About to buy a jeep! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > About to buy a jeep!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 05-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Pinkfloyd09

About to buy a jeep!

Hello out there!

I have been searching far and wide for my first jeep. Finally found a pretty solid deal!

2008 black Wrangler X Sport Utility, 2 door Has 18k miles. 21559 sticker price.
After my trade in it will be 16,000.

It has a soft top and I am find of it but would immediately be looking into a hard top. My two questions are...

1. Is it a good deal? It's in great shape.. May need new tires in a year or 2.

2. Where is the best place to buy a hard top? I have been looking on Craig's list but haven't found anything good yet.

Thanks! -Andy, so cal

Pinkfloyd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is worth what you will pay for it. The mileage of 18k is very, very low. A normally driven vehicle that is six years old will have over 60k miles. Whats wrong with this one? Why hasn't it been driven more?
Two other very big questions. Does it have any rust? In California I wouldn't think so, but you never know. The second question: Has it been lifted/modified?
If it has been lifted all bets are off. Lifts rarely increase worth and in many cases hurt the value.

For a stock unit, Kelleys blue book says it is worth $18,950. Check them and Edmunds or NADA for estimated values in your area.

Your are being given about $3k for your trade in. How do you feel about that?

Hard tops are for sale from Quadratec and many other suppliers.
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Adam013085

Wow that's a pretty high price for an 08 X soft top. Good deal, I'd say not but whatever makes you happy. That price probably is not much less than it cost brand new in 08. For a few K more you can have a brand new Jeep with the 3.6 engine. I can't make the decision for you but no way would I pay that much for a 2 door 08.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

hard tops are not cheap.
if it has 3.21:1 gears and you plan to move up to 33+ gearing is not cheap.
if its a auto the 42le is not geared well for a jeep.

at 21.5K you are with in the price of new one that has more power for few more K, if the auto is in the plan the newer w580 is one of the best things Jeep added. It can handle bigger tires much easier than the stick with less gearing. It can handle for torque than the stick.

i would shop around more.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.