87 cj7 need an opinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 87 cj7 need an opinion

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
minni14

85 cj7 need an opinion

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and to Jeep as well. I have been looking for a wrangler/cj for sometime now and I found one on CL i am interested in. I wanted to get some opinions from the experts as to what you think of it before i jump in.

here is the posting http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/2542557739.html

A little more info I have from the guy and from looking at it in person. The frame is solid, that is unusual given the snow and salt here. There are a few rust spots under both the doors, but not through the body. It more or less looks like cottage cheese under the paint. The Jeep has never been repainted. The CJ7 plaque has some crunchy rust under it. The wheel spin lock things are missing covers on 2/4 wheels. There are three small star cracks in the windshield. There is almost no rust under the carpet on either side. The odometer died at 139k and has been driven ~10-15k past the time it died. It needs an alignment, the radiator is green with oxidation (original) the tires are in okay shape but likely need to be replaced soon. Everything looks straight level and attached where it should be. The front bumper bar headlights are cracked and zip tied on but they are aftermarket I think. Runs good and drives great acording to my buddy (canít drive stick yet). It was just inspected three weeks ago. It smells a little like a cooler that you left in the sun for a week with out draining.

So whats your thoughts? Is it worth the asking price 4800? Any advice on other stuff to check?

thanks much!
mike

Last edited by minni14; 08-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: spelling and I messed up the title
minni14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

did they even make a 87 cj, I honest thought 86 was the last year and then yz took over
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
minni14

Ahh darn I messed that up. it's an 85. I have looked at sooo many Jeeps this week. Is there anyway to edit a title :-/
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
cjfarmer
1982 CJ7 

The wheel spin lock things are locking hubs. They will only be on the front 2 wheels. I would say its on the high side of what its worth.
cjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to be the one who says this but,

Its not worth that much. maybe, $3000 just because it needs a good amount of work. Ive found some that look about as good as shape as that with less work needed for about a grand cheaper. but that is here in NC. Just keep looking if he doesnt go down a good bit. The right one will come.

A good tip is find one that has been on for a long time, or sombody who is hurtin for money

Oh yeah, if it has carpet, BE SURE TO PICK IT UP AND LOOK UNDER!!! if there is carpet, there is likely small rust, vut that just means another thing to help negotiate on the price.

I have some questions:
What will its purpose be?
How mechanicly inclined are you?
and how much work are you willing to do?

But personally i would rather get a wrangler because:

Stronger fully boxed frames
Galvanized tub
91 and up had Fuel Injection (ALOT more power and better reliability)
Wider Leaf Springs (Better handling)
92 and up had family style roll bar

But dont get a wrangler with:
4 Cylinder
made before 1991
A cracked anything (frame, block, windsheild, ect.)

So i would look for a YJ

Hope this kinda helps.
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here a few i found:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/2532140670.html

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/2452010537.html

So, i suggest to keep looking unless price goes down on the CJ7
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

both of those are good deals, I like the yellow one. on a cj if it has carpet or mat then it has a lot of rust, new floor board time. That is so common, carpet, floor boards, around the seat belt and then it will migrate to the outer kick panel and real kick panel. water has no where to go so it just sits and rots
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
minni14

Thanks for the help everyone.

In reply to above, I am not mechanically inclined. I might be able to change a tire if pressed, and I have refilled the wiper fluid in my car I have now. That's about it. I am willing to spend time on anything I would have the capability to do, but that capability is limited. The car is going to be a second car, mostly for driving around in the summer/mild off road and in the winter if the weather is crazy bad. We get 2-4 feet of snow in a night sometimes, and my Subaru doesn't always get over that.

Under the carpet there is a bit of rust, nothing penetrating the floor though. quite minimal.

I looked at the red one you guys posted. the frame is all messed up and cracked.

The issue here is we dump 20 tons of salt on the road a year to deal with the snow/ice, any jeep that grew up here seems to have some serious rot issues on the frame in the back.

I talked to the guy with the cj7 and He wont go less than 4k... at that price, take it or walk away and keep looking?

I didn't look at the yellow one yet, I am not opposed to checking it out though I am rather fond of the instrument panel on the cj7.

Any other thoughts? I have to get back to the CJ guy today, all in or fold?
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
cjfarmer
1982 CJ7 

I would probably skip it. Cbs require alot of work.

Sent from my DROID X2 using JeepForum
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Since you are not mechanicly inclined, i say skip and try to find one with no or little problems

But like i said, YJs are galvanized s they hold up to rust ALOT better, just be sure to get a 91 or newer with fuel injection. Since there is alot of salt, it would be your better option.

Also, the yellow one (TJ) has coil suspension (Better ride and flex) and since they are newer so less problems, and more rust protection, better aftermarket support, and to lift it all you need is spacers.
so you actually may wanna check it out

Just my $0.02 cents
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
minni14

Thanks all, I turned down the CJ7 and the yellow jeep looks to be off the market. The advert got removed by the user a little bit ago :/

I guess the hunt continues, but thanks for the advice everyone.
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
cjfarmer
1982 CJ7 

It may take awhile to find the perfect one, but be patient and you will find it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using JeepForum

Tags
cj7 , help needed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.