'92 Wrangler YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > '92 Wrangler YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
SR2K

'92 Wrangler YJ

Hello All,
First off, I'm new here, so hello to everyone!

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a Jeep to replace my dying '94 Camry, its been in the shop 3 times in the past week. Plus 4WD would be nice in upstate NY.

Heres the one I'm looking at:
1992 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyl 5 speed, hardtop, full & half doors

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? What should I offer in terms of price? Is it even worth buying or is it going to be an unreliable money pit?

Thanks!

SR2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
SR2K

I know bumping is probably frowned upon but I really need some advice on this and the thread is getting pretty far down the page.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

stay away from 4 cyinders
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
sherwoodiv
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 6 cylinder with 33s and in 5th gear is worthless on a hill or windy day.

Its a bit steep for a 4 cylinder. It would be a pretty good deal of a 6 compared to my local prices. Check for rust on the frame.

Personally I wouldn't replace my camry with an older Jeep as a DD. You are gonna be working on it a lot, either it's going to be broken, something you want to make better, or something you want to add to it. Unless you don't like to tinker with cars.

Jeeps are pretty reliable, but its still going to be an 18 year old vehicle and need work some day.

[URL="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:jeepforum.com%20yj%20[insert%20problem%20here]"]The YJ Problem Solver[/URL] - JeepForum.com membership is less than a Haynes Manual and has more pictures.
sherwoodiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
SR2K

I dont mind doing some work on it. I dont know a whole lot about cars but I'm willing to learn and I'm generally pretty good with my hands.

So you think the asking price is a bit high? What would you suggest offering/looking to spend?

I wouldnt have a problem with putting some smaller tires on it. I'm not planning on going off roading really but I'm a volunteer fire fighter and a vehicle that can be used for scene lighting (I'm thinking of putting a light bar on it) and can move through a corn field without a problem would probably be good. Also, dealing with snow covered roads better than a camry would be plus.
Unread 12-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
sherwoodiv
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just trying to give you an idea that this might not be a good daily driver, but you won't be wasting your money.

I dunno if its too high. Its a craigslist ad. I don't live in NY. I have't seen it underneath or ran it. Prices are kind of local. Around Maryland people seem to think their jeeps are made of gold. To find a 6 cylinder one advertised under 4000 without tons or rust or problems is hard. I did see lots of 4 cylinders for 2000-3000. Look for rust especially by the rear shackles and front steering pump mount on the drivers side of the frame. Frame rust is the biggest issue you will have.

You'll probably live with the tires just fine. You didn't really describe your expectations or primary use. Just don't expect it to be quick at highway speeds, get good mileage or anything.

[URL="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:jeepforum.com%20yj%20[insert%20problem%20here]"]The YJ Problem Solver[/URL] - JeepForum.com membership is less than a Haynes Manual and has more pictures.
Unread 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
SR2K

If I came off a bit brusk, my apologies.

My main use will be driving into and out of town (~20 mins at 55), with lots of hills. Other than that though, I dont do a whole lot of driving. Whenever I go on a longer trip we'll take the Jetta, so gas milage isnt a big factor.

Really the only times I'll be driving it will be going into and around town and driving to calls.

So you would suggest keeping an eye on the market for a bit and look to see if a cheaper one comes up?
Unread 12-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
sherwoodiv
1991 YJ Wrangler 

meh its the internet.

Its hard to give advice if you dont know what someone wants.

If you have a Jetta, and this is going to be for driving around and calls I'd say its good for it. The 4 cylinder will suck on hills, test drive it see what you thing. If it were me and I could like with a 4banger 2500 is an ok price if everything checks out. Check it out either way, it will give you good experience at looking at jeeps even if you dont get it.

Check for rust. Then check again for more rust.

Unread 12-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Jeep_Guru
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If there are alot of hills, avoid the 4cyl. Once you drive one you will understand. If you have never owned a Jeep before, and are looking for a daily driver, I would recommend a Cherokee (XJ). The Wranglers are great, but you have to love Jeeps and their "quirks" to really enjoy one as a daily driver.

As to the Jeep in the ad, I would look the frame and floor pans over closely for rust damage. Depending upon condition, that Jeep would fall in the $1,800 - $2,800 price range.

1979 SJ - 360 - auto
Rust covered beast
Jeep_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
SR2K

I've used an uncle's wrangler on vacation for the past couple years and love it, what quirks are you referring to?

I dont know about a Cherokee, it just doesn't seem like a Jeep to me with a roof, a/c, and normal car stuff. I'm not looking for an SUV, I'm looking for a UV.

Plus driving around with no roof or doors on a summer day seems like a much better alternative than a/c.
Unread 12-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would think $2500 is fair for that jeep. I would search around for a 6c but theres tons of 4cs out there and they all do their job. My jeep is a daily driver and while its a gas guzzler it does its job well. I had an 01 mustang convertible before this jeep and tbh it was alot more work.
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
SR2K

What do you all have to think of this one?
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/2137443790.html
'88 sahara, 135k, $1250, "some problems"

Worth buying?
Unread 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post
What do you all have to think of this one?
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/2137443790.html
'88 sahara, 135k, $1250, "some problems"

Worth buying?
I would haggle him down to 1100 and grab that, could be a good DD/Fixer Upper. All you need is a working vehicle with a working heater.

As long as the rust problems arnt to bad and the "things it needs" arnt a new suspension or other vital item I say get it.
Unread 12-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

1250 you begin to wonder if there a frame under there, but 1250 make a good parts vehicle. i would serious think about it
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

I wouldn't recommend the first rig for more than half what they are asking for it. Way too much money. As for the second, try and get a YJ that is a '92 or newer so you get fuel injection. Don't waste your time or money on a carb'd YJ.

Recommendation would be a 6cyl, '92 or newer with a hardtop/hard doors. Mileage won't matter but maintenance and rust will matter a LOT.

BTW, you should be able to find a clean '97 TJ for 5k or less. That would be a MUCH better choice for you.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.