98 wrangler advise on purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 98 wrangler advise on purchase

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
jeepinjonathan
2002 WJ 

98 wrangler advise on purchase

Hey guys im looking at getting a wrangler again. The jeep im looking at had the 4.0 rebuilt 40k ago. Now that dosent bother me but the rest of the jeep has 240000 miles on it. they want 6500 are they out of their mind or shoud i go for it. Also it has a 6 in skijacker lift and 35's thanks

jeepinjonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

anything else been rebuilt? My tj has 215000 on it, but everything has been rebuilt except the t-case. Has the tranny been rebuilt? What about the axles?
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjonathan View Post
Hey guys im looking at getting a wrangler again. The jeep im looking at had the 4.0 rebuilt 40k ago. Now that dosent bother me but the rest of the jeep has 240000 miles on it. they want 6500 are they out of their mind or shoud i go for it. Also it has a 6 in skijacker lift and 35's thanks
The 6" skycrapper lift would discourage me more than the mileage. If they went 6" of lift I doubt anything else was done correctly for 35" tires.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
jeepinjonathan
2002 WJ 

i doubt anything else has been rebuilt. what should i look for to see if they done the lift correctly
jeepinjonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjonathan View Post
i doubt anything else has been rebuilt. what should i look for to see if they done the lift correctly
The fact it has 6" of lift is already a flag. 4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift is the standard for fitting a 35" tire. Anything over 4" on short arms is ill advised. And basically all of the bolt on long arm kits are poorly designed crap.

Brake upgrades are a must for 35" tires.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I saw that one on CL. Black with a tan top right?

Aside from what is mentioned above, a few other things stand out in the pics to me. The pic of the underside of the front end - the bumper bolt is halfway in. That tells me that the bumper has been off for some reason. Did they rob some nice parts off it for themselves? Lots of undercoating has been aplied to make it look better - what is that covering up?

Notice the passenger rear window. Looks like it is ripped. Do you want to drive it like that or purchase a new top? No spare tire. If you plan to run one, you then have the cost of tire and wheel, plus a rear swingout to carry a 35' (tailgate wont do it).

Seats look nasty

In my opinion, unless they can prove the engine was rebuilt (and hopefully done right) I dont see that Jeep being anywhere near the asking price. I also think they are hoping the lift and tires draw people in.

One final thing to note: The tag on it looks like a South Carolina Dealer tag. If so, would it pass inspection here in NC? I'd ask. If it has spent it's life in SC who knows what could have been changed on it since they don't do inspections. Depending on your inspection station, I see at least two reasons it wouldn't pass. No 3rd brake light and no side markers since someone did the 4" round tailights.

All in all, yea you could fix all the issues mentioned above but I think you'd be much better off looking at something else
AdamH07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With a 6" lift I wouldn't touch it as a gift. Too many question marks here. Too many other jeeps with a lot fewer miles on them.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.