2011 Liberty Limited - Possible Issues with CarFax? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 2011 Liberty Limited - Possible Issues with CarFax?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
LindsayInNYC

2011 Liberty Limited - Possible Issues with CarFax?

My husband and I looked at a 2011 Liberty Limited that almost seems too good to be true. Unless I'm just being crazy and paranoid.

It has 30,500 miles on it. According to the CarFax, it was a commercial vehicle purchased in Des Plaines, IL and registered in NJ. The CarFax shows no accidents, damage, airbag deployment, etc. The internet price is $20,700 and it's being sold in NJ as a certified pre-owned vehicle.

Here's my concern/worry (see CarFax info at bottom)... The car was owed as a commercial vehicle for 1 year, 2 months. It was sold April 2, 2012 at auction (should this concern me?). April 4, 2012 - lease vehicle sold - source is Fleet Management Co. (who are they, what do they do, should this concern me?). Current dealership offered it for sale on April 6, 2012. Current dealship updated service recored on April 10, 2012 to reflect tires balanced. On April 10, 2012 it was offered for sale as a certified pre-owned vehicle. April 17, 2012 shows updated DMV records in New Jersey. July 13, 2012, current dealer offered it for sale.

So my understanding is that the current dealership has owned this vehicle since April of 2012. I don't know if it's been on the lot since April or just July. According to the CarFax, the mileage on July 13, 2012 was only 6 miles higher than what was recorded on April 4, 2012. If, hypothetically, this car was damaged and it was unreported, that could explain the gap in time on the CarFax - time it took to repair the vehicle. The other thing is, if there was a 125-point service check, how come that doesn't show up at the CarFax either? (I plan on asking the selling dealership for copies of the service records anyways)

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, suspicious or what. Or if all my thoughts are reasonable and justified. The fact that it's being sold as a certified pre-owned makes me feel a little better. Should anything I mentioned raise a red flag? The fact that the color says black when it's not, it was sold at auction, whoever Fleet Management Co. is, etc.

Any help/input would be immensely appreciated!!

CARFAX:

01/21/2011
10 miles
New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Des Plaines, IL
Title #GD20110210785
Title issued or updated
Registration issued or renewed
First owner reported
Registered as commercial vehicle
Vehicle color noted as Black <-- It's actually dark blue, not black.

04/02/2012
Auto Auction Eastern Region
Sold at auction

04/04/2012
30,548 miles
Fleet Management Co. <-- What does this mean? Google has been no help.
Bordentown, NJ
Lease vehicle sold

04/06/2012
DEALERSHIP INFO REDACTED BY ME
Vehicle offered for sale

04/10/2012
DEALERSHIP INFO REDACTED BY ME
Tire(s) balanced

04/10/2012
Chrysler Certified Dealer
CITY, NJ
Offered for sale as a Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle
Certification includes:
Up to 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
3-month/3,000-mile Maximum Care Warranty
125-Point inspection

04/17/2012
30,549 miles
New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
CITY, NJ
Title #DA20121080169
Title issued or updated
Dealer took title of this vehicle
while it was in inventory
Vehicle color noted as Black

07/13/2012
30,554 miles
Dealer Inventory
CITY, NJ
Vehicle offered for sale

Last edited by LindsayInNYC; 11-07-2012 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Added information
LindsayInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
JeepCares

The VIN on the vehicle does match the VIN on the CARFAX, correct?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
LindsayInNYC

I will be looking at the car in person this evening. My husband went alone (during work) the first time. I have no reason to believe the VINs don't match (mileage is accurate) but I will double check to confirm tonight.
LindsayInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.