2014 Diesel GC or . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 2014 Diesel GC or . . .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
GCMatt
2001 WJ 

2014 Diesel GC or . . .

I currently have a 2001 Grand Cherokee that has had plenty of capability for me. With the diesel coming out later this year for the 2014s, I decided to stop by the dealership and check things out. As highly rated as it has been since its redesign, and with as happy as I am with mine, AND all that potential of the diesel, it was kind of impossible to resist.

Everything is electronic now. The dash cluster, gear selector, and 4x4. I do tech stuff for a living, and that makes me a bit nervous. I read about the problems that v6 owners had with the QT2 in the sand, that boiled down to software issues stranding them (I'd get QuadraDrive instead). My current GC has Quadra Drive, and if I want 4Lo, I pull the lever, mechanical things happen, and I have it. Am I off base to worry about that? Between the electronics, the airbags in the suspension and the 1st year of a new motor, I actually left the dealership less excited than I was when I got there. :/

I would like to have it for at least 10 years, so solid and reliable is good. I'd also like to have the confidence that things aren't going to go south unexpectedly on me for software reasons. I maintain my vehicles like crazy and typically put less than 10-12k a year on, so it doesn't seem like 10 years would be TOO hard. But there is SO MUCH to break, and with everything so dependent on the computers in it, little failures seem to have the potential to take the whole thing out. Which is bad if you're an hour into a maze of forest roads.

While I was there, I took a look at Wranglers, too (who cross shops them, right?), and was considering that route. Probably a Sahara, though the discount pricing I got through my employer has a Rubicon just $3k more. That is kind of tempting, but I worry that the extra stuff the Rubicon has might be making tradeoffs that aren't right for how I would use it. Given that a WJ has been enough, a Rubicon is obviously overkill. Any Wrangler, really. I DO like that things seem very mechanical on the Wrangler, and there are certainly less things to break (and they are easy to work on, if my buddy's is any indication), but I'm not in love with the interior, particularly the seats. Though they might grow on me.

I just "use" my WJ for getting to places to hike, camping when I can get away from work, etc. Nothing crazy, though I have friends that would really LIKE me to get something more capable so I could do stuff with them. And I have not even tried to go a couple of places to hike or camp, because I wasn't sure my WJ would make it. That said, there is no shortage of places I haven't been, either, so it isn't holding me back and ruining my life or anything.

With the resale on the Wranglers, it seems like it would be tough to go wrong with getting one while I'm waiting to see how reliable the diesel is. Is that a legit line of thinking? Or should I just pour cold water on my Jeep lust for now and wait for the 2015 Wrangler redesign and to see how the diesel WK2 does? My 2001 is still running fine and I don't NEED one . . . but I kinda want one.

GCMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

2014 GC diesel

Diesel still hasnt been approved for sale in the US. It has been sold in the UK, EU and Australia in the WK2 since at least 2011.

I would test drive a 2014 GC with the diesel before ordering one. It weighs 400lbs more than V6.

Electronics are the wave of the future for vehicles. Adjustable suspensions ie being able to adjust shock rates etc on the fly to predetermined setting or user selected settings will probably be included in the GC in 2016.

Currently in GC selecting the sport setting changes shift points and adjusts hoiw the loud pedal responds. In the snow setting you get softer shifts and the loud pedal reacts for slowly. This is for CGs with slect terrain and the required options.

The Wrangler will get similar options as Chrylser struggles to meet govt mandated gas mileage figures in the future
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
GCMatt
2001 WJ 

I know the electronics are coming. I'm just not certain I want them when I'm out in the woods. I didn't realize that it hadn't finished being approved. I kind of figured that would happen before they started selling them. I guess that explains why they are "late Fall" for delivery though. I resisted putting a deposit on one the other day because of the uncertain date (and the dealer's statement that they were basically going to put a ridiculous mark up on all the diesels for at least the first six months). I like the idea of Diesels, but apparently the crap to make them US emissions compliant can have effects on reliability, etc.

Is a new GC a viable replacement for a WJ? At least as capable over the long term, and reliable? What I've seen has me thinking that might not be the case.
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You are only going to see the diesel in the high end models for now. Limited, Overland and Summit. So be ready for the high $40's to mid $50k range.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
GCMatt
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post
You are only going to see the diesel in the high end models for now. Limited, Overland and Summit. So be ready for the high $40's to mid $50k range.
I was going to go for a Limited with a couple of options. Couldn't see the Overland or Summit to be worth it. Pricing is within my budget, since I've been making car payments to myself for three years. I have a nice down payment.

My main concern is whether or not the new GC would be as capable and reliable as my current WJ is, over the long term. Even at 12 years old and pushing 150k miles, it is still running strong with a minimum of problems.

I'm currently leaning towards a Wrangler, because things seem simpler, and simplicity is pretty much the key to longevity as far as I can tell. But there are enough things I don't like (who designed the back seats? Torture experts? Holy crap they are bad), that the Wrangler isn't quite a slam dunk.
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Jerseymark

It sounds like you answered your own question and you would be better off with a wrangler. (Then again, I could be biased because I have one.) Similar to you, I like the simplicity of the wrangler. It still has more electronics than I would like but every vehicle does. My sister in law has a wk2 and it is a great vehicle and has been reliable. It has a lot of creature comforts that are nice but also a little more to go wrong. So, if those extra features are not important to you get the wrangler. If you like the added luxury get the GC.
Jerseymark is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.