71 cj5 - Is it worth it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 71 cj5 - Is it worth it?

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #16
COVETLESS
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I test drove several years ago and ended up getting a TJ just because at the time I needed something reliable because I was commuting to work everyday. I am now working from home full time as a graphic artist and I also have the TJ so downtime shouldn't be an issue. I also recently checked out a 58 willys which had been modified and the current owner didn't know much about. Needless to say I passed on that one. When I heard about this one, I figured it would be worth a shot if the price is right as a project!

only in a jeep cj
What you have is more along the lines of what I would be doing. Mainly driving around town and the occasional mild off road trip. I'm very comfortable with maintenance work and enjoy learning and working on jeeps. I think owning an older cj would be both fun and a great learning experience as well. The main thing I am worried about, if everything is as it has been described to me, is that it still has the manual steering and brakes. How big of a project is updating the steering and brakes? Is that something I can learn/tackle on my own?

Whiskeywiz I am supposed to be checking it out this weekend in person so I will have a better idea of what I am dealing with. Thanks again for all your input!

COVETLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COVETLESS View Post
I test drove several years ago and ended up getting a TJ just because at the time I needed something reliable because I was commuting to work everyday. I am now working from home full time as a graphic artist and I also have the TJ so downtime shouldn't be an issue. I also recently checked out a 58 willys which had been modified and the current owner didn't know much about. Needless to say I passed on that one. When I heard about this one, I figured it would be worth a shot if the price is right as a project!

only in a jeep cj
What you have is more along the lines of what I would be doing. Mainly driving around town and the occasional mild off road trip. I'm very comfortable with maintenance work and enjoy learning and working on jeeps. I think owning an older cj would be both fun and a great learning experience as well. The main thing I am worried about, if everything is as it has been described to me, is that it still has the manual steering and brakes. How big of a project is updating the steering and brakes? Is that something I can learn/tackle on my own?

Whiskeywiz I am supposed to be checking it out this weekend in person so I will have a better idea of what I am dealing with. Thanks again for all your input!
I'm dying with anticipation. Get over there and check er out!

Jeeps are super easy to work on but the foundation needs to be solid first. What that means is, any rot... walk away. Check out my Rotted Tub Replacement thread. I've gathered thus far that you don't want to get into anything like what I'm doing. My seatbelt mounts were rotted thru. Roll cage mounts rotted thru. Scrape away any oil or dirt underneath and see what its hiding. Parts are parts, they come off when you take off the nuts and bolts. Rot.... not so easy!
Nothing else nearby to take a look at in the meantime?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using JeepForum
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Pepper45
1967 CJ5 

I bought a '67 CJ5 a couple months ago, and I couldn't be happier. That being said, I have been turning wrenches on my own vehicles since before I could legally drive, and minor repairs don't scare me. I bought mine, almost completely rust free, complete with aftermarket hard top, PTO winch, overdrive, running and driving, for $3k. I knew what I was getting into, and have had a blast getting her to be as reliable as she is now. She's my baby, and will be with me long term. My wife is picking up a YJ soon, and while they're similar, they're also worlds apart. The YJ is going to be a fun DD, and an occasional backwoods driver. The CJ is a dedicated woods wanderer, and summertime fun machine with the top off.

Don't try to make the CJ something it's not, know that it's going to be a rough and ready trail machine, and that's about it. Know that your creature comforts are going to be what you bolt into it, but the huge advantage is that they're dead simple to work on, and you can accomplish just about any task on the thing by yourself (unless you have to pull motor/trans/transfer case). I'll echo what others have said, $2500 sounds a little steep for what you're getting, at least around here. For that money, you could get something at least complete, running and driving, without huge rust issues.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #19
COVETLESS
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well I went and checked out the CJ5... I was told minimal to no rust and that there it ran great and had just received a new starter. When my buddy and I showed up, I knew we were in for trouble when the battery charger was connected...

The battery was dead, the starter wasn't even installed correctly and that was just the beginning of the issues. Even if it had started, the gas pedal had fallen off and the gauges were shot. The frame was a little rusty but that wasn't the worst rust... the inside had been bedlinered to cover up tons of rust in the floorboard. From underneath, it looked as though you could just punch a hole up through the floorboard. The tires were dry rotted, shocks completely rusted out and the transfer case was rusted beyond saving...

Needless to say, I told the lady it was a bigger project than I wanted to tackle and walked away a bit frustrated and disappointed. I wish she hadn't lied about the rust and she could have at least let me know it wouldn't start.

I am not the proud new owner of a cj5, but that won't deter me from looking in the future. I'll probably wait to continue my search until I have a little more money to sink into the project but one day, when I find the right one, I will definitely get myself a CJ!

Thanks again for all the help and advice everyone!
COVETLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #20
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm glad to hear that you are not the owner of a POS. Welcome to the Jeep shopping life. It is a short life, but can be a very trying and aggravating one.

Jeeps seem to be the most hacked together vehicle out there in the for sale column. Keep building that inventory, you will find the right one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using JeepForum
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #21
Georgia_lilwolf
1980 CJ5 

I have to agree, just keep looking. I have been wanting a cj for awhile now and pretty much settled on a yj and was going to just change it the way I wanted it slowly. then one day I stumbled across an ad for an 80 cj5 that they wanted only 1500 for. I went it looked at it and it was a 4 spd with a sbc already in it. It had its issues but nothing that wasn't workable since it was going to be a project. If your not in a big hurry just keep looking and you will find what your looking for. good luck in your search.
Georgia_lilwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #22
gman99x
1976 CJ5 

I live in the midwest where our old CJ jeeps are usually pretty rusty, but I recently bought a 79 CJ5 in kentucky. spent 2500 and got a rust free jeep with a 304, standard t150 and 3.54 gears (and with a windshield).
keep looking, you'll find the right jeep at the right price.
gman99x is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.