97 TJ carfax issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 97 TJ carfax issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Stuicism
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ carfax issue

So I have been browsing the forums for almost 2 months now as I have been looking for a Jeep in the right price range. I am pretty sure I have found the right one and will be looking at it on Thursday. The only problem is with the carfax I just ran. It isn't really that bad, but there are a few things I need opinions on.

1) The first owner was classified as "corporate fleet lease".
Does this just mean it was used as a company car?

2) This is the one that has me a little worried. The car is listed as "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED". Now normally this would be a red flag for me BUT the odd thing is that this is listed 2 months after the car was first bought. Let me give a timeline:

07/15/1996 -- Car was registered as corporate lease vehicle
07/31/1996 -- First title issued / first owner reported
09/03/1996 -- NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED "mileage after this point is potentially unreliable"

After that it is just normal mileage increments and no more issues.

The car has 103k miles now and it is a 97. The history shows that between 2000 - 2003 the car was sold between dealers not acquiring much mileage so the mileage isn't unreasonable at all.

Basically I just want you guys to confirm that this doesn't look like a big issue and it probably was something stupid.

Also I know to look for rust and make sure the 4wd shifts fine, but what else should I really check out when I look at it on Thursday? Is there anyway I can tell that it may have acquired more mileage than it lists?

Thanks a lot.

Edit by Jerry Bransford: Offers to do Carfax reports and requests for Carfax reports are verbotten on JF.

Stuicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

A lot of members seem not to put too much stock into what carfax says. I am not too sure why.

Here is an [old] thread saying carfax got it wrong:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/archi.../t-137578.html

If I PMed you.
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

My camaro was a "corporate lease vehicle".

Turns out it was owned by delphi, and was just never driven for two years....though the speed limiter its supposed to have is non existent on it. (test vehicle? )

I wouldn't worry.
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't be too concerned with it. The mileage sounds reasonable for the year, and the issue happened right when it was first bought. It was probably used as a company car.

As for Carfax, you really can't put too much into it. I does have its uses, but for example. If you smack up a vehicle, then fix it yourself, it won't show up on carfax. It will only show up when things are reported.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
DJ Daddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I always thought Corporate Lease Vehicle meant it was part of a rental fleet. I know that you can rent Wranglers in Hawaii from the major brands.

Unread 12-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Lake_efx
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you guys do not recomend Car fax then what do you recomend?
Lake_efx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake_efx
carfax is a decent resource but take it with a grain of salt, dont 100% depend on it. the best thing you can do is look at the jeep yourself, check EVERYTHING our for yourself first hand, drive it as much as you possibly can. that is by far the best thing that you can do.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake_efx
Another thing you can do. If you don't trust yourself enough to check it out. Ask if you can take it to a local garage and have them look it over. Within a half hour, they could tell you if it has been in an accident, had any cover ups done to it mechanically, etc. If the seller is confident in his product, he shouldn't have any issue with this.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMaverick
Another thing you can do. If you don't trust yourself enough to check it out. Ask if you can take it to a local garage and have them look it over. Within a half hour, they could tell you if it has been in an accident, had any cover ups done to it mechanically, etc. If the seller is confident in his product, he shouldn't have any issue with this.
A good shop should also have a paint spectrometer (forgot the real name). They can tell you instantly if the car has been repainted, how many times, and sometimes by who (dealer job, body shop, privately).
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The report on my Jeep lists it first as a personal vehicle and then, two years and 25,000 miles later, as a commercial lease vehicle. It's usually the other way around but some dealers lease used vehicles; not usually to the same owner though.

I don't think that I'd be too concerned about the mileage issue as it was within two months of the initial registration. Probably a registry clerk or garage reversed a number or two. As Kyle says Carfax is a good resource but shouldn't be your only source of info. Add what the report says to what your personal or mechanic's exam reveals to get the real story on the Jeep.
Unread 12-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Stuicism
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to worry too much about the carfax and I'll make my decision on the condition of the car / how it drives. What is a good indicator that it has been wheeled a little too much (well not wheeled too much, how about wheeled too much without taking the proper maintenance steps)? Also there is an open recall on the fuel sending unit, if that hasn't been take care of can I get that done free of charge at any jeep dealership or does it have to be the original dealership the car is from? Thanks.
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuicism
Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to worry too much about the carfax and I'll make my decision on the condition of the car / how it drives. What is a good indicator that it has been wheeled a little too much (well not wheeled too much, how about wheeled too much without taking the proper maintenance steps)? Also there is an open recall on the fuel sending unit, if that hasn't been take care of can I get that done free of charge at any jeep dealership or does it have to be the original dealership the car is from? Thanks.
Id be sure to lift up the carpet to see if theres rust or moisture. I thought I had found a nice 99 TJ a couple months ago. But when I went to lift the carpet, it revealed the nastiest musty foul odor, along with exposing some black mold. The radiator and light bezel had splinters of wood stuck in it too. Grille looked either repainted or new.

I say that thing hit a tree and was submerged. I just walked away.
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What is a good indicator that it has been wheeled a little too much (well not wheeled too much, how about wheeled too much without taking the proper maintenance steps)?
Get underneath the Jeep and look for scratches and dents, particularly the oil pan, diffs, and any other vulnerable parts. You can also straight up ask them. Has this been off-roaded, but if you want to be alittle trickier you can say "So how does this thing handle off-road?" Where some guys will know you're concerned if you phrase it the first way, if you phrase it the second way, they might be like "Oh man its awesome, I've had this thing through 4ft of water, buried in mud and over crazy rocks at 20mphs!" Or something along those lines to which you can say "hmm, well, have a nice day" and walk away.

Like I said though, a stop in to a mechanic and a $70 or so check might be worth it in the long run.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
Unread 12-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
Stuicism
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately the guy told me today that he sold the jeep 2 days ago. Now back to the market I go...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.