'47 Willys CJ2A-Reasonable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > '47 Willys CJ2A-Reasonable?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 12-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
howmany
1977 DJ 

'47 Willys CJ2A-Reasonable?

Hello all, I have been looking around for an old Willys Flatfender for a while now. I am not very educated on them as far as what years had what engines, etc. and I couldn't tell original items from un-original at the moment. I found one on Craigslist that "Looks" to be an excellent shape. What do ya'll think? What would you pay for it?

From the listing...

This one is not a project. It has been taken all the way down to the frame. Perfect for the deer lease, country roads or car show. It has all the proper lights and equipment to get a state inspection and use daily. The following has been restored
-new paint frame and all.
-lined inside cab, hood and underbody
-motor rebuilt
- new gauges inside
-new soft top and door
-new tires including spare
- it also has the heater option inside
$5950 obo

image.jpg

howmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
howmany
1977 DJ 

Pics
image.jpg  
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
howmany
1977 DJ 

Front
image.jpg  
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

if i had the money, i would do it in a heart beat.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
howmany
1977 DJ 

I have the money...The problem is.... I'm 19. I have worked very hard to get to a point where I am making the money. But once again, I am 19. And am caught between being responsible, and continue to save my money, or buying another Jeep on top of My Current Dj-5F I'm almost done with! So if it is one to not pass up, I need to know! It will be enjoyed for years to come. But I know another will possibly show again in the future. It's tough.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

can't help with rarity, but thing looks awesome. i am a sucker for old jeeps.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What are you going to do with it? If you actually want to use it, what are you going to use it for? You already have a DJ-5 which can be a money-pit all on its own, so why do you want to add a high maintenance unit that will more than likely spend as much time being worked on as driven? You admit that you "are not very" educated on old CJ's. Instead of buying this, you need to spend some effort finding out all you can about the CJ line. A good place to start would be:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/

and after reading that, google CJ2 and see what other information you can come up with. A person who knows what he is doing is much less likely to be cheated than one who just jumps into a purchase on a whim. One who becomes an expert is impossible to cheat, and knows the worth of what he is buying.

Save your money. Your desires will change with time. Maturity takes some effort.

Good luck
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
howmany
1977 DJ 

What I plan on doing with it; Driving it quite often around town. As for the DJ, I'm in Love with it, and it is almost done. I have done all, and everything on it one my own. So I haven't drained substantial amounts of money in it by any means. It will be my daily driver, and my Acura will sit under the carport...Can't wait to drive her. I agree with you 100% on needing to learn more before purchasing. I do have quite a bit knowledge, and know what to look for now, as compared to when I bought the DJ just from all of the time I have spent refinishing her. As far as Model specific knowledge, I am lacking in the old Willys section. As far as purchasing something to work on as much as you drive it.... Well that's kinda the joy of it! Wouldn't expect anything less from an old Jeep. I have done a lot of thinking, and believe I am going to wait it out, and focus on my beloved DJ for now. I truly appreciate the thoughtful feedback, and words of wisdom. But.... In regards to the original post, would you dish $5950 for the Jeep pictured? Obviously there are a lot of factors, but from what you can see in the pictures, does she look worth the asking price?

Thanks again
Unread 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

well in this year range. it looks good but. l would check the main areas of concern for rust as these years all used wood in the tube under floor, inside the hat channels. as well as the frame for rust. what was done to it. but at 5K it is not a 100 point jeep as well. at least not priced as such. this could be sweet little jeep for running around in. i like it..
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
howmany
1977 DJ 

The guy said is has all been blasted, and than lined. Frame and all. Reason he claims he is selling it is because he is 6'3 285lbs and to big for it. You can see under the hood, and fender welds where it has been lined. I plan on getting an old Willys within at most the next 2 years or so. But will not buy a project, I want one someone has already put the blood and sweat into, of which I can jump into and start driving on day 1...then put the sweat into for maintenance, not restoration. This one seems to be a good median. I can tell from this picture that the back panels under the door are a bit rough, and a V has kind of been cut to accommodate a trailer hitch, or something.And the brake lights, etc don't look by any means original. If I get over to look at it, I'll let ya'll know.
image.jpg  
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

is it worth it, yes and no. I have seen rusted out crap sell for $3500, so the price is not bad, BUT, that vehicle going top out at 45mph and have no room and no power, so no it not practical for driving around town, and $6000 buy you a nice cj or newer jeep that be more practical .

now the cj2 are under power, under brake, under steering, part are hard to get and not cheap

but its not a bad price if you can live with all the non practicals, its high but the vehicle look like its worth it
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
is it worth it, yes and no. I have seen rusted out crap sell for $3500, so the price is not bad, BUT, that vehicle going top out at 45mph and have no room and no power, so no it not practical for driving around town, and $6000 buy you a nice cj or newer jeep that be more practical .

now the cj2 are under power, under brake, under steering, part are hard to get and not cheap

but its not a bad price if you can live with all the non practicals, its high but the vehicle look like its worth it
^^^^

What he said.

Personally it looks like some rot under that paint to me.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Buy this, sell your honda and use that money to get a later model Jeep for everyday use. Best of both worlds!
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My gut tells me from looking at those pics that the fresh paint and rubber coating was probably used to cover up some serious damage / rust.
AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH07 View Post
My gut tells me from looking at those pics that the fresh paint and rubber coating was probably used to cover up some serious damage / rust.
yep.

There is no way the under side of the body is solid if stock. they used wood in the metal and still were coating them with a special coating from WW2 that made them rust out faster than the enemy could find parts for them.....lol. it always collected water and well....I had a 47cj2a once upon a time. Slow you betcha mine would do 50 down hill with the wind at my back. 1969 Vw bugs would "blow my doors off" in a race. Off road stock it ran the Rubicon in 1975 no lockers, no big tires, ah well there was few people too none were in a VW

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.