87 cj-7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 87 cj-7

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 03-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Eddiechip

87 cj-7

Looking at an 86 CJ7 as a project, it runs and a mechanic friend of my drove it and said it's pretty good...figure my son and I could work on it together. My only fear is the upgrading snowball which I'm sure I would succumb to. The wife isn't happy but I've always wanted a CJ. I know it has the inline 6 in it....are those engines "bulletproof" ?

Thanks

Edit

Stupid iphone keyboard....I meant to type 86 in the title but hit the 7 before I noticed

Eddiechip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Frankly since you asked, the CJ's are well known money pits that require pretty much constant tinkering to keep running. Parts are getting scarce and expensive. They have carbs that cause lots of problems. Their gas mileage is poor, their performance in stock form could best be described as agricultural. To find out more, do some research here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/...t-here-523324/

Then get back with us with more detailed questions.
Unread 04-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
rreilly10
1981 CJ7 

I love my cj! It's my daily driver and it's true you will need to tinker and work on it quite a bit but the 4.2 l6 is a great engine. Very simple and has pretty good torque. If it has a sr4 trans that should be the first thing you swap. Also look into a different carb. The stock carter is not that bad but is kinda over engineered with the thermostat style choke. I have issues with that quite a bit. Also Try and find a cj with a Dana 44 rear instead of the amc 20. The 20 has 2 piece axles that have issues. I would say a cj is the best project jeep to restore. It would be a great build with your son. I had a lot of fun building mine with my dad!
rreilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
DuckRyan
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have a 84 cj7 and I love it. It was a father son semi build. It's my daily driver . If built properly won't cause too many issues or problems. The carb is the main issue on Cj's and early YJ's when it comes to the engine. They always tend to fail. If you end up getting it I recommend putting a fuel injection in it or if you live in the Southern California area there's a place in Laguna called "Jeeps R Us" that fixes all carburetor issues and seems to last. My buddy has a cj8 and a rebuilt carburetor from them and he's going on 10 years with it I believe and it has no issues and no signs of issues at all. Since it's a father son project I think a Cj would be a great purchase. They are really easy to work on, a lot easier than the 2000 models imo. And most aftermarket parts are cheaper than the Tj's and JK's parts.
DuckRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

I see the dana 44 rear has already been mentioned but another weak point is the T5 5 speed. Avoid it, prone to breakage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.