been reading alot of negative comments about the JK's power... but, zband said it best referring to the weight/power ratios. xlr8n is right... just test drive both and see which one you like.

my personal deciding factor is going to be the fact that i can upgrade the pee pee out of the TJ unlimited cheaper than i can a JK.
Wheels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
NEVERSWEAT
Northman

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I second that! Saw a new one yesterday lifted and tricked out which might see a little light beach sand duty. With all the new trinkets it has...all designed for creature comforts but stacked to roll like thunder. You will have the most capable of grocery getters and then able to play hell on rocks if you so should choose.
Uncle Willy, The InnKeeper #3
06 Rubicon locked and loaded....
NEVERSWEAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.