5 speed vs 6 speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 5 speed vs 6 speed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Tgregg09

5 speed vs 6 speed

I am looking at buying my first jeep, I love being behind the wheel of 'em! I noticed the 05s and on have a manual 6 speed trannys and the older ones have manual 5 speeds. Besides the obvious fact of the extra gear what are the pros and cons of the two? Does the 6sp get beet mpg? Does it reduce engine noise? I live about 20min from class which would be better to get

Tgregg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't make any difference at all, the 6spd has a lower fist gear, that's about it.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Tgregg09

Ok thanks!
Tgregg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

look here, scroll down for manuals, note years and engine size notes.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...1/#post4118380

there really is not that much difference. not enough to be a deciding factor on a purchase for me.
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Doesn't make any difference at all, the 6spd has a lower fist gear, that's about it.
There's a few differences. First is lower and overdrive is a little lower, and obviously one extra gear in between. NSG370 was borrowed from Daimler to replace the New Venture (New Process, whatever) unit. NSG is about 10 pounds lighter.

My opinion is that in normal everyday driving the extra gear is annoying, but having the lower gears and more selection is nice to have when you want it.

Strength-wise, both are similar.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.