'91-'94 Renegade - Checklist when Purchasing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > '91-'94 Renegade - Checklist when Purchasing?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Abercrombie

'91-'94 Renegade - Checklist when Purchasing?

I've owned two TJs ('04 Sahara and '02 Sport) and a CJ ('83 CJ-7 Renegade). The latter was the last I owned and that was 3-4 years ago. I miss driving a Jeep and will be selling my little work car to purchase one. My budget will only allow me around $4k-$5k tops when that is sold. I don't have the time, funds, or knowledge to own and fix a CJ right now and I don't want a 4-banger TJ. I've always been a fan of the Saharas and Renegades. However, I don't care for the YJ Sahara colors and I've honestly just always wanted a Renegade YJ so that's what I'm looking for.

My question is do you guys use any type of checklist or overall method of determining if a YJ is worth purchasing and has any issues? I know many vehicles have their own problem spots, for example rusting quarter panels, floor panels, tailgates, etc, and since I've never owned or know much about YJs, I'm hoping you guys can tell me the major things to check.

My dad is normally my car guy that I rely on to help me when purchasing a vehicle but I'd like to learn so I can do this on my own. He also isn't really a Jeep guy so it would be best if I have a clear vision on what I'm searching for. I can, of course, catch the obvious things but what are the major things you check when looking at a YJ?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are certainly on the right track. As with all Jeeps, rust is the main concern. Certainly not the only one, but probably the most expensive to repair. First, find a rust free unit. Try and stay away from YJ's with carbs. The fuel injection models are more to be desired. Try and stay away from highly modified models. Not that there is anything wrong with modifications, but you usually would not have any way to check on the expertise of the modifier.

Good Luck.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Abercrombie

Thank You for your input. Yeah, I've had several Jeeps and a '73 Bronco so I learned pretty quickly that rust is usually the #1 enemy on off road vehicles. I purchased the CJ7 and Bronco thinking I could fix them up but the costs of fixing the rust issues was unreal.

I also agree on the mods. The '04 Sahara had a 4" lift with 33" tires and it was not done properly at all. I'm honestly just looking for a stock one since it will be mostly used as a DD and not an offroad vehicle.

Do the fuel injected models have any indication just by checking the specs? Both carb engines I had were a PITA so I'd rather stay away. I see the YJ came in a 4.2 and 4.0 I6, however, all of the Renegades are 4.0's. Since they were somewhat "luxury" models, I'm hoping they all have fuel injection?

Thanks!
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Abercrombie

I just found this on wiki:

"The YJ used a 2.5 L AMC 150 I4 or optional 4.2 L AMC 258 I6 until 1991. That year, a fuel-injected 180 hp (134 kW) 4.0 L AMC 242 variant replaced the 112 hp (84 kW) 4.2 L 258 CID straight-6. The NP207 transfer case was used only for 1987 and replaced by the NP231."

If that is the case, then all 4.0L's should be fuel injected and all Renegades as well, correct?
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 2.5 became fuel injected in 1989. Not sure about the 4.2. However I believe that the 4.0 has always been injected. Your source says they began as 1991 models, but I am not sure about that.
Getting a rust free completely stock model would be the best way to go. If you can't find any salt free units where you live (which is hard but not impossible), shop the south or southwest. Taking time when buying saves money AND time when repair/restoration begins.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by WDNewman; 10-21-2013 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: clarification
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Abercrombie

It just said that Jeep started using the 4.0 in 1991 in replacement of the 4.2. The 4.0 was around before that but supposedly in '91, it became the I6 used in all models and I believe all of them came fuel injected, which is excellent.

I found one black Renegade about 3 hours from me. The guy sold it the day before I called him. I'd say I'll end up having to find one further away because that was the only one I've seen in 3-4 weeks of searching. Rust is always a huge issue in VA, too, because we normally have rough winters and the salt from the roads does a number on the vehicles. Hopefully, I can at least find something as close as the Carolinas or Georgia. I'll check a bit to the north, as well, but usually every older model vehicle I've seen from PA, OH, etc. is in rough shape.
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Abercrombie

Still searching......

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.