post #1 of Old 04-04-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
chris79
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 284
2012 Trade in

So I'm trading in a 2012 4dr Sport S that I owe 24k on. I'm getting a 2014 4dr Rubi that stickers for just over 39K, I'm getting out the door for 35K. Good deal?

chris79 is offline  
post #2 of Old 04-04-2014, 04:38 PM
DangFoo
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oakland
Posts: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79
So I'm trading in a 2012 4dr Sport S that I owe 24k on. I'm getting a 2014 4dr Rubi that stickers for just over 39K, I'm getting out the door for 35K. Good deal?
That's not enough information to know if you're getting a good deal. The $4K off MSRP for a Rubicon seems fair enough, but dealers can make that margin back on trade-ins. Most dealers default to KBB "good" condition value; even if your trade is like new or excellent.

I'm considering trading two of our Jeeps for a Ford F-150 and the dealer offered $7K off the MSRP, but low-balled on the trade-ins, so I walked. That was a "weak deal" as much as the sales price on the new truck was solid.
DangFoo is offline  
post #3 of Old 04-04-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
chris79
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
That's not enough information to know if you're getting a good deal. The $4K off MSRP for a Rubicon seems fair enough, but dealers can make that margin back on trade-ins. Most dealers default to KBB "good" condition value; even if your trade is like new or excellent.

I'm considering trading two of our Jeeps for a Ford F-150 and the dealer offered $7K off the MSRP, but low-balled on the trade-ins, so I walked. That was a "weak deal" as much as the sales price on the new truck was solid.
My 12 is in good shape, they're giving me the absolute highest value from KBB, which I researched. I haven't found many dealers willing to budge too much on the price of Rubis around here so I took it, so basically I'm getting out the door (including $1300 in taxes) for 35k.
chris79 is offline  
post #4 of Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM
DangFoo
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oakland
Posts: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79

My 12 is in good shape, they're giving me the absolute highest value from KBB, which I researched. I haven't found many dealers willing to budge too much on the price of Rubis around here so I took it, so basically I'm getting out the door (including $1300 in taxes) for 35k.
Got it; then that sounds pretty solid. I'm in Northern California and the dealers here are much closer to MSRP on Rubicons.
DangFoo is offline  
post #5 of Old 04-04-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
chris79
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
Got it; then that sounds pretty solid. I'm in Northern California and the dealers here are much closer to MSRP on Rubicons.
I thought it was decent, not a steal, but decent for around Denver...they fly off the lots around here. I'm just kicking myself for not buying the Rubi back in 12, I convinced myself I didn't need it.....until I did and couldn't get back to the lake I wanted to get to on a camping trip. ARB's your looking at 1500-2k an axle so I thought this was the best route.
chris79 is offline  
post #6 of Old 04-05-2014, 01:58 PM
brownbagg
Registered User
1930 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pearl
Posts: 2,470
no, not a good deal, one, i don't think any car worth 39k and is there15k different in the one you buying against the one you selling
brownbagg is offline  
post #7 of Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
chris79
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no, not a good deal, one, i don't think any car worth 39k and is there15k different in the one you buying against the one you selling
No vehicle is worth what they price them at but thats not the point, the point is that IS what they price them at and people pay close to it for Jeeps. Find me a deal that will give you a Rubi 6-7k under sticker, the demand is too high.
chris79 is offline  
post #8 of Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM
IRSmart
Registered User
2015 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster
Posts: 1,082
remember, it's only a good deal if YOU think it is. if you need validation on whether it's a good deal or not, then there are other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
Most dealers won't use KBB at all
fixed that for you. KBB is the least accurate source for trade info there is, bar none. any dealer that uses KBB as a primary appraisal tool is a fool. now, will they show you the KBB page vs. their trade allowance to justify it? maybe. but it's not what they used to appraise it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no, not a good deal, one, i don't think any car worth 39k and is there15k different in the one you buying against the one you selling
aaaaan the potato van has arrived
IRSmart is offline  
post #9 of Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
WDNewman
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 1,359
"Trading in" ANY vehicle you owe that kind of money on virtually guarantees that you are going to be upside down for several years. Somehow normal people go berserk when they start dealing with vehicles.
Keep what you have. Pay it off. Then if you must, sell it. THEN buy something using the money you get from selling it to put toward another vehicle. Read, study,learn.

Hey guys, there is NO SUCH THING as RPMS. There is NO "S" in RPM.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but not nearly as much as ignorance.
WDNewman is offline  
post #10 of Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Yesfan70
Registered User
 
Yesfan70's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the South Side of the Sky
Posts: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
"Trading in" ANY vehicle you owe that kind of money on virtually guarantees that you are going to be upside down for several years. Somehow normal people go berserk when they start dealing with vehicles.
Keep what you have. Pay it off. Then if you must, sell it. THEN buy something using the money you get from selling it to put toward another vehicle. Read, study,learn.


I agree. I would rather pony up the cash for the lockers than to be that much upside down on a vehicle.

2004 Jeep WJ
2005 Jeep TJ
Only in a Jeep
Yesfan70 is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome