87 Grand Wagoneer w/Diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 87 Grand Wagoneer w/Diesel

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 11-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
HoosierHawk
1998 TJ Wrangler 

87 Grand Wagoneer w/Diesel

I currently own a 1998 Wrangler with a soft top and an upcoming move to Milwaukee Wisconsin has me debating a new vehicle. Not only because of the cold weather but also because my wife and I are looking to start a family soon. Ive been looking into a new Wrangler Unlimited but the $30,000 price tag is kind of an deterrent. I love the look of the older Wagoneers and Cherokee Chiefs and recently saw a 87 Grand Wagoneer with a j code military diesel engine swap along with a new high torque starter, fuel pump, brake lines, transmission mount, and an xj Cherokee floor shift console and Hurst shifter.

Would this be a good daily driver during the winters of WI? The current owner claims 25mpg, does this seem accurate? My wife is leery of buying this old of a vehicle because of the money pit potential. The Jeep is listed at $5500, would this be a good buy?

HoosierHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Of course the co claims 25mpg, they are trying to sell it. I would doubt that figure.

For use in WI winters? I would hope it has a block heater. Personally, I am not a big fan of that 6.2 diesel, but to each there own.

I would be very wary of the thing, particularly as a DD.
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have an '89 Wrangler that I dearly love, but as a daily driver hauling wife and kids? Would I buy ANY vehicle that has been highly modified by some guy with unknown capabilities?

No.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Jeeper84
1979 CJ5 

The winter isn't all that bad out here. I'll be running a CJ5 this winter. If you decide to go with the grand wagoner, let me know. I could use a wrenching buddy. As far as your TJ, my girlfriend would be delighted to trade her 96 RL for it!
Jeeper84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.