JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Buying Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/)
-   -   2012 Trade in (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/2012-trade-2294385/)

chris79 04-04-2014 04:31 PM

2012 Trade in

So I'm trading in a 2012 4dr Sport S that I owe 24k on. I'm getting a 2014 4dr Rubi that stickers for just over 39K, I'm getting out the door for 35K. Good deal?

DangFoo 04-04-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris79
So I'm trading in a 2012 4dr Sport S that I owe 24k on. I'm getting a 2014 4dr Rubi that stickers for just over 39K, I'm getting out the door for 35K. Good deal?

That's not enough information to know if you're getting a good deal. The $4K off MSRP for a Rubicon seems fair enough, but dealers can make that margin back on trade-ins. Most dealers default to KBB "good" condition value; even if your trade is like new or excellent.

I'm considering trading two of our Jeeps for a Ford F-150 and the dealer offered $7K off the MSRP, but low-balled on the trade-ins, so I walked. That was a "weak deal" as much as the sales price on the new truck was solid.

chris79 04-04-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangFoo (Post 21870545)
That's not enough information to know if you're getting a good deal. The $4K off MSRP for a Rubicon seems fair enough, but dealers can make that margin back on trade-ins. Most dealers default to KBB "good" condition value; even if your trade is like new or excellent.

I'm considering trading two of our Jeeps for a Ford F-150 and the dealer offered $7K off the MSRP, but low-balled on the trade-ins, so I walked. That was a "weak deal" as much as the sales price on the new truck was solid.

My 12 is in good shape, they're giving me the absolute highest value from KBB, which I researched. I haven't found many dealers willing to budge too much on the price of Rubis around here so I took it, so basically I'm getting out the door (including $1300 in taxes) for 35k.

DangFoo 04-04-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris79

My 12 is in good shape, they're giving me the absolute highest value from KBB, which I researched. I haven't found many dealers willing to budge too much on the price of Rubis around here so I took it, so basically I'm getting out the door (including $1300 in taxes) for 35k.

Got it; then that sounds pretty solid. I'm in Northern California and the dealers here are much closer to MSRP on Rubicons.

chris79 04-04-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangFoo (Post 21870841)
Got it; then that sounds pretty solid. I'm in Northern California and the dealers here are much closer to MSRP on Rubicons.

I thought it was decent, not a steal, but decent for around Denver...they fly off the lots around here. I'm just kicking myself for not buying the Rubi back in 12, I convinced myself I didn't need it.....until I did and couldn't get back to the lake I wanted to get to on a camping trip. ARB's your looking at 1500-2k an axle so I thought this was the best route.

brownbagg 04-05-2014 01:58 PM

no, not a good deal, one, i don't think any car worth 39k and is there15k different in the one you buying against the one you selling

chris79 04-15-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownbagg (Post 21892977)
no, not a good deal, one, i don't think any car worth 39k and is there15k different in the one you buying against the one you selling

No vehicle is worth what they price them at but thats not the point, the point is that IS what they price them at and people pay close to it for Jeeps. Find me a deal that will give you a Rubi 6-7k under sticker, the demand is too high.

IRSmart 04-16-2014 07:15 AM

remember, it's only a good deal if YOU think it is. if you need validation on whether it's a good deal or not, then there are other issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangFoo (Post 21870545)
Most dealers won't use KBB at all

fixed that for you. KBB is the least accurate source for trade info there is, bar none. any dealer that uses KBB as a primary appraisal tool is a fool. now, will they show you the KBB page vs. their trade allowance to justify it? maybe. but it's not what they used to appraise it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by brownbagg (Post 21892977)

aaaaan the potato van has arrived :laugh:

WDNewman 04-16-2014 09:03 AM

"Trading in" ANY vehicle you owe that kind of money on virtually guarantees that you are going to be upside down for several years. Somehow normal people go berserk when they start dealing with vehicles.
Keep what you have. Pay it off. Then if you must, sell it. THEN buy something using the money you get from selling it to put toward another vehicle. Read, study,learn.

Yesfan70 04-16-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDNewman (Post 22176129)
"Trading in" ANY vehicle you owe that kind of money on virtually guarantees that you are going to be upside down for several years. Somehow normal people go berserk when they start dealing with vehicles.
Keep what you have. Pay it off. Then if you must, sell it. THEN buy something using the money you get from selling it to put toward another vehicle. Read, study,learn.

I agree. I would rather pony up the cash for the lockers than to be that much upside down on a vehicle.

The time now is 03:41 PM.