84 CJ7 - Would you do it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 84 CJ7 - Would you do it?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
LabH20

84 CJ7 - Would you do it?

84 CJ7

Paint looks good
Cosmetics look good
Interior looks clean
Looks like a small (2.5-3" suspension lift or body lift) with slightly larger tires

The rust was fixed and Jeep was painted 5 years ago.

258 I6 Engine with 177k miles - no rebuild and LOOKS like Carter Carb.
Trans is a 4 speed so I'm assuming is a stock borg warner t4, which also means it most likely has the AMC 20 also. (New to old jeeps, learning, correct me if I'm wrong).

He has it listed for $8k. Its a nice looking CJ, better than others i've looked at and NADA lists it around $7300. BUT I think he is high. What do you think? Offer him $5500 if indeed it is rust free after i crawl underneath and look for leaks etc? Don't want to offend him..

I am new to Jeeps but have gotten bit hard, really like the look of mid 80s CJ7s, so if my assumptions on mechanical components is wrong, thats why.

LabH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Adam013085

Check for rust rust and more rust. Post some pics and we can help pricewise. The best thing I can say is compare it to others in your area. I'd pay a bit more for a rust free Jeep. Also something to think about is whether you can work on it yourself? If not, then I would discourage you from ANY CJ because they are going to need more work than a newer Jeep. Good luck keep us posted on what you do.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
LabH20

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/he...deshow/84%20CJ

I think this link will work for some photos.

I do realize all mechanical things made by humans wear out and break down, unfortunately. That being said I've never had to swap out a rear end or rebuild a tranny, yet. But if I can get it for a decent price I would be willing to take the risk and when those mechanical components wear out I'm not under water at the start. That's my theory at least.

So what is she worth?
Unread 04-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The term "rust was fixed" bothers me. You can't fix rust, only replace the metal or paint it over. Underneath it is still rust and is eating away. The engine compartment looks a dirty wreck. Not much pride of ownership showing. Is there a top?

This is certainly NOT worth $8k.

Oh yeah; don't worry about "offending" a seller who is asking nearly double what the vehicle is worth.

I would step up to a YJ with fuel injection. Same size, feel, look of the CJ, but a lot less expensive to work on.
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Dolf
1986 CJ7 

The transmission could be a T-176 medium-duty four speed. A quick way to tell is the lighter-duty T-4 shifters are generally “S” shaped with the boot of the transmission right next to the transfer case shifter. A T-176 shifter will have a bend near the floor and then it will be straight to the shifter knob. The boot will be set back a few inches from the transfer case shifter. A quick place to check for rot is in the front of the rear wheel wells right by the body mount and where the roll bar bolts in. With 177K I wouldn’t think that the guy should be offended with the lower offer. I would debate the part about "a lot less expensive to work on."
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
Adam013085

It looks like a decent CJ on the outside. If it does not have a top I'd knock $ off the price too. If you are willing to learn and tackle repairing a vehicle then there is no problem owning a CJ. Just carefully inspect for rust everywhere. Also keep in mind most people on this forum will tell you almost any CJ is overpriced (most are), but if its clean and rust free it comes down to what you want to pay for it. There will always be a better deal out there somewhere.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

I say on the high side $3200 but in reality $2600-2800
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
LabH20

Thanks for the opinions.

Supposed to take a look at it this week and will report back.
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks ok from the pics: Really have to get under it and check the frame and all. Like the above poster said: How was that "rust fixed"? The rust on my 98 Sahara needed to be "fixed"...would have cost me 2600$!!! Ended up selling because of it. Don't even *think* about, or "worry" about offending this guy! Stay detached and unemotional, decide what the MAX is that you are willing to pay, and get a dialog going. Look at it real close and take a small notepad with you when you go. Write down, make notes of each item you notice that needs attention and an approx cost for that attention. Be objective, as if someone else is asking you to inspect it for *them* and not yourself. When your done inspecting, tally the cost of the items that need attention/fixing and make an offer. If he get's pissed or gives you a hassle: the decision is made for you. Walk away. There are too many other nice CJ's out there to get attached to, or upset about, this one. From the pics, I would be looking in the neighborhood of 5-6K IF the rest of the Jeep checks out. Frame rust is a big one for me...Check it WELL! Surface rust, rust through, rust *inside* the box frame. Take a screwdriver with you and start poking. Weak looking sections get a good whack with a small hammer or mallet. Put your fingers inside the holes in the frame and feel around: bubbles, rust chunks, scaling...most of the frame rust comes from inside out. Look close if the frame is painted: you can hide a myriad of problems with a good coat of paint or bedliner...check the floor pans too, as well as where the rollbar is attached to the tub. I think you will find some unsettling issues if you look close enough...let us know how it goes. Good luck!

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.