93 Wrangler Sanity Check... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 93 Wrangler Sanity Check...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
sithlord
1998 ZJ 

93 Wrangler Sanity Check...

I'm looking for a Jeep that's pretty inexpensive, and this one seems to fit the bill. Asking price is $3500 and I believe the college kid is motivated to sell it so I think I can get it for less than that. I just need a vehicle to drive 4 - 5 times per month, and I want something to drag behind my RV for camping trips. I know that the 6 cyl is better, but I don't think that's an option for my budget. I also know that the frame tends to rust out on these where the leaf springs attach, so I'm going to check that out very carefully. Assuming the frame is good, what other things am I likely to run into that will need attention/repair on this? What questions should I be asking? The Jeep is a couple of hours away from where I am, so I asked if the seller would be willing to swing it into his local mechanic and have them give it a quick look to see if there are any problems coming up, but I don't know if he will go for it.

I appreciate any advise you guys can throw at me. Thanks!

I also have some pics I could post.

Kris

PS This will be my first jeep, and I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do anything major. I might do some tweaks, but I'm not going to put a lift kit on it or anything like that.

Here is the info on the Jeep:

1993 red Jeep Wrangler. 4 cylinder, 5 speed. Never pops out of gear. 4x4 works like new and can kick in while driving. GREAT IN THE SNOW OR MUD. 144,000 miles. About 110,000 on its Jasper engine. Weather proofed inside and out. New clutch, new electrical, CD player, so many new things that I can't remember them all. Unfortunately, the receipts are at home and I am at school. I've put about $2000 into it since I bought it 2 years ago. It runs great. Some body damage (dented in the back right corner and the front fender is dented)but it does not affect the driving performance. Can easily be fixed. A few tears in the black soft top. Some rust spots just on the surface no bigger than 2 inches across.
Completely stock but an excellent off-road vehicle. Great jeep to modify. Great for driving to school and cruising around town with the top down.
I would not be selling but I bought a motorcycle so I don't need a convertible.

Last edited by sithlord; 05-06-2008 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Clarify the description of the Jeep
sithlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That is inexpensive? I paid $3500 for my 99 4 banger with 128400 miles Pictures would help but the price seems high

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
sithlord
1998 ZJ 

Price...

I can say that I haven't found much of anything in the sub $4k range. If this jeep is over-priced, then some of them are ridiculous. I don't suppose you want to sell your 99?

K
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Mr.Alllthat
2004 WJ 

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/car/656152215.html
thats the ad he is referencing. I don't think it looks that great. I found a cj with a fiberglass tub i'd rather have.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/car/660611372.html

thats just my opinion though. Good luck

My Cardomain
Mr.Alllthat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
sithlord
1998 ZJ 

Location, Location, Location...

I'm sitting in Bloomington, Indiana. I've been looking all over the state and in neighboring states as well. What I'd really like is a 96 or 97, but I just didn't think that was going to happen for the money I've got. Most are listed in the $6k range.

Thanks for the input.

Kris
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
sithlord
1998 ZJ 

79 Cj

Um, did you see the list of stuff that needs to be done on that thing? That is NOT for me.

K
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
sithlord
1998 ZJ 

Keep on Keepin On

So I've decided to keep on looking and see if I can find a 97 that fits into my budget. Thanks for the input.

Kris
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That is the way to go. Do not rush I drove 10 jeeps before i bought mine and it was like 2 months!

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550786
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
yzman720

yjs hold thier value really well in the 3-5 range but add just a little to it and get a tj!
yzman720 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.