'98 ZJ 5.9L 220k - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > '98 ZJ 5.9L 220k

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
stefty

'98 ZJ 5.9L 220k

Hi all, just created a membership. I've done a lot of a browsing while I was search for a jeep a few months ago and found a lot great stuff on here.
Anyways to the point:
A coworker wants to sell me his '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L. He bought it new in 98 or 99 and has babied it it's whole life. He spent more on his jeep then he did his first house. The interior is in really great condition, exterior is better than decent. He had the transmission replaced at about 207k miles. He says he's never had a problem with and he loves it. Never really done any off-roading and a week or 2 ago he took it on about a 500mi road trip.
But he wants $4000 for it.
How much longer can this thing last? Any ideas on what kind of money I might be putting into this thing in the future?

Thanks for your help!

stefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
stefty

bump
stefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My parents have the same vehicle (98 5.9 zj limited) that they bought when it was a year old and still have it. Does the a/c and heat work? It seems like they have problems with the blend doors, ac, etc. My parents has close to 200k on it now and is having quite a few electrical gremlins, but still runs and drives fine.

Sounds like a nice jeep, but 4k seems pretty steep with that many miles. It may be worth it if it's really nice and you can get him down closer to 3k.

I would suggest doing research in the zj area.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be hesitant to buy anything with that many miles, let alone for $4k. The engines are pretty solid and long-lasting with proper maintenance, but it's probably pretty tired if it's not been rebuilt. Anything than fail at that mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.